THE ELECT

Doug

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah 42:1 Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.

1 Peter 2:6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.

From the verses above it can be seen that Jesus Christ is the elect.

Isaiah 45:4 For Jacob my servant's sake, and Israel mine elect, I have even called thee by thy name: I have surnamed thee, though thou hast not known me.

Isaiah 65:22 They shall not build, and another inhabit; they shall not plant, and another eat: for as the days of a tree are the days of my people, and mine elect shall long enjoy the work of their hands.

Israel also is called the elect of God. Elect also means chosen. God chose Israel. Through Israel would come salvation to the ends of the world.

Mark 13:19 For in those days shall be affliction, such as was not from the beginning of the creation which God created unto this time, neither shall be.

13:20 And except that the Lord had shortened those days, no flesh should be saved: but for the elect's sake, whom he hath chosen, he hath shortened the days.

God will shorten the tribulation for the elect's sake, Israel. The body of Christ is also called the elect but could not be in view in Mark 13:20 because it had not yet been revealed to Paul.

2 Timothy 2:10 Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.

I understand that in 2 Timothy Paul is speaking of the Jews. Paul endures all things that the Jews may also be saved. Paul's desire was to see his brethren, Israel, saved.

Colossians 3:12 Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;

The body of Christ is called elect because we have been chosen in Christ by God's election of grace, through faith.

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God chooses those who love Him by their obeying Him.

That is who God loves back and saves.

Hebrews 4:1 [ A Sabbath-Rest for the People of God ] Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it.

Hebrews 4:2 For we also have had the good news proclaimed to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was of no value to them, because they did not share the faith of those who obeyed.

Here Jesus promises us IF YOU are obedient:

John 8:31[ Dispute Over Whose Children Jesus’ Opponents Are ]
Then Jesus said to those Judeans who had believed him, "If you continue to follow my teaching, you are really my disciples

God rewards those who obey Him:
Ex 19:5; Jn 15:10, Dt 5:29; 1Ki 3:14; 2Ki 18:5-7; Mt 7:21,24-25,Lk 6:47-48; Mt 12:50, Mk 3:35, Lk 8:21; Jn 12:26; Jn 14:21,23; Jn 21:4-6; 1Jn 2:17

John 5:21 For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, even so the Son gives life to whom he is pleased to give it.

All who God saves are elected, or chosen, for salvation. They are elected /chosen when God saved them and gave them His Holy Spirit. God did not elect us in the predestined way the Calvinists teach, but God elects us when we believe, obey, confess, repent of sins, and call on the name of the Lord to save us.

Not all Bible translations even use the word elect.

Read this scripture that says ‘elect’ and ‘chosen.’ Mark 13:20 “If the Lord had not cut short those days, no one would survive. But for the sake of the elect, whom he has chosen, he has shortened them.

Notice Revelations 17:14 even uses ‘called,’ and ‘chosen.’

Revelation 17:14 They will wage war against the Lamb, but the Lamb will triumph over them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings—and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers.”

1 Thessalonians 1:4 For we know, brothers and sisters loved by God, that he has chosen you,

James 2:5 Listen, my dear brothers and sisters: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him?

Matthew 24:24 For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.

Matthew 22:14 “For many are invited, but few are chosen.”

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
The elect are the candidates for baptism who are received by the diocesan bishop a few days before their baptism at the Easter Vigil mass.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

1. You don't seem to know the difference between election and foreknowledge.

2. There goes Christianity. No need for any God, any Savior, any Cross, any forgiveness, any mercy, any grace, any Gospel in this religion you promote.

3. St. Paul stated he was the "chief of sinners." A sinner is, by definition, one with sin and thus one who misses the mark, one who is not obedient. The Bible states that no one is righteous (obendient). So, since you disagree with Scripture, could you please list for us the names of just 3 non-Christians alive today who love the Christian God and obey Him, they never miss the mark in thought or word or deed, in what they do or leave undone, they ALWAYS love everyone exactly as Jesus does, they follow Jesus as their Lord even though they reject Him as their Lord, they are morally perfect as God is, they are holy as God is, they are making disciples of all people by teaching them and baptizing them even though they reject Jesus and don't believe in Him themselves. Just 3 names.

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

2. There goes Christianity. No need for any God, any Savior, any Cross, any forgiveness, any mercy, any grace, any Gospel in this religion you promote.

3. St. Paul stated he was the "chief of sinners." A sinner is, by definition, one with sin and thus one who misses the mark, one who is not obedient. The Bible states that no one is righteous (obendient). So, since you disagree with Scripture, could you please list for us the names of just 3 non-Christians alive today who love the Christian God and obey Him, they never miss the mark in thought or word or deed, in what they do or leave undone, they ALWAYS love everyone exactly as Jesus does, they follow Jesus as their Lord even though they reject Him as their Lord, they are morally perfect as God is, they are holy as God is, they are making disciples of all people by teaching them and baptizing them even though they reject Jesus and don't believe in Him themselves. Just 3 names.

I thank God that at least you are not cynical!

Perfect is the enemy of good...

A.

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What?! Jesus says repent or perish, and humble yourself as a child or you will never enter, but you call that NO GRACE!!!

Huh? You want me to name 3 non Christians who obey Jesus?

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Josiah said:
YourTruthGod said:

Yeah. You say before God can give faith, life and the Holy Spirit to anyone, they FIRST must "love" AND "obey" him. THEN God is released from impotence and is now able to save them, but only if they first love and obey him. Okay. There are currently 5.5 billion non-Christians in the world, people whom God has not saved. Surely you can name just 3 that obey God and thus COULD be saved by God because they are obedient.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
"The elect" and "enlightened" are new testament words about the people who are baptised and about baptism.

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah. You say before God can give faith, life and the Holy Spirit to anyone, they FIRST must "love" AND "obey" him. THEN God is released from impotence and is now able to save them, but only if they first love and obey him. Okay. There are currently 5.5 billion non-Christians in the world, people whom God has not saved. Surely you can name just 3 that obey God and thus COULD be saved by God because they are obedient.

I believed in God since a very small child, but I was not saved until much later as an adult, after I believed, repented of my sins, and called on him to help me.

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Andrew,

I 'm glad you liked it when I said, "I believed in God since a very small child, but I was not saved until much later as an adult, after I believed, repented of my sins, and called on him to help me."

However, God didn't cause me, supernaturally, to repent of sins later. If He waited that long to save me, then who is responsible for the sins I did while I believed in Him and wasn't saved.

THINK ABOUT YOUR BELIEFS.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
YourTruthGod said:
Josiah said:
YourTruthGod said:

Yeah. You say before God can give faith, life and the Holy Spirit to anyone, even before God chooses to do or give any non-Christian anything, they FIRST must "love" AND "obey" Him. THEN (and only then) God is released from impotence and is now able to save them, but only if they first love and obey him. Okay. There are currently 5.5 billion non-Christians in the world, people whom God has not saved. Surely you can name just 3 that obey God and thus COULD be saved by God because they are obedient. I'm only asking for 3 out of 5.5 billion. Easy. If what you claim is true.

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah. You say before God can give faith, life and the Holy Spirit to anyone, even before God chooses to do or give any non-Christian anything, they FIRST must "love" AND "obey" Him. THEN (and only then) God is released from impotence and is now able to save them, but only if they first love and obey him. Okay. There are currently 5.5 billion non-Christians in the world, people whom God has not saved. Surely you can name just 3 that obey God and thus COULD be saved by God because they are obedient. I'm only asking for 3 out of 5.5 billion. Easy. If what you claim is true.

You put it in a perverted way which I don't say.
God says He saves those who love Him by obeying Him.

I have no idea what you are talking about whe you want me to name 3 that obey God and could be saved because they are our obedient.

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Proverbs 8:17 I love those who love me, and those who seek me find me.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Josiah said:

Yeah. You say before God can give faith, life and the Holy Spirit to anyone, even before God chooses to do or give any non-Christian anything, they FIRST must "love" AND "obey" Him. THEN (and only then) God is released from impotence and is now able to save them, but only if they first love and obey him. Okay. There are currently 5.5 billion non-Christians in the world, people whom God has not saved. Surely you can name just 3 that obey God and thus COULD be saved by God because they are obedient. I'm only asking for 3 out of 5.5 billion. Easy. If what you claim is true.You put it in a perverted way which I don't say.

God says He saves those who love Him by obeying Him.

Has God stopped saving people? Or are there people whom God is able to save?

You claim God is able to save some, but only if the love and obey him. Okay. There are 5.5 billion non-Christians (unsaved) people on the planet right now. Unless you claim that God is impotent to save ANY of them because NONE OF THESE obeys and loves Him, then there must be SOME anyway who God is able to save because these non-Christians, these atheists and deniers of Christ as Savior, love and obey Him. Out of 5.5 billion non-Christians, SURELY you must know at least 3 that currently are obeying God's will and loving God. Would you please list them? Should be very easy. Just 3 out of 5.5 BILLION.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Election is not an exclusively heavenly transaction it is most definitely an earthly transaction involving preparation for baptism and reception into the body of Christ which is the Church.

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
That is so funny...lol...what did, and what you said.

The three stooges were masters of physical humor...

There is also verbal humor...

But ontological humor is the better of them...

Combinations of the two are funniest...

But I fear they are availing but little fruit here...

Arsenios

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Has God stopped saving people? Or are there people whom God is able to save?

You claim God is able to save some, but only if the love and obey him. Okay. There are 5.5 billion non-Christians (unsaved) people on the planet right now. Unless you claim that God is impotent to save ANY of them because NONE OF THESE obeys and loves Him, then there must be SOME anyway who God is able to save because these non-Christians, these atheists and deniers of Christ as Savior, love and obey Him. Out of 5.5 billion non-Christians, SURELY you must know at least 3 that currently are obeying God's will and loving God. Would you please list them? Should be very easy. Just 3 out of 5.5 BILLION.

The Salvation of those not knowing Christ is in the Age to Come...

Following the dread and last Judgement...

Where we will be judged by our works and deeds...

Where Christ will judge the dead [those not Baptized into Christ]...

And He will judge the [Baptized] living...

The Salvation of Christians is here and now...

REPENT, For the Kingdom of the Heavens is at hand!!

Africa and China rejected the Apostolic ministry...

But you can find God's Holy People anywhere...

In any country, culture or religion...

They have the disconcerting habit of showing up unexpectedly...

I ran into one unexpectedly over 50 years ago as an atheist in Muslim Malaysia...

He only said one word to me from behind that rocked my whole world...

I never saw him or that word coming...

Glory to God!

Arsenios

Last edited:

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The three stooges were masters of physical humor...

There is also verbal humor...

But ontological humor is the better of them...

Combinations of the two are funniest...

But I fear they are availing but little fruit here...

Arsenios

Sometimes it is fruitful to let another person know you understand them.

Jesus wants us to be likeminded.

Josiah joked about it himself.

RELAX.

Top Bottom