If you wanted to live in another country which one would it be?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
The only down side to Canada is the winter climate, but the west coast around Vancouver and on Vancouver island is quite pleasant.

leaf9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I am seeing a lot of people voting for Canada. Sounds like a location for our first CH get together some day! LOL

Biblicist

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I agree with MoreCoffee where I would go for Canada as well.

Tell me, as my wife and I only spent three days in Canada (did the tourist thing around Niagara Falls), this meant that we didn't really get a chance to try out their coffee, so my question is, as we discovered that Americans seem to struggle with making a good cup of coffee, is this something that the Canadians can do as well (or at least almost as well) as we do here in Australia?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

Tell me, as my wife and I only spent three days in Canada (did the tourist thing around Niagara Falls), this meant that we didn't really get a chance to try out their coffee, so my question is, as we discovered that Americans seem to struggle with making a good cup of coffee, is this something that the Canadians can do as well (or at least almost as well) as we do here in Australia?

I do not recall having any coffee when I was in Canada so if I did then it didn't leave a bad impressions (I would have remembered if it were horrible) and if I can't remember it then it wasn't wonderful because I'd remember if it were.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single

We make good cups of coffee. :)

Biblicist

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Well, something is implied with that.
At the risk of throwing in the proverbial spanner, I will have to confess that Australians tend to lean more toward Canada than we do with the USA, who knows, this could be due to us knowing more Americans than we do Canadians? I remember seeing an Australian documentary on a major Canadian snow resort (can't remember its name) where they mentioned that 80% of the itinerant staff were Australians. When I talk to fellow Christians about Canada and the USA, we tend to perceive Canada as being a very friendly country whereas the US is sadly known for both its internal violence and with the violence that it seems to export to other countries, particularly those who are in the Middle East.
In your defence, I do tell our friends that during our six weeks in the USA that we did not see any violence, though we came close to possibly being mugged in Baltimore but we quickly got ourselves out of a situation that we silly tourists should not have put ourselves within in the first place.

As the Canadian and Australian dollars seem to be kept at about the same rate against the US dollar, I would imagine that they will be seeing a lot more Australians over in Canada. When we were in the USA three years back our dollar was worth $1.05 against the greenback which suited us just nicely but now it's down around 71 cents and the Canadian dollar is about 75 cents.

Having said this, I have already planned our future trip to New England (USA) after we return back from the UK in a couple of years time.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
At the risk of throwing in the proverbial spanner, I will have to confess that Australians tend to lean more toward Canada than we do with the USA, who knows, this could be due to us knowing more Americans than we do Canadians? I remember seeing an Australian documentary on a major Canadian snow resort (can't remember its name) where they mentioned that 80% of the itinerant staff were Australians. When I talk to fellow Christians about Canada and the USA, we tend to perceive Canada as being a very friendly country whereas the US is sadly known for both its internal violence and with the violence that it seems to export to other countries, particularly those who are in the Middle East.
In your defence, I do tell our friends that during our six weeks in the USA that we did not see any violence, though we came close to possibly being mugged in Baltimore but we quickly got ourselves out of a situation that we silly tourists should not have put ourselves within in the first place.

As the Canadian and Australian dollars seem to be kept at about the same rate against the US dollar, I would imagine that they will be seeing a lot more Australians over in Canada. When we were in the USA three years back our dollar was worth $1.05 against the greenback which suited us just nicely but now it's down around 71 cents and the Canadian dollar is about 75 cents.

Having said this, I have already planned our future trip to New England (USA) after we return back from the UK in a couple of years time.

Yes, we do have some violence but most Americans are good hearted and kind. We were attacked and that is what took us to the Middle East. Actually I don't support the wars over there and many Americans do not support violence or war. I am a liberal here and many conservatives don't speak as I do. I'm sure we could find fault with Canada and Australia if we examined them as closely as you have our country.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

One problem with coffee in the US would seem to be that the masses have been convinced that "dark roast" and "sophisticated" are pretty much synonymous. Lots of coffee in the US is horribly over-roasted, to the point it could have started life as any old rubbish because about all you can taste is the characteristics of the roast rather than the bean.

Sometimes a dark roast works well and other times a light roast works well. It depends on the mean, if you dark-roast a Kenyan coffee you'll ruin it but if you light-roast a Brazilian coffee you'll miss out on the best of the flavors.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Outside the US the country does seem to be stereotyped based on rednecks who use stop signs to tune their shotgun sights and weigh more than their SUV. Which is sad because I don't think I've encountered a single person like that in my varied travels across 11 of the 50 states. I also felt safer in Manhatten with $3000 in cash in my pockets than I did in London with less than half that.

Media reports usually do little other than bolster whatever agenda the media wants to push. If 5 people get shot it makes the international news but if 8 people die in a car crash it barely gets a mention on the local news. One area I lived in the UK had periodic suspected gang-related violence and every once in a while there would be a local appeal for witnesses because someone got knifed, and the event didn't make the national news. Yet at the same time the national media was reporting a shooting in the US.

Biblicist

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
One problem with coffee in the US would seem to be that the masses have been convinced that "dark roast" and "sophisticated" are pretty much synonymous. Lots of coffee in the US is horribly over-roasted, to the point it could have started life as any old rubbish because about all you can taste is the characteristics of the roast rather than the bean.

Sometimes a dark roast works well and other times a light roast works well. It depends on the mean, if you dark-roast a Kenyan coffee you'll ruin it but if you light-roast a Brazilian coffee you'll miss out on the best of the flavors.
What you've said is much the same that we were told by a bakery owner in Strasburg just south of Lancaster PA, where he said, "Even though there is almost a Starbucks on every block in the US, most Americans seem to hate their coffee but we go there because its a cultural thing".

Being a Melbournian, where we take our coffee very . . . very seriously, I was looking forward to a good brew when we arrived in California but for the first few days what we got was less than average. For whatever reason, I presumed that the US would be the coffee capital of the world but by the end of the first week, where I thought that I had maybe gone to the wrong places, I then realised that this was the norm. As I drove for about 5000Km (3100 miles) across 12 States (but Virginia was an accident as I got lost where I ended up crossing the Potomac); it became a bit of a game to find a good brew. One of the barista's at a lodge in the Grand Canyon understood my 'plight' where he said that he knows that most Australians are not all that excited with their coffee, so he said that even though his machine was both old and small that he would 'try very hard to make us a good cappuccino'.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
What you've said is much the same that we were told by a bakery owner in Strasburg just south of Lancaster PA, where he said, "Even though there is almost a Starbucks on every block in the US, most Americans seem to hate their coffee but we go there because its a cultural thing".

Being a Melbournian, where we take our coffee very . . . very seriously, I was looking forward to a good brew when we arrived in California but for the first few days what we got was less than average. For whatever reason, I presumed that the US would be the coffee capital of the world but by the end of the first week, where I thought that I had maybe gone to the wrong places, I then realised that this was the norm. As I drove for about 5000Km (3100 miles) across 12 States (but Virginia was an accident as I got lost where I ended up crossing the Potomac); it became a bit of a game to find a good brew. One of the barista's at a lodge in the Grand Canyon understood my 'plight' where he said that he knows that most Australians are not all that excited with their coffee, so he said that even though his machine was both old and small that he would 'try very hard to make us a good cappuccino'.

Starbucks really is odd, they are billed as a company selling coffee when actually most of what they sell would be better described as a milk drink that contains a small amount of coffee. In many ways it seems to be a lifestyle product - you might not like coffee but it says something to be standing 38 people back in a line to buy overpriced coffee, to then be seen walking around clutching a cup that tells the world you bought overpriced coffee.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I do love coffee with hazelnut creamer in it

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Starbucks isn't the same throughout their locations even though they go through training. The one near me is AWFUL! I don't even crave it anymore.

I think coffee is an acquired taste though and if you like it one way you might not always like it that way as you age.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I do love coffee with hazelnut creamer in it

My wife likes creamers in coffee. I don't care for them myself, for me it's just coffee and either milk or half-and-half.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
My wife likes creamers in coffee. I don't care for them myself, for me it's just coffee and either milk or half-and-half.
I drink a lot of coffee black but sometime prefer the hazelnut flavor

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
If the climate gets warmer New Zealand might be a good choice. North of Auckland on the toe of the boot (so to speak). Ireland too would be a good choice - somewhere near Dublin or south of it. I've already said that Victoria in British Colombia would be good. Tasmania too would be good, perhaps west and south of Hobart.

Top Bottom