Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
“I insisted that you stop telling me that I am an Anabaptist and demanding that I prove 16th Century beliefs that I do not hold. I cannot and I will not.”
:hand:

Sounds like something that you should consider nailing to the cathedral door.:bishop2:

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Sounds like something that you should consider nailing to the cathedral door

.... perhaps he is now distancing himself from Credobaptism, TOO. Adding that to all the other baptism dogmas of the Baptists. Are there ANY baptism dogmas of the Baptists that he holds and will discuss?

See post #19 above.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I really cannot figure why our friend wants so badly to be considered a Credobaptist anyway, considering that his beliefs do not accord with any church that actually IS Credobaptist in practice or with the meaning of the word itself.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I really cannot figure why our friend wants so badly to be considered a Credobaptist anyway, considering that his beliefs do not accord with any church that actually IS Credobaptist in practice or with the meaning of the word itself.

To the issue of Atpollard's ploy

He wants to define the word and dogma HIS way. Frankly, I permit that in debate. So I agreed. Especially since he had refused -over and over for months - to give substantiation for any of these Baptist dogmas he presented; nice to FINALLY after months, get a discussion that he flat out said he would NOT discuss. So, I agreed to stick to the ONE he would discuss. I agreed to HIS definition. And what happened? He states he will not discuss HIS topic that he gave HIS definition of. Hum.

It's interesting he started this thread rather than address His baptist dogmas (or even just the ONE he said he'd be willing to discuss IF we accepted HIS definition - which we did). Because it proves my point. The burden of proof lies with the one with the position, not those who don't hold to it. He wants those who do NOT teach a view to present a Scripture that states the view is wrong (a SILLY epistemology) but where is his verse, "Mary was NOT assumed into heaven." Where is his verse, "Mary had lots of sex and did not remain a virgin?" Nope. He wants the Catholics to show that the Assumption of Mary is TRUE (I think confident they don't have a Scripture that confirms it, which they don't CLAIM they do). Evidently forgetting HE doesn't have a verse that says, "Only those who have previously in chronological time have proven they had chosen Jesus as their personal Savior may be baptized." He calls out the Catholics for what he himself does. Ironically.

To the issue of the Assumption:

Frankly, I consider the Assumption of Mary to have more validity than the Anabaptist dogma of Credobaptism. NEITHER is stated in Scripture. That's simply the reality. Catholics admit it, Baptists don't (Catholics get points from me for honesty). BUT the Assumption has a lot of history, ecumenism and the "rule of faith" going for it - all ENTIRELY, WHOLLY missing from Credobaptism.

True, the Assumption cannot be traced to the First or Second Century, but Credobaptism can't be traced back earlier than the late 16th Century. The Assumption CAN be traced to the Early Church (which Credobaptism cannot) and for most of the history of Christianity, was ecumenically embraced (it had the "rule of faith", what every Christian believed). Now it STILL is not dogma in the Orthodox Church and ONLY became dogma in the RCC in 1870 (incredibly late, heck, Mormonism declared it's dogmas before that!), BUT it was held in faith for many centuries before that. Credobaptism was IN FACT ecumenically denied and rejected for CENTURIES. Something the Assumption hasn't been.

While I don't accept Credobaptism or the Assumption, I must admit the Assumption is much more valid than is the Anabaptist invention of Credobaptism.

Last edited:

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
To the issue of Atpollard's ploy

He wants to define the word and dogma HIS way. Frankly, I permit that in debate. So I agreed. Especially since he had refused -over and over for months - to give substantiation for any of these Baptist dogmas he presented; nice to FINALLY after months, get a discussion that he flat out said he would NOT discuss. So, I agreed to stick to the ONE he would discuss. I agreed to HIS definition. And what happened? He states he will not discuss HIS topic that he gave HIS definition of. Hum.

It's interesting he started this thread rather than address His baptist dogmas (or even just the ONE he said he'd be willing to discuss IF we accepted HIS definition - which we did). Because it proves my point. The burden of proof lies with the one with the position, not those who don't hold to it. He wants those who do NOT teach a view to present a Scripture that states the view is wrong (a SILLY epistemology) but where is his verse, "Mary was NOT assumed into heaven." Where is his verse, "Mary had lots of sex and did not remain a virgin?" Nope. He wants the Catholics to show that the Assumption of Mary is TRUE (I think confident they don't have a Scripture that confirms it, which they don't CLAIM they do). Evidently forgetting HE doesn't have a verse that says, "Only those who have previously in chronological time have proven they had chosen Jesus as their personal Savior may be baptized." He calls out the Catholics for what he himself does. Ironically.

To the issue of the Assumption:

Frankly, I consider the Assumption of Mary to have more validity than the Anabaptist dogma of Credobaptism. NEITHER is stated in Scripture. That's simply the reality. Catholics admit it, Baptists don't (Catholics get points from me for honesty). BUT the Assumption has a lot of history, ecumenism and the "rule of faith" going for it - all ENTIRELY, WHOLLY missing from Credobaptism.

True, the Assumption cannot be traced to the First or Second Century, but Credobaptism can't be traced back earlier than the late 16th Century. The Assumption CAN be traced to the Early Church (which Credobaptism cannot) and for most of the history of Christianity, was ecumenically embraced (it had the "rule of faith", what every Christian believed). Now it STILL is not dogma in the Orthodox Church and ONLY became dogma in the RCC in 1870 (incredibly late, heck, Mormonism declared it's dogmas before that!), BUT it was held in faith for many centuries before that. Credobaptism was IN FACT ecumenically denied and rejected for CENTURIES. Something the Assumption hasn't been.

While I don't accept Credobaptism or the Assumption, I must admit the Assumption is much more valid than is the Anabaptist invention of Credobaptism.

This is rich coming from the one who makes up church policy from biblical silence.
Keep telling yourself you have a legitimate argument. It's the only crutch you have.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The Assumption, however, is based on little more than the fact that one locale which was thought by the locals to be the burial place of the Virgin (and there are many others in a variety of different countries) created a legend which held that, when the grave was opened and found to be empty, the people said it could only be because God took her body up. That's it. The Catholic Church doesn't even take a stand on whether she was assumed alive or if it was just her corpse.

This dogma is neither Scriptural NOR in accord with the principles of Holy Tradition, so-called.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
This is rich coming from the one who makes up church policy from biblical silence.

You mean like "Thou canst NOT baptize any who hath not yet celebrated their Xth birthday?" Or like "Thou canst NOT baptize any unless and until they proveth they are among the unnamed few for whom Jesus died?" Or like "Thou canst NOT baptize any unless they hath previously stated they hath chosen Jesus as their personal Savior?" Or like "Thou canst NOT baptize any unless said persons entire body is submerged under water?" Are those the church polities you speak of, which are nowhere stated in Scripture (which is why we're STILL waiting for the verses that teach that?)

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
You mean like "Thou canst NOT baptize any who hath not yet celebrated their Xth birthday?" Or like "Thou canst NOT baptize any unless and until they proveth they are among the unnamed few for whom Jesus died?" Or like "Thou canst NOT baptize any unless they hath previously stated they hath chosen Jesus as their personal Savior?" Or like "Thou canst NOT baptize any unless said persons entire body is submerged under water?" Are those the church polities you speak of, which are nowhere stated in Scripture (which is why we're STILL waiting for the verses that teach that?)
Funny because nowhere have I stated an age of X. Keep the humor flowing, Josiah, cause I am laughing at your claims.

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I fixed this for you ...
...which is why we're STILL IGNORING the verses that teach ...
You are welcome. :happyeaster:

[read post 260 for the discussion you keep demanding and ignoring]

Last edited:

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Josiah said:
MennoSota said:
one who makes up church policy from biblical silence.

You mean like ...

"Thou canst NOT baptize any who hath not yet celebrated their Xth birthday?" (Baptist Dogma of Anti-Paedobaptism)

Or like "Thou canst NOT baptize any unless and until they proveth they are among the unnamed few for whom Jesus died?"

Or like "Thou canst NOT baptize any unless they hath previously stated they hath chosen Jesus as their personal Savior?" (Baptist Dogma of Credobaptism)

Or like "Thou canst NOT baptize any unless said persons entire body is submerged under water?" (Baptist Dogma of Immersion ONLY)

Are those the church polities you speak of, which are nowhere stated in Scripture, "biblical silence" (which is why we're STILL waiting for the verses that teach that?)

You mean all those church pollities (actually Dogmas) of the Anabaptiste/Baptists which they prove are nowhere taught in Scripture?

Funny because nowhere have I stated an age of X.

Baptists never do, thus the "X" ("X" standing for something unknown)

The Anti-Paedobaptism dogma of Anbaptists/Baptist is that we are forbidden to baptize "paedo" (a very, very loose, generic term for humans under the age of 20 or so; it could be one who is one day old or 20 years old). The Dogma is typically known as "Anti" (against) "PAEDO" (a younger person) "BAPTISM" Some Baptists aren't aware of the term for this dogma and may call it "Anti-Infant Baptism" (which is included in their dogma but actually the age is left very uncertain, undefined, undetermined). You won't state the age with the "ANTI" ends because Baptist dogma doesn't.

But you didn't address the post. You are against any dogma not taught in the Bible. So where are these Baptists dogmas taught in the Bible?

Where are the following verses:

"Thou canst NOT baptize any under the never-disclosed age of X" Anti-Paedobaptism dogma

"Thou canst NOT baptize any who hath not previously in chronological time proved they had chosen Jesus as their personal Savior??" The Credobaptism Dogma

"Thou canst NOT baptize any unless the entire body of the recipient is entirely immersed in and under water?" The Immersion Only dogma.

Or do you reject all these because they are NOT found in the Bible, they were all invented out of nothing in the late 16th Century by the Anabaptists?

Last edited:

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
The Assumption CAN be traced to the Early Church
and for most of the history of Christianity...
I don't accept ... the Assumption...

Indeed you will look in vain to find even ONE Apostolic Church that does NOT embrace the Assumption of the Theotokos...

Arsenios

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Indeed you will look in vain to find even ONE Apostolic Church that does NOT embrace the Assumption of the Theotokos...

Arsenios

Its still just based on legend.

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
!!!NAILS!!!.

I SAY!!!

Arsenios. :)
... but we Baptists don’t have Cathedrals and it would be an unChristian act of vandalism to nail it to a Catholic Cathedral. :(

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
I prefer to agree with both the assumption and perpetual virginity of the mother of our Lord but under pious opinion and not dogmatically. Biblically I see both Enoch and Elijah being assumed into heaven so there is biblical precedence for it. And the Lord gives His mother over to His disciple during His crucifixion showing to me she had no other offspring to care for her.
When in doubt I side with historic church traditions.

A more than reasonable approach...

I mean, was the Holy Prophet Elijah even ABLE to do what She did do??

She is far greater than he was...

As John, who Baptized God in the Waters of the Jordan...
Was the greatest of all the OT Prophets...
Because he Baptized Him Whom he prophesied...

But She gave Him BIRTH...

Arsenios

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
... but we Baptists don’t have Cathedrals

Well ya got guns and RV's and boats and outboard motors and fishing tackle, don't ya??

And beer in the fridge and venison in the freezer, yes??

Not to mention catfish, right?

!!!PRIORITIES!!!

I SAY!!

We just have different priorities...

and it would be an unChristian act of vandalism to nail it to a Catholic Cathedral. :(

Not without precedent, I should think...

Even if you do not kiss the feet of Luther!

Arsenios

Last edited:

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

It is the received Doctrine
of the whole of all the Apostolic Churches
from the beginnings to this day and hour...

From a carnal perspective, you are right...

But not from the perspective
of the Body of Christ
for 2000 years...

You are going to have to deal with the Historical Church sooner or later...

She is the Ground and Pillar of the Truth...

You cannot simply continue blowing Her off...

I mean, the Latins no longer are selling Indulgences, OK??

Arsenios

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

You want Face Book pictures??

How about recorded interviews?

I mean, God does not regularly whisper it into your ear, ya know...

You could as easily say the Bible itself is only a legend written on paper...

So c'mon! Dont be so sluggish!

Arsenios

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It is the received Doctrine
of the whole of all the Apostolic Churches
from the beginnings to this day and hour...
Not mine.

From a carnal perspective, you are right...

But not from the perspective
of the Body of Christ
for 2000 years...

I am not denying that. I only point out that it is a doctrine that has neither Scripture NOR Holy Tradition to support it. If you want to believe it, go right ahead.

There are many false beliefs that have survived somewhere or other since the days of the early church, so that isn't much of an argument in favor of believing anything just so long as its old.

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Not mine.

Yes, yours, from the beginnings, even if fallen away from the Holy Tradition from which it came...

It is a doctrine that has neither Scripture NOR Holy Tradition to support it.

It is indeed a part of the Holy Tradition of ALL the Apostolic Churches...

There are many false beliefs that have survived somewhere or other since the days of the early church,
so that isn't much of an argument in favor of believing anything just so long as its old.

Age is not the issue, although relevant - It is a part of the teaching of the Church in the Services of Matins...

And it is thereby the RECEIVED Holy Tradition of the Ancient Faith...

Rome dogmatized the Doctrine because She felt She COULD, I would guess...

The teaching of the Theotokos is hesychia - Stillness, silence and prayer...

It is not thunderous dogmatic proclamations!

She is not without Biblical precedent...

But it is the Church that is the Ground and the Pillar of the Truth...

That's Biblical...

Blowing off the Received Holy Tradition of the Church is not Biblical, you see... :)

Arsenios

Top Bottom