Kaynil

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Hi, guys.

I am not sure if you have discussed this before and this is something that has been on my mind for a while.

Do you believe that prophetical dreams still occur? If you do, can they come from God or is it something to beware as a tool to muddle the truth (kind of like the idea that ghosts of loved ones that passed away are you evil spirits pretending in order to contradict God's teachings about what happens after we die).

The reason I ask is because I've seen a dream like that from my mum. She didn't realized herself that things, in my opinion, had transpired almost like in one of the dreams she told me about a few months ago, before even knowing that she would have to accept to take a trip to where things happened.

When I was around 5 years old I once woke up crying because I dreamt I had been forced to go to a different city to live with Grandma. My parents couldn't say that it was just a dream, that's exactly what they had decided. We had a very sick relative and my parents were concerned about the impact it was having on me at the time. That's the closest to prophetical and I still distrust it as that maybe they discussed that while I was asleep and my subconscious picked it up, even if I didn't.

I know as humans we tend to see patterns even if there are none, which makes vague prophecies like Nostradamus ones work easily. I also know that as Christians we need to tread carefully. So I thought it would be nice to hear your opinions in the matter.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Hi, guys.

I am not sure if you have discussed this before and this is something that has been on my mind for a while.

Do you believe that prophetical dreams still occur? If you do, can they come from God or is it something to beware as a tool to muddle the truth (kind of like the idea that ghosts of loved ones that passed away are you evil spirits pretending in order to contradict God's teachings about what happens after we die).

The reason I ask is because I've seen a dream like that from my mum. She didn't realized herself that things, in my opinion, had transpired almost like in one of the dreams she told me about a few months ago, before even knowing that she would have to accept to take a trip to where things happened.

When I was around 5 years old I once woke up crying because I dreamt I had been forced to go to a different city to live with Grandma. My parents couldn't say that it was just a dream, that's exactly what they had decided. We had a very sick relative and my parents were concerned about the impact it was having on me at the time. That's the closest to prophetical and I still distrust it as that maybe they discussed that while I was asleep and my subconscious picked it up, even if I didn't.

I know as humans we tend to see patterns even if there are none, which makes vague prophecies like Nostradamus ones work easily. I also know that as Christians we need to tread carefully. So I thought it would be nice to hear your opinions in the matter.
My niece used to be very shy around me because I was never around and he goes back and forth to her dads and her moms, she never said anything to me, anyway one night I had a dream where she says "I like you", I thought whatever it's just a dream... well the next time she visited (she was maybe 4 or five) I was outside cooking or something but she opened the front door and leaned out and said "I like you" and closed the door lol it was the first time she spoke to me :)
That's really all I got, I had dreams however where something very tragic happened and I cried to God begging to take it all back and make it normal again, sure enough I woke up and my prayer was technically answered lol
Praying in dreams is something I do a lot... I had another dream where God was showing me bellies from many starving kids of all diversity and he said this is the state of men, Adam wanted to be a god and this is the result of the downfall... I got a sense that God is looking out for them and dealing with each one spiritually.. That was a nice dream but I can't say for sure it was a message from God but most likely inspired by God.
I had a dream too where I was flying up a waterfall that came from the clouds and I had a sense of Joy that was surreal, whatever it meant it was spiritual..
Also I have a lot of ugly dreams where I usually end up praying, I seem to pray more in dreams then in real life, maybe it's telling me something

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I don't see any reason why God can't send dreams that tell us something we need to know. We just need to be careful because a dream could be a message from God but could equally be the result of eating too much cheese or something.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Hi, guys.

I do not know if my answer will help or not but here it is. I often fall asleep with the radio on at a low volume and as a result some of my dreams are influenced by what my ears hear when I am asleep or half asleep. As a result my dreams can be about leading news items or about some subject that was being discussed on the radio while I was asleep. The dreams can be very vivid and, thanks be to God, rather pleasant for me. But some dreams also arise from past experiences, fears, desires, and maybe even from supernatural sources though I do not think that happens very often if it happens at all.

I think that bad dreams can leave a very powerful and lasting impact on a person. I've had dreams where a person I know - either a friend or a relative - behaves badly towards me in the dream and when I wake it is hard not to continue feeling the upset and resentment that such dreams can cause. It takes a conscious effort to throw off the influence of such dreams. But I do not think that such dreams are caused by demons or that supernatural influences are behind them. I think that they are part of normal human life and the normal workings of the human brain. I've noticed dogs and cats having dreams too and I doubt that anyone thinks that dogs and cats are visited by dog or cat demons that give them bad dreams.

But regarding dreams that seem prophetic I cannot say one way or the other what causes them. I often have dreams that seem to match events that occur some time after the dream but that is likely coincidence more than prophecy I think. I believe it is better to discuss your dreams with others and thus - in a sense - exorcise them rather than worry about them as develop a fearful attitude towards sleep and dreams because you think they may be caused by demons.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I do not know if my answer will help or not but here it is. I often fall asleep with the radio on at a low volume and as a result some of my dreams are influenced by what my ears hear when I am asleep or half asleep. As a result my dreams can be about leading news items or about some subject that was being discussed on the radio while I was asleep. The dreams can be very vivid and, thanks be to God, rather pleasant for me. But some dreams also arise from past experiences, fears, desires, and maybe even from supernatural sources though I do not think that happens very often if it happens at all.

I think that bad dreams can leave a very powerful and lasting impact on a person. I've had dreams where a person I know - either a friend or a relative - behaves badly towards me in the dream and when I wake it is hard not to continue feeling the upset and resentment that such dreams can cause. It takes a conscious effort to throw off the influence of such dreams. But I do not think that such dreams are caused by demons or that supernatural influences are behind them. I think that they are part of normal human life and the normal workings of the human brain. I've noticed dogs and cats having dreams too and I doubt that anyone thinks that dogs and cats are visited by dog or cat demons that give them bad dreams.

But regarding dreams that seem prophetic I cannot say one way or the other what causes them. I often have dreams that seem to match events that occur some time after the dream but that is likely coincidence more than prophecy I think. I believe it is better to discuss your dreams with others and thus - in a sense - exorcise them rather than worry about them as develop a fearful attitude towards sleep and dreams because you think they may be caused by demons.
I do believe though that someone who reads the bible only, has no tv, no radio, goes to church and possible preachers there, and being Holy in just about every way, praying and laying hands on others for spiritual and physical healings, I would think that there dreams may include forms of Revelation, that perhaps motivates them in the morning to reflect on the dream and pray for wisdom to interpret it rightfully and it may possible guide them to the next topic on a sermon.
If all of ypur influences is strictly on Holy Living and obedience and communion with God I believe dreams can reveal much, there are plenty of dreams recording in the Bible. Joseph had a gift to interpret and so did Daniel.
I admit that I am not the Holiest of men, I struggle to pray daily for one, I get too caught up in politics (some biblical characters were as well), I guess what I am saying is that Pastures have shared some of their dreams with me that they call Revelation and it influences their sermons.
Dreams seem to organize thoughts and sometimes you wake up with a surprise understanding when recalling a dream.
I dont know lol just my thought

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Editorial note: I did make a few small changes to Andrew's post. Typo corrections and corrections that reflect what I think a word was intended to be rather than the word that was typed. Mostly it was "possible" replaced by "possibly" and "preachers" with "preaches"

I do believe though that someone who reads the bible only, has no tv, no radio, goes to church and possibly preaches there, and being Holy in just about every way, praying and laying hands on others for spiritual and physical healings, I would think that there dreams may include forms of Revelation, that perhaps motivates them in the morning to reflect on the dream and pray for wisdom to interpret it rightfully and it may possibly guide them to the next topic on a sermon.
If all of your influences are strictly from Holy Living and obedience and communion with God I believe dreams can reveal much, there are plenty of dreams recording in the Bible. Joseph had a gift to interpret and so did Daniel.
I admit that I am not the Holiest of men, I struggle to pray daily for one, I get too caught up in politics (some biblical characters were as well), I guess what I am saying is that Pastors have shared some of their dreams with me that they call Revelation and it influences their sermons.
Dreams seem to organize thoughts and sometimes you wake up with a surprise understanding when recalling a dream.
I don't know lol just my thought

To be as holy and isolated as your ideal person is would mean that they'd need to live as a monk in a community that eschewed television and radio and spent its time in daily chores and prayer only. Such places exist and such persons may exist too and perhaps their dreams and visions are revelations from God, the angels, and saints. That is possible.

And it is true that sometimes a difficult problem is solved in a dream that is remembered when awake. But that is rare in many people's lives and the problems that are solved are usually rather earthly and physical instead of heavenly and spiritual.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I do believe though that someone who reads the bible only, has no tv, no radio, goes to church and possible preachers there, and being Holy in just about every way, praying and laying hands on others for spiritual and physical healings, I would think that there dreams may include forms of Revelation, that perhaps motivates them in the morning to reflect on the dream and pray for wisdom to interpret it rightfully and it may possible guide them to the next topic on a sermon.
If all of ypur influences is strictly on Holy Living and obedience and communion with God I believe dreams can reveal much, there are plenty of dreams recording in the Bible. Joseph had a gift to interpret and so did Daniel.
I admit that I am not the Holiest of men, I struggle to pray daily for one, I get too caught up in politics (some biblical characters were as well), I guess what I am saying is that Pastures have shared some of their dreams with me that they call Revelation and it influences their sermons.
I dont know lol just my thought

I don't think it's necessary to turn away from absolutely everything in order to receive a revelation from God. If God wants to speak to us then God will speak to us, and the question is whether or not we are listening rather than whether God is speaking. Of course if we think God is speaking we should test the "word" to make sure it is in keeping with God's nature and character, consistent with things God has previously said etc. Sometimes this is easy, sometimes less so. To take a silly example, if I "hear God" telling me to leave my wife and run away with my secretary it doesn't take much knowledge of Scripture to know that this probably isn't actually God speaking at all. On the other hand if I have a dream about being a missionary in Bangalore it could be God leading me to a specific calling, or it could be because I heard someone talking about Bangalore. There's nothing in Scripture that contradicts the possibility of being sent to Bangalore as a missionary but also nothing that specifically confirms it. Jesus said to "go into the world" but that doesn't necessarily mean that I personally am called to go to that particular place. In a situation like that I'd look for other things to confirm the message before booking flights.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I believe it is possible still today. I have had dreams where I felt like God was speaking to me about different things. I think if it causes confusion or fear then it probably is not from God, but if it brings clarity or peace then it would be. God is not the author of confusion 1 Corinthians 14:33 NASV

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I have had premonitions happen in my dreams...I don't call them prophetic because they aren't proclaiming the Savior or His Gospel. I try not to tell too many people about some of my dreams because they freak out about it. I'm used to it.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I believe it is possible still today. I have had dreams where I felt like God was speaking to me about different things. I think if it causes confusion or fear then it probably is not from God, but if it brings clarity or peace then it would be. God is not the author of confusion 1 Corinthians 14:33 NASV

I'd say that if it causes confusion you're probably right that it's unlikely to be from God. If it causes fear then I'd say the context is important. Fear for the sake of fear doesn't seem like the sort of thing God would send but fear of the consequences of something could conceivably be a warning from above.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Pretty well all dreams are confused to some degree and if taken too seriously will very likely lead to questions and may lead to confusion too.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Pretty well all dreams are confused to some degree and if taken too seriously will very likely lead to questions and may lead to confusion too.

True, I suspect even when they do contain something useful they are best treated as guidance rather than instruction.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
In recent days, mainly since 21st March 2019 there was a lot of change in my parish. A priest died, a replacement priest came out of retirement to manage the parish for a few months while the archbishop selects a suitable replacement senior pastor for the parish and in the meantime some people who are enthusiastic adherent of the priest that died have started distributing fragments of some of his vestments as a kind of "relic" or at least a keepsake for those who are enthusiastic about his life and miss him very much now that he is dead. So how does this relate to prophetical dreams, well it does in this way. A recent dream was reported by one parishioner suggesting the the dead priest was murdered and that he ought to be regarded as a martyr for the faith. That is absurd, he was not murdered and consequently is not a martyr. But it shows how people can dream things that are not true but that they feel strongly are true.

Top Bottom