Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I often feel luck that i was born and live in a time when there is such a great amount of knowledge about how to treat diabetes. Those a hundred or so years ago and for most of human history were not so lucky as this article talks about

Centuries later, people known as "water tasters" diagnosed diabetes by tasting the urine of people suspected to have it. If urine tasted sweet, diabetes was diagnosed. To acknowledge this feature, in 1675 the word "mellitus," meaning honey, was added to the name "diabetes," meaning siphon. It wasn't until the 1800s that scientists developed chemical tests to detect the presence of sugar in the urine.

"Diabetes: Early Treatments

As physicians learned more about diabetes, they began to understand how it could be managed. The first diabetes treatment involved prescribed exercise, often horseback riding, which was thought to relieve excessive urination.

In the 1700s and 1800s, physicians began to realize that dietary changes could help manage diabetes, and they advised their patients to do things like eat only the fat and meat of animals or consume large amounts of sugar. During the Franco-Prussian War of the early 1870s, the French physician Apollinaire Bouchardat noted that his diabetic patients' symptoms improved due to war-related food rationing, and he developed individualized diets as diabetes treatments. This led to the fad diets of the early 1900s, which included the "oat-cure," "potato therapy," and the "starvation diet."

In 1916, Boston scientist Elliott Joslin established himself as one of the world's leading diabetes experts by creating the textbook The Treatment of Diabetes Mellitus, which reported that a fasting diet combined with regular exercise could significantly reduce the risk of death in diabetes patients. Today, doctors and diabetes educators still use these principles when teaching their patients about lifestyle changes for the management of diabetes"

https://www.everydayhealth.com/diabetes/understanding/diabetes-mellitus-through-time.aspx

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Okay I couldn't read past the urine tasters part.

You're right that we're lucky to live in the times that we do but there is hope for the future generations who will have it even better when more advancements are made.

vince284

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes

You're right that we're lucky to live in the times that we do but there is hope for the future generations who will have it even better when more advancements are made.

I'm sure in the near future, diabetes will be cured.

Diabetes is one of the first diseases described with an Egyptian manuscript from c. 1500 BC mentioning "too great emptying of the urine." (Wikipedia)

Although still in the very early stages of development, cell therapy is one of the biggest hopes towards developing a cure for diabetes, especially for type 1 diabetes. Replacing the missing insulin-producing cells has the potential to recover normal insulin production and cure patients.
https://labiotech.eu/features/diabetes-treatment-cure-review/

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

From what I understand there is already an artificial pancreas and that has been created in Europe, but it is not available at this time in the U.S.

vince284

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
From what I understand there is already an artificial pancreas and that has been created in Europe, but it is not available at this time in the U.S.

The stuff I have read, they are not much different that the pump and sensor. They have a third component that tells the pump to deliver insulin according to the sensor information. Basically removing the patient out of the loop. My doctor didn't really want me to have one of those. Because when one part of it fails then the whole system needs to be changed. I wear a pump that delivers one unit of insulin per hour. When I am going to eat, I take the glucose information from the receiver (sensor transmits the data) and I enter that information into the pump controller and it gives me the insulin I need according to what my glucose level is at the time and also my carb intake. So I have two "pods" stuck to my body both water 100% water proof and the are both bluetooth, so no wires. I do have to carry a receiver and a pump controller... they both are the size of a old-school pager. I can receive the information from the glucose monitor on my cell phone, but I am waiting for my new pump which I will be able to also control from my cell phone! I was told it was in the mail. :(

Anyway, I will be able to get rid of the two controllers and just use my cell phone, essentially becoming the closed-loop system aka artificial pancreas. I will still have to administer my insulin, but I like that anyway... I don't want to give up too much control.

I have had both fail, not at one time, but they have both not worked. I do carry the old style prick the finger monitor and the needle and insulin with me at all times.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The stuff I have read, they are not much different that the pump and sensor. They have a third component that tells the pump to deliver insulin according to the sensor information. Basically removing the patient out of the loop. My doctor didn't really want me to have one of those. Because when one part of it fails then the whole system needs to be changed. I wear a pump that delivers one unit of insulin per hour. When I am going to eat, I take the glucose information from the receiver (sensor transmits the data) and I enter that information into the pump controller and it gives me the insulin I need according to what my glucose level is at the time and also my carb intake. So I have two "pods" stuck to my body both water 100% water proof and the are both bluetooth, so no wires. I do have to carry a receiver and a pump controller... they both are the size of a old-school pager. I can receive the information from the glucose monitor on my cell phone, but I am waiting for my new pump which I will be able to also control from my cell phone! I was told it was in the mail. :(

Anyway, I will be able to get rid of the two controllers and just use my cell phone, essentially becoming the closed-loop system aka artificial pancreas. I will still have to administer my insulin, but I like that anyway... I don't want to give up too much control.

I have had both fail, not at one time, but they have both not worked. I do carry the old style prick the finger monitor and the needle and insulin with me at all times.

Yes, that is what I have. Except you have to calibrate it three times a day

vince284

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Yes, that is what I have. Except you have to calibrate it three times a day

Really? I don't have to calibrate mine. I do change my pump out every three days and my sensor every ten days, and the transmitter in my sensor I change every 90 days. What a pain, but 100 times better than the old method. If I have to be Type 1, guess it's the best choice.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Really? I don't have to calibrate mine. I do change my pump out every three days and my sensor every ten days, and the transmitter in my sensor I change every 90 days. What a pain, but 100 times better than the old method. If I have to be Type 1, guess it's the best choice.

I change the pump every three days and the sensor is to be changed every seven days. I was told today that sometimes the first day the sensor is not that accurate, but the longer you have it on the more accurate it becomes.

vince284

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
I change the pump every three days and the sensor is to be changed every seven days. I was told today that sometimes the first day the sensor is not that accurate, but the longer you have it on the more accurate it becomes.

Is your transmitter built into the sensor? I do notice that when I replace my sensor I register 10-25 mg/dl higher but it normalizes in a few hours. When I change my sensor, I pull out the transmitter and then reuse it in the new sensor. I get a new transmitter every 90 days. When I first learn about the device I now have it required manual testing twice a day to calibrate, but the model I have now I don't have to test unless my numbers are out of the norm for a long time.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Is your transmitter built into the sensor? I do notice that when I replace my sensor I register 10-25 mg/dl higher but it normalizes in a few hours. When I change my sensor, I pull out the transmitter and then reuse it in the new sensor. I get a new transmitter every 90 days. When I first learn about the device I now have it required manual testing twice a day to calibrate, but the model I have now I don't have to test unless my numbers are out of the norm for a long time.

I had a problem with the sensor I use again last night. My blood sugar was 141 and it suspended because it said I was low. This was at 1:48 am. I tried to recalibrate and it wouldn't accept it so I removed it. I think I am going to return the sensors and transmitter to the company and just use my insulin pump. It isn't very accurate and I don't need this frustration. The transmitter disconnects from the sensor and needs to be charged every seven days and then can be reused.

On a positive note, my blood sugars have been excellent lately

vince284

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
I had a problem with the sensor I use again last night. My blood sugar was 141 and it suspended because it said I was low. This was at 1:48 am. I tried to recalibrate and it wouldn't accept it so I removed it. I think I am going to return the sensors and transmitter to the company and just use my insulin pump. It isn't very accurate and I don't need this frustration. The transmitter disconnects from the sensor and needs to be charged every seven days and then can be reused.

On a positive note, my blood sugars have been excellent lately

Yay for the good sugar levels! I had a stretch were I was having pump and sensor failures, it is super frustrating when it happens away from home or in the middle of the night. But for the past few months everything has been relatively quiet. I too wanted to quit, but the stick the finger four times a day had gotten old. The four daily insulin injections weren't as bad but very inconvenient and disruptive to my life. I have to change my pump in a couple of hours and I'm at work, on well. I'll try to find a quiet place. Our office bathrooms aren't quite setup for this sort of thing. We do have a gym and a locker room, I usually go into one of the shower spaces, they at least have shelves and somewhere to sit.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yay for the good sugar levels! I had a stretch were I was having pump and sensor failures, it is super frustrating when it happens away from home or in the middle of the night. But for the past few months everything has been relatively quiet. I too wanted to quit, but the stick the finger four times a day had gotten old. The four daily insulin injections weren't as bad but very inconvenient and disruptive to my life. I have to change my pump in a couple of hours and I'm at work, on well. I'll try to find a quiet place. Our office bathrooms aren't quite setup for this sort of thing. We do have a gym and a locker room, I usually go into one of the shower spaces, they at least have shelves and somewhere to sit.

I usually just change the infusion set first thing in the morning on the day I need to change it.

Forgiven1

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Which type are each of you? If I were to venture a guess, I would say Type 1. I am Type 2.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Top Bottom