Steak

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Soooo... How do you like yours? I'll go medium, but even that seems like an insult to the chef sometimes. I've never tried a mid-rare, but that just seems a bit too red for me.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Frankly, I'm not a big red-meat person. But when I order a steak, it's "medium."

But I'd look for some chicken, fish or salad things on the menu. For ME, beef just seems to sit down there.... heavy.... forever, lol. But my wife likes a good steak at times and when we were dating, I took her to Morton's Steak House and she ordered the filet, I had a bite and it was really good. I had a stuffed chicken breast, which was outstanding. We left happy and me almost $200 poorer (amazing what a pretty girl will cause a guy to do).

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I cook mine to medium. Using a cast iron skillet is the way to go at home because it sears the outside so nicely.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
medium rare

JRT

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
No
I cook mine to medium. Using a cast iron skillet is the way to go at home because it sears the outside so nicely.

I have never pan fried a good quality steak --- what is your technique --- how hot a pan etc?

JRT

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
No
duplicate post

Mozzie

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Medium well for me.

vince284

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Medium rare, I sous vide my thick steaks at about 126 F. for about an hour. I place them (still in the bag) in ice water to stop the cooking and to cool them down. But they can also sit in the fridge until I'm ready (works well if I have several guests for steaks). 80% of the time I use a screaming hot cast iron skillet, the other times I grill them over a roaring wood fire. When they are cool, it takes about a minute, no more than two, a side and edges, if I would try to get a crust on them right out of the sous vide tub, the inside would already be at 125 F and now the center would continue to heat up and over cook. By putting the steaks on the heat cold, the center warms up just right and the outside develops a beautiful crust. It's consistent have't ruined a beautiful steak in years, unless someone wants it well done.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Soooo... How do you like yours? I'll go medium, but even that seems like an insult to the chef sometimes. I've never tried a mid-rare, but that just seems a bit too red for me.

Pink is good. A little red is good. If it moos when I cut into it I send it back.

vince284

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Funny, I’m not per se… a steak eater, but when I do… it’s got to be good. Two to three times a year I’ll get that craving for a thick rib eye and rock lobster tail. Steak is prepared as I have written. Rock lobster is French-ed and broiled, I have more control when I broil. I top it with butter, paprika, salt and some cracked pepper and I broil until I see them turn white (don't forget the lemon) and I think they are cooked through and again I then top with more BUTTER after they are done. I don't know what the exact time would be, around 5-8 minutes. Ahead of time I roast some baby red potatoes at about 400 F. In a bowl I throw in quartered potatoes and toss them with olive oil, fresh rosemary, oregano, salt and pepper roast for 40 minutes. I make a slurry of finely chopped jalapeños, garlic and more olive oil (cilantro works well here too). I pull out the potatoes and toss it with the slurry and back in the hot oven for 10- 15 minutes. Of course… the salad, sliced tomato, red onion, avocado sliced salad to preclude (add any veggies you like), topped with a citrus vinaigrette. Capirotada (bread pudding) for dessert. Sorry, I live to eat… and cooking is my therapy. If you drink, a white tequila/iced with a fizzy orange/pineapple flavored water, a dark dry red with dinner (a cab or a Spanish Tempranillo). With the bread pudding, I love a coffee with Tia Maria (Grand Marnier will work, but not as good).

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Funny, I’m not per se… a steak eater, but when I do… it’s got to be good. Two to three times a year I’ll get that craving for a thick rib eye and rock lobster tail. Steak is prepared as I have written. Rock lobster is French-ed and broiled, I have more control when I broil. I top it with butter, paprika, salt and some cracked pepper and I broil until I see them turn white (don't forget the lemon) and I think they are cooked through and again I then top with more BUTTER after they are done. I don't know what the exact time would be, around 5-8 minutes. Ahead of time I roast some baby red potatoes at about 400 F. In a bowl I throw in quartered potatoes and toss them with olive oil, fresh rosemary, oregano, salt and pepper roast for 40 minutes. I make a slurry of finely chopped jalapeños, garlic and more olive oil (cilantro works well here too). I pull out the potatoes and toss it with the slurry and back in the hot oven for 10- 15 minutes. Of course… the salad, sliced tomato, red onion, avocado sliced salad to preclude (add any veggies you like), topped with a citrus vinaigrette. Capirotada (bread pudding) for dessert. Sorry, I live to eat… and cooking is my therapy. If you drink, a white tequila/iced with a fizzy orange/pineapple flavored water, a dark dry red with dinner (a cab or a Spanish Tempranillo). With the bread pudding, I love a coffee with Tia Maria (Grand Marnier will work, but not as good).

Can I come over?

Webster

Religious Affiliation
Methodist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Rare; anything further and you're essentially ruining it.

Ash

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
Single
No
I usually go for medium-rare or medium. But honestly, I don't mind anything as long as it hasn't just been taken out of the packaging and dumped on my plate. I remember completely messing up one of my steaks and it being quite rare but it was actually quite tasty.

Forgiven1

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Medium for me. Grilled is the way we cook them.

Top Bottom