Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
HOLD FAST

“Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who
promised is faithful. 24And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good
works, 25not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but
exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.”

- Heb 10:23-25 NKJV

"You shall fear the LORD your God; you shall serve Him, and to Him you shall hold fast."
- Deut 10:20 NKJV

“You must fear the Lord your God and worship Him and cling to Him.
Your oaths must be in His Name alone.”

- Deut 10:20 NLT

Hold fast: Cleave to. Cling to. Follow hard after. Abide in... Him.​

Dear friends, in a world where so many things compete for our attention, we, as Christians,
must take this charge ever so seriously. And even more, now, as the Day of the Lord seems to
be approaching quickly. The enemy of God and of our souls would have us relax our grip on our
Lord and His Kingdom, tempting us with the worldly 'gods' such as money & power & status
among man, as well as 'gods' of lust, sex and sensuality. These are the things Christ came and
died to set us free from; things which we used to serve and follow after; things which only bring
death; things which themselves are perishing.

“Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the
Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes,
and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world. 17 And the world is passing away,
and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.”

- 1 John 2:15-17 NKJV

Wrote this essay a couple years ago, and it becomes more real to me almost daily.
For those interested, the entire article can be seen here -

http://to-him-who-overcomes.com/files/documents/HOLD-FAST-mdb.pdf

Peace & Blessings as you walk with Jesus and hold fast to Him,
Michael

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Could you copy and paste your essay here so we don't have to download it?

Michael

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Could you copy and paste your essay here so we don't have to download it?

Yes! It is 6-pages long though. ;)
I'm off to work now, will post later. Thanks!

Peace & Blessings!

Michael

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
HOLD FAST (part 1)

HOLD FAST
Michael Biggs

“Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who
promised is faithful. 24And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good
works, 25not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but
exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.”

- Heb 10:23-25 NKJV

"You shall fear the LORD your God; you shall serve Him, and to Him you shall hold fast."
- Deut 10:20 NKJV

“You must fear the Lord your God and worship Him and cling to Him.
Your oaths must be in His Name alone.”

- Deut 10:20 NLT

Hold fast: Cleave to. Cling to. Follow hard after. Abide in... Him.​

Dear friends, in a world where so many things compete for our attention, we, as Christians,
must take this charge ever so seriously. And even more, now, as the Day of the Lord seems to
be approaching quickly. The enemy of God and of our souls would have us relax our grip on our
Lord and His Kingdom, tempting us with the worldly 'gods' such as money & power & status
among man, as well as 'gods' of lust, sex and sensuality. These are the things Christ came and
died to set us free from; things which we used to serve and follow after; things which only bring
death; things which themselves are perishing.

“Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the
Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes,
and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world. 17 And the world is passing away,
and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.”

- 1 John 2:15-17 NKJV

We who have decided to follow Jesus are to let go of these corruptible things and grasp the
eternal things of God. Oh, the promise we read above – “he who does the will of God abides
forever.”

I love Jesus’ declaration after His encounter with the Samaritan women at Jacob’s Well. Our
Lord said His sustenance, His food, was to “do the will of God.”
“My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work.” (John 4:34)

Indeed, Jesus now “lives forever.” And He has invited us to join Him in “immortality” by
making Him our daily sustenance; our “daily Bread.” As we partake of Him we are doing God’s
will, and we too will reap the reward of “everlasting Life.”

“I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread he will
live forever.”
– John 6:51 NKJV

May our desire be for that spiritual Bread, rather than that which our human appetites crave.
Those in the world will think we are strange, and may ridicule us. They cannot understand those
who “do not live the rest of their earthly lives for evil human desires, but rather for the will of
God.”
(1Pet 4:2 NIV)

Continuing in his letter, Peter reminds and cautions us who strive to live for the “will of
God... “For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do—living in
debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry. 4 They are surprised
that you do not join them in their reckless, wild living, and they heap abuse on you.”

- 1Pet 4:3-4 NIV

“In the past” means these has set aside (repented of) those things which mark immaturity and
foolishness. Specifically, Peter is writing these words not to the church-goer, but to the “elect
according to the foreknowledge of God the Father.”
(1Pet 1:2 NKJV)

The Apostles, in their epistles, were always addressing those who had truly begun the journey
of discipleship. And the exhortation was to “hold fast” to what they had attained, even as they
strove to be perfected. Was not this Paul’s confession, as he wrote about the True Christian
goal… “that I may know Him (Christ) and the power of His resurrection, and may share His
sufferings, becoming like Him in His death, 11 that by any means possible I may attain the
resurrection from the dead.”
(Phil 3:10-11 ESV)

And he continues -- addressing again not the casual church attender, but the “saints”, “God’s
people united with the Messiah Yeshua”
(Phil 1:1 CJB). That “united” being yoked to Jesus death
by our baptism, separation from the world and consecration to Him. To this level of attainment
let us hold fast, “not shrinking back to destruction.” (Heb 10:39) -- “Let those of us then who
are mature be of the same mind; and if you think differently about anything, this too God will
reveal to you. 16 Only let us hold fast to what we have attained.”
- Phil 3:15-16 NRSV

May we lay hold of the Truth of God’s Word, be ever pressing in and be counted with those
who “formerly walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the
power of the air, of the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience. 3 Among them
we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of
the mind, and were by nature children of wrath.”
(Eph 2:2-3 NAS)

These passages remind us that we ourselves once lived as those in the world still do now, and
as well caution us to expect persecution. But that is the world. Many of us used to follow after
these false 'gods' and live recklessly. And now we are called to "be renewed in our minds" and
exhorted to "hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering", without trying to live
with one foot in God's Kingdom and the other in the world.

So we repent, turning from destructive behavior, and seek to find our place in the body of
Christ. And here we must be perhaps even more careful to hold fast to the Truth of God, for
even from church pulpits false doctrines arise which are pleasing to the ear, but are not of God.
The Scripture forewarns us -
“If there arises among you a prophet or a dreamer of dreams, and he gives you a sign or a
wonder, 2 and the sign or the wonder comes to pass, of which he spoke to you, saying, ‘Let us
go after other gods’—which you have not known—‘and let us serve them,’ 3 you shall not
listen to the words of that prophet or that dreamer of dreams, for the Lord your God is testing
you to know whether you love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your
soul. 4 You shall walk after the Lord your God and fear Him, and keep His commandments
and obey His voice; you shall serve Him and hold fast to Him.”

- Deut 13:1-4 NKJV

Over the centuries, and I believe even more so now, doctrines have arisen which focus on what
we can get from God, rather than on God Himself. Among them the 'faith and prosperity'
message and some of the physical 'healing' ministries which I've personally seen operate, as
well as other doctrines that seek to glorify money & power & status among men, rather than
the giving of glory & honor & praise to the King of kings.

We are to cleave tight to our hope in the Eternal promises of God, and let go of those worldly
things which are perishing. Fame & fortune & earthly possessions will not endure forever.
Indeed, they will pass away. But that which is of Christ will never fade away. The Apostles and
early disciples knew this. Peter prayed that we would persevere through this life, holding fast to
our hope in Christ, that we might receive the fullness of the promises of God -
“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant
mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the
dead, 4 to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in
heaven for you, 5 who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be
revealed in the last time.
6 In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by
various trials, 7 that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that
perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation
of Jesus Christ, 8 whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet
believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, 9 receiving the end of your
faith—the salvation of your souls.”

- 1Pet 1:3-9 NKJV

(to be continued in part 2)

Michael

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
HOLD FAST (part 2)

Throughout life's trials, which will either refine our faith or destroy it, we must hold fast to the
One who is able to keep us by His power. Regardless of our circumstances, whether we
perceive them to be good or bad, the charge is eternal -

“You shall walk after the LORD your God and fear Him, and keep His commandments and
obey His voice; you shall serve Him and hold fast to Him."
- Deut 13:4 NKJV

I love how Strong's defines the Hebrew word for 'hold fast' -
'dabaq' - to cling, cleave, keep close, and yields the noun form
for 'glue' and also the more abstract ideas of 'loyalty and
devotion'. (Heb #1692)

In the Greek, we have the word ‘tēreō’ which is translated –
keep, preserve, hold fast. With the idea of guarding, not
allowing to escape. (Gr #5083)

In Genesis, when God presented Eve to Adam, he said concerning their union - "Therefore
shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be
one flesh."
- Gen 2:24 KJV

That word "cleave" again is the Hebrew word 'dabaq.' As a husband and wife are to become
“one flesh”, so too we are to become intimately “one” with our God. His Word is to be adhered
to us. Jesus prayer is that we should be one with Him and the Father as They are One. He says
to you and to me - "Abide in Me, and I in you." - John 15:4a

Truly, this is the most incredible promise in the Scripture. To be one with Jesus, even as He is
One with God. Do we see that this means to be one with God as well? If a man had said this I
might doubt, but it was the Lord Jesus Himself who uttered these words, in His prayer to God -
“The glory which You have given Me I have given to them, that they may be one, just as We
are one; 23 I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected into one.”
– John 17:22-23 NAS

One. “unity”, “concord” in the Greek. As Adam & Eve were united and called one by God… as
Jesus said that He & the Father are One (John 10:30) … Some are destined to become one with
Them. And we shall cling to one another, Eternally inseparable.

Yes, we are commanded to stick to our God like glue, allowing nothing to tear us away.
Temptations, trials & testings will come, Jesus told us they would. And God will allow these to
see where our hearts truly lie. And we must adhere to His Word, regardless of circumstances.
God gave the above commandments in Deuteronomy 10:20 and 13:4 to His people Israel as
they journeyed in the wilderness on the way to the Promised Land. When Jesus addresses the
New Testament end time churches His charge is the same. As we journey through this life with
the hope of dwelling with Him in His Eternal Kingdom, we are commanded to do likewise.
To those who remained pure even in the midst of the church which tolerated sexual immorality
He says -

“ But hold fast what you have till I come. 26 And he who overcomes, and keeps My works until
the end, to him I will give power over the nations— 27 ‘He shall rule them with a rod of iron;
They shall be dashed to pieces like the potter’s vessels’— as I also have received from My
Father; 28 and I will give him the morning star.”

- Rev 2:25-28 NKJV

To the church that had great fame among men He admonishes -
“Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die, for I have not
found your works perfect before God. 3 Remember therefore how you have received and heard;
hold fast and repent. Therefore if you will not watch, I will come upon you as a thief, and you
will not know what hour I will come upon you.”

- Rev 3:2-3 NKJV

Even to those who were walking worthy of His Name he warns -
"Behold, I am coming quickly! Hold fast what you have, that no one may take your crown."
- Rev 3:11 NKJV

And to each of those seven Christian churches, these words of instruction and encouragement
are followed with great and wonderful promises to those who do indeed hold fast to the Truth,
cling to Him, truly repent, and overcome. The wisdom of these commands, the understanding
of what we must do, comes as we obey and walk according to the Holy Spirit -
"He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches."

Let us be aware that we can be deceived by the world, and even in the church, if we are not
careful. May we be ever pressing in to know Christ, strengthening our bond to Him, that we be
found “blameless, as a steward of God, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, not given to wine,
not violent, not greedy for money, 8 but hospitable, a lover of what is good, sober-minded, just,
holy, self-controlled, 9 holding fast the faithful word as he has been taught, that he may be
able, by sound doctrine, both to exhort and convict those who contradict.”
(Titus 1:7-9 NKJV)

In Numbers 25, many of God's chosen people sinned greatly against Him, bowing down to other
'gods.' Verse 3 says "Israel joined themselves to Baal of Peor, and the anger of the LORD was
aroused against Israel." The consequences - He destroyed them.
Yet not all loosed their grip on the Holy One of Israel. The Scripture tells of those who chose to
cleave unto the Lord God even as those around them committed fornication and worshipped
false gods. In the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, there were those who held fast
to the One True God.

“Your eyes have seen what the Lord did at Baal Peor; for the Lord your God has destroyed
from among you all the men who followed Baal of Peor. 4 But you who held fast to
the Lord your God are alive today, every one of you.”
- Deut 4:3-4 NKJV

Those who held fast, kept close, clave to the Lord preserved their lives. Dear saints, that charge
is for us as well, in even greater measure, as we fight to stay alive spiritually.
Paul exhorts all Christians in his letter to the Philippians -
“Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed… work out your own salvation with fear
and trembling; 13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.
14 Do all things without complaining and disputing, 15 that you may become blameless and
harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation,
among whom you shine as lights in the world, 16 holding fast the word of Life.”

- Phil 2:12-16 NKJV

May it be said of us, as the Scripture declares of King Hezekiah -
"He trusted in the LORD God of Israel, so that after him was none like him among all the
kings of Judah, nor who were before him. For he held fast (clave) to the LORD; he did not
depart from following Him, but kept His commandments."
- 2Kings 18:5-6 NKJV

Amen.

"Yahweh your God is the One whom you must fear and serve; to Him you must hold firm; in
His Name take your oaths."

- Deut 10:20 New Jerusalem Bible

Lord Jesus, we chose this day to accept Your command; to turn from our own perceived
strengths and cleave to You, our Rock. We resolve to let go of the false gods in whom we've
trusted, repenting of known sins, ceasing to walk after the lusts of our flesh, and hold fast to
You, our Provider, our Redeemer, our King. Be the Ruler of our hearts this day and forever.
Guide us by your Holy Spirit as we take time to listen and hear. Reveal to us Your Truth, and
Your plan for each of our lives.
Thank You, Lord for all that You do for us. Thank You for Your love, mercy and grace. May
all we are be a witness unto You as a light shining brightly in the darkness. May all we do
serve to strengthen Your body and bring glory to Your Holy Name. Amen.

Friends, that is my personal prayer.

God bless you & keep you & guide you, always.
Michael
http://to-him-who-overcomes.com/

“Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God
in Christ Jesus for you.
19 Do not quench the Spirit. 20 Do not despise prophecies. 21 Test all things; hold fast what is
good. 22Abstain from every form of evil.”

- 1Thess 5:16-22

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Have you heard of the term sacrificium intellectus? It means what is says...sacrifice of the intellect. When we hold fast by faith in the Triune God we believe things that aren't very reasonable (the Gospel/cross is foolishness to those who are perishing!) and can only do so because of the power of the Holy Spirit. :)

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
It's important to note that God holds fast to us. When God, by unmerited grace, chooses to redeem us, he also chooses to keep us and be with us. Therefore, we hold fast precisely because God HOLDS us.
Like a Father saving his child from a burning building, our Father grabs us and carry's us out to safety while we hug him tightly. But, make NO mistake...God is NOT going to drop us and leave us in His rescue of us from those burning flames. We are His children. He will never leave us, nor forsake us.
Matthew 28:20 And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

Hebrews 13:5-6 Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” So we can confidently say, “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?”
John 10:14-18,27-30 I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd. For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father.” My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me,is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.”

Michael

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
It's important to note that God holds fast to us. When God, by unmerited grace, chooses to redeem us, he also chooses to keep us and be with us. Therefore, we hold fast precisely because God HOLDS us.
Like a Father saving his child from a burning building, our Father grabs us and carry's us out to safety while we hug him tightly. But, make NO mistake...God is NOT going to drop us and leave us in His rescue of us from those burning flames. We are His children. He will never leave us, nor forsake us.
Matthew 28:20 And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

Hebrews 13:5-6 Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” So we can confidently say, “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?”
John 10:14-18,27-30 I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd. For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father.” My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me,is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.”

These verses are indeed True; True to those to whom the Lord is addressing, and True to those who are found worthy to receive them.
The Scripture has much to say concerning the need for us to "walk worthy" of our "calling, of the Gospel, of the Kingdom, of Christ, and of God" if we are to inherit the promises of God.
I'm currently teaching on 1Cor 10 where Paul addresses the saints and warns us that although we are saved, baptized, have the Spirit, and are following Christ, we can fall short of the goal and perish in the way if we are not watchful, obedient, and found worthy.
Presently working on part 8 of the study I've taught at our church - http://to-him-who-overcomes.com/entries/1corinthians-10-study

And again, as nearly all I share, it's a little long, but using solely the canon of Scripture I delve into this Truth of having to be found worthy in God's eyes if we are to receive the promises of Revelation 2 & 3 -
https://youtu.be/TjY7Y0ryRkc

All I can say is that I am pursuing after what God has called me personally to. Your calling may be different. If you're faithful to God and endure til the end you will be saved. God will be pleased with each of us if we use the talents He has entrusted to us. We need not compare ourselves with others, or mock what we do not understand. But God does desire that we "have ears to hear what the Spirit is saying to the churches", and I am listening. May that be True of each of us.

God's wisdom and understanding to all,
Michael

Webster

Religious Affiliation
Methodist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
HOLD FASTDear friends, in a world where so many things compete for our attention, we, as Christians,
death; things which themselves are perishing.​
Don't forget that we must also hold fast to our faith and belief as Christians in the face of an increasingly "go along to get along" attitude that society has, this attitude that we must bend the knee in order to curry favor w/the broader society....

...well, maybe its' just me but I don't want to "bend the knee", I, as a Christian, want to be a beacon of light and hope (as I'm sure all of us want to be in our own ways) to the broader society that we live amongst; as we continue in our Christian walk, we must always remember the words of Jesus in Matthew 7:13-14,
13 Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. 14 Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
These verses are indeed True; True to those to whom the Lord is addressing, and True to those who are found worthy to receive them.
The Scripture has much to say concerning the need for us to "walk worthy" of our "calling, of the Gospel, of the Kingdom, of Christ, and of God" if we are to inherit the promises of God.
I'm currently teaching on 1Cor 10 where Paul addresses the saints and warns us that although we are saved, baptized, have the Spirit, and are following Christ, we can fall short of the goal and perish in the way if we are not watchful, obedient, and found worthy.
Presently working on part 8 of the study I've taught at our church - http://to-him-who-overcomes.com/entries/1corinthians-10-study

And again, as nearly all I share, it's a little long, but using solely the canon of Scripture I delve into this Truth of having to be found worthy in God's eyes if we are to receive the promises of Revelation 2 & 3 -
https://youtu.be/TjY7Y0ryRkc

All I can say is that I am pursuing after what God has called me personally to. Your calling may be different. If you're faithful to God and endure til the end you will be saved. God will be pleased with each of us if we use the talents He has entrusted to us. We need not compare ourselves with others, or mock what we do not understand. But God does desire that we "have ears to hear what the Spirit is saying to the churches", and I am listening. May that be True of each of us.

God's wisdom and understanding to all,
Michael

Nowhere in 1 Corinthians 10 does Paul ever say or imply that an adopted child of God can perish. I suggest you are misreading and misapplying the passage significantly. In fact, I suggest Paul ensures just the opposite of your claim.
While we certainly will fall, Paul encourages the Corinthians to remove themselves from the pagan practices they were once involved in. But, he tells the Corinthians that they have a position in Christ that makes them one with Christ.
1 Corinthians 10:12-17
Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall. No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.
Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry. I speak as to sensible people; judge for yourselves what I say. The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ? Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body, for we all partake of the one bread.

Paul never says what you claim. You have twisted Paul's comment about being immersed (baptized) into Moses and the failure of Israel under the Mosaic covenant with God's New covenant. You have applied physical perishing in the wilderness to salvation. Your application and attempted connection is wrong and thus makes your claim about the elect perishing entirely incorrect.

Paul addresses the saints and warns us that although we are saved, baptized, have the Spirit, and are following Christ, we can fall short of the goal and perish in the way if we are not watchful, obedient, and found worthy.

Last edited:

Michael

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Nowhere in 1 Corinthians 10 does Paul ever say or imply that an adopted child of God can perish. I suggest you are misreading and misapplying the passage significantly. In fact, I suggest Paul ensures just the opposite of your claim.
While we certainly will fall, Paul encourages the Corinthians to remove themselves from the pagan practices they were once involved in. But, he tells the Corinthians that they have a position in Christ that makes them one with Christ.
1 Corinthians 10:12-17
Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall. No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.
Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry. I speak as to sensible people; judge for yourselves what I say. The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ? Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body, for we all partake of the one bread.

Paul never says what you claim. You have twisted Paul's comment about being immersed (baptized) into Moses and the failure of Israel under the Mosaic covenant with God's New covenant. You have applied physical perishing in the wilderness to salvation. Your application and attempted connection is wrong and thus makes your claim about the elect perishing entirely incorrect.

I can see you & I will probably never agree on doctrine. That's ok. I know what I preach is Truth. There are and will be those who hear. Most will not. Most turned away from Jesus when He presented them with Truth that shook them from their comfort zone and worldly understanding of things. This I can assure you... Paul would totally agree with the way I have presented his teaching. To believe as the masses in the assemblies do today, one has to ignore a plethora of Scripture.
If we think we have arrived, or have already been perfected, or even fully adopted, then we are in deception. "He who endures til the end shall be saved."

I honestly have no time for debating. I'm very good at it, but there is no fruit to be born in proving my point, and God has called me to teach not argue. Besides raising my Special Needs son, working as an HVAC Contractor, and teaching at the churches I'm involved with when asked, God led me to start my website and I share as He leads. If people visit and glean Truth that's great; if not, then so be it. I'm not trying to be 'popular.' This is about Christ. Again, knowing that the Apostles & Prophets & Jesus Himself were greatly persecuted, ignored and envied, makes me know I am in good company; as long as I keep my eyes fixed on Jesus and obey God's will for my life.

Peace & Blessings to you, sir, as you walk with Jesus.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
I can see you & I will probably never agree on doctrine. That's ok. I know what I preach is Truth. There are and will be those who hear. Most will not. Most turned away from Jesus when He presented them with Truth that shook them from their comfort zone and worldly understanding of things. This I can assure you... Paul would totally agree with the way I have presented his teaching. To believe as the masses in the assemblies do today, one has to ignore a plethora of Scripture.
If we think we have arrived, or have already been perfected, or even fully adopted, then we are in deception. "He who endures til the end shall be saved."

I honestly have no time for debating. I'm very good at it, but there is no fruit to be born in proving my point, and God has called me to teach not argue. Besides raising my Special Needs son, working as an HVAC Contractor, and teaching at the churches I'm involved with when asked, God led me to start my website and I share as He leads. If people visit and glean Truth that's great; if not, then so be it. I'm not trying to be 'popular.' This is about Christ. Again, knowing that the Apostles & Prophets & Jesus Himself were greatly persecuted, ignored and envied, makes me know I am in good company; as long as I keep my eyes fixed on Jesus and obey God's will for my life.

Peace & Blessings to you, sir, as you walk with Jesus.

I notice no scripture for your point. It is possible you don't preach truth and thus those who hear what you say are receiving falsehood rather than truth.
What is true is that 1 Corinthians 10 does not teach what you have claimed. Shall we spend time observing what Paul actually stated or shall we just take your word for it and imagine it is true?
Why come to a discussion board if you have no desire to sharpen and be sharpened? Or do you just hope people will go listen to you talk?
May God bless you as he reveals grace to you.

Michael

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I notice no scripture for your point. It is possible you don't preach truth and thus those who hear what you say are receiving falsehood rather than truth.
What is true is that 1 Corinthians 10 does not teach what you have claimed. Shall we spend time observing what Paul actually stated or shall we just take your word for it and imagine it is true?
Why come to a discussion board if you have no desire to sharpen and be sharpened? Or do you just hope people will go listen to you talk?
May God bless you as he reveals grace to you.

You really want to stir up trouble for some reason. Stirring strife is truly unbecoming of True saints of God. I'll try one more time though, then shake the dust from my feet. I'm too old & tired and busy with my family and teaching the Truth of God's Word to get caught up in nonsense.
The Bible Study I am doing on 1Cor 10 (which I taught for 3 months at church) can be found - backed up with a ton of Scripture - on my site. https://to-him-who-overcomes.com/entries/1corinthians-10-study
Up to you if you really want to check it out. Don't be afraid of what you'll find out from the Word of God... yes, it may change your viewpoint, but if it IS TRUTH, then don't you want all of God? Or are you satisfied with just a tiny bit? Up to you, son.
If God has called you as one of the Elect, may you not shrink back, being enticed by the carnal mind. For only those as Joshua and Caleb will inherit the promises.
I came here to fellowship with the saints, not argue with those who are stubborn and refuse to graduate to the "meat" of God's Word.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
STAFF NOTICE (and not just directed at one person):

We all are studying God's Word. We all believe what we believe because we feel it's the truth.

Let's stop with the digs on others here at the site. Just state your beliefs and don't knock down the next guy making him feel inadequate about his walk with God. We are His children and need to treat each other with love and I don't see that all the time around here on the site. I see a lot of undue pettiness.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
You really want to stir up trouble for some reason. Stirring strife is truly unbecoming of True saints of God. I'll try one more time though, then shake the dust from my feet. I'm too old & tired and busy with my family and teaching the Truth of God's Word to get caught up in nonsense.
The Bible Study I am doing on 1Cor 10 (which I taught for 3 months at church) can be found - backed up with a ton of Scripture - on my site. https://to-him-who-overcomes.com/entries/1corinthians-10-study
Up to you if you really want to check it out. Don't be afraid of what you'll find out from the Word of God... yes, it may change your viewpoint, but if it IS TRUTH, then don't you want all of God? Or are you satisfied with just a tiny bit? Up to you, son.
If God has called you as one of the Elect, may you not shrink back, being enticed by the carnal mind. For only those as Joshua and Caleb will inherit the promises.
I came here to fellowship with the saints, not argue with those who are stubborn and refuse to graduate to the "meat" of God's Word.
I call out your false teaching, Michael. You have done an admirable job of lifting yourself up and placing the burden for salvation upon yourself as you attempt to rip that responsibility away from God.
Your teaching is yet another version of the Judaizers in Galatians who taught that although Jesus saves, a person would need to maintain their salvation by keeping the law. Paul condemned such teaching and called it anathema.
Is God not capable of caring for His sheep, Michael?

John 10:1-5,7-11,14-18,25-30 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door but climbs in by another way, that man is a thief and a robber. But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. To him the gatekeeper opens. The sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes before them, and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. A stranger they will not follow, but they will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers.” So Jesus again said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. All who came before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd. For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father.” Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father’s name bear witness about me, but you do not believe because you are not among my sheep. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me,is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.”
John 6:26-29,36-40 Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, you are seeking me, not because you saw signs, but because you ate your fill of the loaves. Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you. For on him God the Father has set his seal.” Then they said to him, “What must we do, to be doing the works of God?” Jesus answered them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent.” But I said to you that you have seen me and yet do not believe. All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out. For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day. For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.”
John 17:12-26 While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled. But now I am coming to you, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have my joy fulfilled in themselves. I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one. They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. Sanctify themin the truth; your word is truth. As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. And for their sake I consecrate myself,that they also may be sanctifiedin truth. “I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me. Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world. O righteous Father, even though the world does not know you, I know you, and these know that you have sent me. I made known to them your name, and I will continue to make it known, that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.”

Michael, did Jesus lie? Is Jesus insufficient? When God wills to adopt, can humans defeat God and cause God to abandon His children?
Your teaching answers...yes...to all the questions I just asked.

Michael

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Even Paul, the Apostle whose writings we use to "prove" unscriptural doctrines of 'faith alone' and OSAS - knew and taught as well that we must "walk worthy" and "hold fast" if we are to attain to what God has called us to. Speaking directly of himself, he writes -

"Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. 25 Everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things. They then do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. 26 Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air; 27 but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified."- 1Cor 9:24-27

Paul knew that although God has called and saved him and commissioned him and empowered him to preach Truth, he could still fall short of the goal if he messed up.
If Paul had to do such, can we really still cling to a belief that a mere repeating of a prayer or a statement of faith somehow assures us of all the promises of God? No. Of course we cannot. The promises of God in Revelation 2 & 3 are only to "those who overcome." And how DO we overcome... "by the Blood of the Lamb, the word of our testimony and loving not our lives unto death." (Rev 12:11) The modern songs greatly emphasize the first two clauses, but almost without exception neglect to mention the third part which is what is required of us as we "work out our own salvation with fear and trembling." (Phil 2:12)

May we set aside the filters of religion and man's tradition and see the Word for what it actually says.
Peace & Blessings, Wisdom and Understanding to all.

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge;
Fools despise wisdom and instruction."
- Prov 1:7

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
177497d7d001dd101d65506520c43fd2.jpg

Michael

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
STAFF NOTICE (and not just directed at one person):

We all are studying God's Word. We all believe what we believe because we feel it's the truth.

Let's stop with the digs on others here at the site. Just state your beliefs and don't knock down the next guy making him feel inadequate about his walk with God. We are His children and need to treat each other with love and I don't see that all the time around here on the site. I see a lot of undue pettiness.

Amen. I personally apologize if I've made any unnecessary digs at any individual. I know many will be offended at things I share, just as most found offense with what Jesus, the Apostles & Prophets taught. I often speak boldly in what I teach knowing that the spirit realm is listening. Our fight is not against flesh & blood, "but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavens." (Eph 6:12)

I was informed of the "ignore" option on this site, so I haven't read any of the posts recently from a certain individual who found great objection to what I shared. Not sure of what he might have said, and honestly, it doesn't matter. There is no fruit in arguing. Fellowship I love. I could sit all day (and have!) with those who have a hunger for the things of the Kingdom of God and are willing to delve into the Scriptures together. But drama and contention I have no time or patience for. Too old & tired to get that riled up anymore over stuff that bears no Eternal Kingdom fruit. ;)

And, please, if I am out of line in the way I address any person, let me know and I will make amends. Again, many may be offended at my teaching of the Word, but never is my desire to attack anyone.

Thanks for letting me share on this site. May God bring the increase from anything that is from Him.
Peace & Blessings,
Michael

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I find it odd that the Apostles can say "you shouldn't do this, be obedient, put on the full armor of God, be faithful unto the end" but if anyone even utters these teachings today they are flamed as a false teachers of Christ.
The Apostles spoke these on to Christians called to be Saints, John also reveals to the seven churches that they should repent or be snuffed out.
Michael isn't transforming Gods word, he is discussing parables which in being so you will find no direct concordance in scripture to back it up indefinitely, it comes from the Spirit speaking to spiritual ears. I don't believe Michael is expressing work salvation or synergy, he is basically expressing the "Lord Lord!!" hypocrisies of many denominational Christians who should probably hear him out, maybe it would direct them to the Gospel itself... Yes there are still souls in church buildings that have not converted or have no understanding of the new birth.
We are called to preach the gospel and we pre ordained to do so, Michaels teachings may not be directed to you but if it's for even one person out there, who are you to thwart Gods ordered works for any of his servants?

:)

Last edited:

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
I find it odd that the Apostles can say "you shouldn't do this, be obedient, put on the full armor of God, be faithful unto the end" but if anyone even utters these teachings today they are flamed as a false teachers of Christ.
The Apostles spoke these on to Christians called to be Saints, John also reveals to the seven churches that they should repent or be snuffed out.
Michael isn't transforming Gods word, he is discussing parables which in being so you will find no direct concordance in scripture to back it up indefinitely, it comes from the Spirit speaking to spiritual ears. I don't believe Michael is expressing work salvation or synergy, he is basically expressing the "Lord Lord!!" hypocrisies of many denominational Christians who should probably hear him out, maybe it would direct them to the Gospel itself... Yes there are still souls in church buildings that have not converted or have no understanding of the new birth.
We are called to preach the gospel and we pre ordained to do so, Michaels teachings may not be directed to you but if it's for even one person out there, who are you to thwart Gods ordered works for any of his servants?

:)
This thread is on holding fast. Michael teaches that God cannot hold us fast if we don't obey God. He teaches that believers can lose their salvation if they don't merit God's expectation of obedience.
I reject legalism that places one's salvation in the hands of man rather than one's salvation being held in the hands of God.
Scripture is very clear regarding God holding His sheep fast and protecting them.
If people wish to demand that they wrestle control of their salvation away from God and place their faith in themselves to please God, I will stand against such teaching. If those at CH are hell-bent on holding such doctrines, I will hand them over to God and let them suffer in misery as they worry about being holy enough.
Myself, I will live in the amazing grace of God's atoning work through Christ Jesus. I will rejoice that God will do the work of sanctification in my life and purify me according to His ordained will.

Top Bottom