My town's 450th anniversary celebration kicking off!!

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
COSA_450_Logo_web.jpg

For seasoned locals like me, what this means is downtown is an area I want to avoid at all costs. :)

All kidding aside, there is a great deal of community pride in being the nation's oldest city, and being able to celebrate 450 years of history, the good and the bad.

History of St. Augustine

In the years leading up to the 400th celebration, there were terrible incidents of racially motivated crimes:

St. Augustine movement

I was just an infant then, and living in Chicago, but I have heard that during that time members of the KKK were deputized and allowed to run rampant in the community, harassing the black community and vandalizing businesses that did not continue the legacy of racial discrimination, and burning down the house of a prominent black doctor, a retired colonel in the U.S. Air Force.

At the time, the city's most prominent businessman told reporters, "our niggras were just fine 'til you Yankees came down here and told them they should be unhappy."

I had a great uncle who proudly told us kids how they lynched a black man some time around 1915 for looking a white woman in the eye. Thankfully, a lot has changed here in the last 100 years. We are a self-described drinking village with a fishing problem.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
USA's oldest city according to your Location! That's pretty cool! Celebrations can be a way of bringing people together.

MS140ukn

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
wow 450 years. congrats to st augustine florida! i went to florida 25 years ago.. south beach wasnt as cool as it is now. good place to retire

Top Bottom