Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
That is not in the scriptures. Give the scripture that says faith comes first, and I will give you the scripture where Jesus says you can get faith if you do what he says.
If you read the context of the scripture Josiah provided you will see how Faith comes first and works in us

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you read the context of the scripture Josiah provided you will see how Faith comes first and works in us

So you are just going to ignore the scripture I gave and just give some personal opinion post? The scripture he gave doesn't say what you two say.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
So, someone thinks that these words prove that faith comes first and then comes something else "But without faith it is impossible to please God. For he that cometh to God must believe that he is: and is a rewarder to them that seek him. "?

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, someone thinks that these words prove that faith comes first and then comes something else "But without faith it is impossible to please God. For he that cometh to God must believe that he is: and is a rewarder to them that seek him. "?

If someone wants faith, they can get Jesus teachings and obey them, then they will have faith, and salvation.
If someone has faith and they want to be a child of God, they can get Jesus' teachings and obey them, then they will be saved.

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
On the contrary. I believe that you haven't got a clue what I believe if your statement represents what you think I believe.

I see only two possible sources for the difference between the saved and the damned.

1. The faith of the person
2. The gift of God.

I think that you believe the difference between the saved and the damned is the faith of the person (one man chose to believe and one man chose to not believe) so the fault for their damnation is in their lack of faith.

I believe that the difference between the saved and the damned is the gift of God (one received faith and was drawn to Christ per John 6:44, and one was not) so the credit for their salvation belongs to God.

Perhaps you could explain where I have gotten your beliefs wrong, if I have indeed gotten them wrong.

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can someone tell me where in the Bible they get that we can't believe and obey God?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I see only two possible sources for the difference between the saved and the damned.

1. The faith of the person
2. The gift of God.
You need glasses :p

I think that you believe the difference between the saved and the damned is the faith of the person (one man chose to believe and one man chose to not believe) so the fault for their damnation is in their lack of faith.

I believe that the difference between the saved and the damned is the gift of God (one received faith and was drawn to Christ per John 6:44, and one was not) so the credit for their salvation belongs to God.

Perhaps you could explain where I have gotten your beliefs wrong, if I have indeed gotten them wrong.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
What do you think that you have proven with that scripture?

I don't think I'VE PROVEN anything (I don't have the ego for that). I think God stated the reality in Hebrews 11:6. Without faith it is impossible to please God. WHATEVER we do before faith is... well.... not pleasing to Him. Whatever we do has worth, value, to God ONLY if there is faith in place, that it flows from faith. DEAD, faithless, lifeless, unregenerate people can do LOTS of things - but it's not pleasing to GOD.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Can someone tell me where in the Bible they get that we can't believe and obey God?

If the "we" means UNBELIEVERS (and that is the issue here, how DEAD, faithless, atheistic, enemies of God who hate God are CHANGED and GIVEN life, faith, the Holy Spirit - Justification) then there are many verses that say that the DEAD hater of God cannot even say the WORDS "Jesus is Lord" with meaning (First Corinthians 12:3) and that faith is the free gift of God ... lest anyone has reason to boast of themselves (Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 6:23, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc.)

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think I'VE PROVEN anything (I don't have the ego for that). I think God stated the reality in Hebrews 11:6. Without faith it is impossible to please God. WHATEVER we do before faith is... well.... not pleasing to Him. Whatever we do has worth, value, to God ONLY if there is faith in place, that it flows from faith. DEAD, faithless, lifeless, unregenerate people can do LOTS of things - but it's not pleasing to GOD.

No one is saved without faith and obedience to God.

There is NO scripture anywhere that says we can't have faith and obey.

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If the "we" means UNBELIEVERS (and that is the issue here, how DEAD, faithless, atheistic, enemies of God who hate God are CHANGED and GIVEN life, faith, the Holy Spirit - Justification) then there are many verses that say that the DEAD hater of God cannot even say the WORDS "Jesus is Lord" with meaning (First Corinthians 12:3) and that faith is the free gift of God ... lest anyone has reason to boast of themselves (Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 6:23, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc.)

I asked where in the Bible anyone gets that we can't believe and obey God.

You did not prove from scripture that we can't believe and obey God before we are regenerated.

We don't get regenerated until after we believe and repent of our sins.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Josiah said:
f the "we" means UNBELIEVERS (and that is the issue here, how DEAD, faithless, atheistic, enemies of God who hate God are CHANGED and GIVEN life, faith, the Holy Spirit - Justification) then there are many verses that say that the DEAD hater of God cannot even say the WORDS "Jesus is Lord" with meaning (First Corinthians 12:3) and that faith is the free gift of God ... lest anyone has reason to boast of themselves (Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 6:23, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc.)

You did not prove from scripture that we can't believe and obey God before we are regenerated.

If the dead atheist, thus without the Holy Spirit and faith, cannot even chant the words "Jesus is Lord" (meaning it) .... then how can that Dead one create faith and believe?

If faith is "the free gift of God" as Scripture so often states, how is it not so but rather the gift of the dead tp self? Since faith is the "free gift from God lest anyone boast of themselves" then how is it something that self gives to self and thus self can pat self on the back for obeying?

The Bible indicates that the dead people without faith CANNOT create faith and life, CANNOT do anything pleasing to God. Where is the verse that states, "The Dead atheist must give himself spiritual life and faith - before God will do anything; what the Dead atheist does is what pleases God and is the reason he is saved."

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
You need glasses :p

You claim I don't understand what you believe.

I ignore your insulting tone and respond with an honest attempt to clarify both what I believe, what I think you believe and I invite you to correct any misunderstanding that I have about your belief.

You respond with nothing but more insults.

Is that because I asked a question not covered in the Catechism, so you can’t cut and paste an answer without actually thinking ... or is it because you are an ass?

Either way, this is a Matthew 10:14 moment and I will waste no more effort attempting to communicate WITH you, I will now just correct your errors for those that might be led astray by your misinformation.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If the dead atheist, thus without the Holy Spirit and faith, cannot even chant the words "Jesus is Lord" (meaning it)
That is not even what that scripture meant.
That scripture is about people worrying if a tongue speaker is cursing Jesus because they don't have any idea what they are saying. Paul is explaining that when one is speaking in the spirit nothing bad will be spoken.

.... then how can that Dead one create faith and believe?
Do exactly what Jesus says. His words are life.

You can't get that life by just hearing about it; you have to do what He says.

If faith is "the free gift of God" as Scripture so often states, how is it not so but rather the gift of the dead tp self? Since faith is the "free gift from God lest anyone boast of themselves" then how is it something that self gives to self and thus self can pat self on the back for obeying?
The Jews USED TO HAVE TO WORK HARD AT CLEANING THEMSELVES. They had to bring offerings of food and animals. Jesus cleans us now. We don't have to do those things anymore. We still have to obey God though!

The Bible indicates that the dead people without faith CANNOT create faith and life, CANNOT do anything pleasing to God. Where is the verse that states, "The Dead atheist must give himself spiritual life and faith - before God will do anything; what the Dead atheist does is what pleases God and is the reason he is saved."

God says to believe and repent. His words are life.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
The Word is life. If the Word does not speak life into a person who is dead in their trespasses and sins, that person cannot have eternal life. Why? Because the Word never spoke life into their heart.
So, a dead person cannot receive eternal life unless the Word speaks life into them.
Many people feel remorse. They may try to make amends and apologize profusely. They do so in an attempt to get over their remorse. Judas did such a thing. But, the remorseful person remains with no comfort. Their sin is still not been paid. No justice has been meted out.
Justice is paid by Jesus becoming the curse for the sheep. God, the Word, by His grace, speaks and gives life to the dead. Upon being given life, the formerly dead fall on their knees in repentance and say, "Yes Lord." We see it on road to Damascus. We see it in every person whom God has made alive with Christ.
All glory, praise and honor to thee Redeemer King.

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I asked where in the Bible anyone gets that we can't believe and obey God.

[Jhn 1:10-13 NASB] 10 He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him. 11 He came to His own, and those who were His own did not receive Him. 12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, [even] to those who believe in His name, 13 who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.

[Jhn 6:43-44 NASB] 43 Jesus answered and said to them, "Do not grumble among yourselves. 44 "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day.

[Jhn 10:25-26 NASB] 25 Jesus answered them, "I told you, and you do not believe; the works that I do in My Father's name, these testify of Me. 26 "But you do not believe because you are not of My sheep.

[1Co 2:14 NASB] 14 But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.

[2Co 4:3-4 NASB] 3 And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, 4 in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

It also says that people DO NOT BELIEVE OR OBEY GOD ...

[Jhn 3:19-20 NASB] 19 "This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil. 20 "For everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come to the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed.

[Rom 3:10-12 NASB] 10 as it is written, "THERE IS NONE RIGHTEOUS, NOT EVEN ONE; 11 THERE IS NONE WHO UNDERSTANDS, THERE IS NONE WHO SEEKS FOR GOD; 12 ALL HAVE TURNED ASIDE, TOGETHER THEY HAVE BECOME USELESS; THERE IS NONE WHO DOES GOOD, THERE IS NOT EVEN ONE."

It even tells us why ...

[1Co 2:1-5 NASB] 1 And when I came to you, brethren, I did not come with superiority of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testimony of God. 2 For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified. 3 I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling, 4 and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5 so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God.

Words of wisdom are for the ‘mature’ ... after salvation, not before salvation.

[1Co 2:6 NASB] 6 Yet we do speak wisdom among those who are mature; a wisdom, however, not of this age nor of the rulers of this age, who are passing away;

[1Co 2:10-13 NASB] 10 For to us God revealed [them] through the Spirit; for the Spirit searches all things, even the depths of God. 11 For who among men knows the [thoughts] of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the [thoughts] of God no one knows except the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God, 13 which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual [thoughts] with spiritual [words.]

Understanding requires the Spirit of God, and no amount of obedience or reading will grant that, only God can grant his Spirit. So the order of salvation, must place the work of God before the faith of man since natural man cannot understand the gospel (good news) without help from God, and a man cannot have faith in something that he is either completely blind to, or views as nonsense.

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[Jhn 1:10-13 NASB] 10 He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him. 11 He came to His own, and those who were His own did not receive Him. 12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, [even] to those who believe in His name, 13 who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.

That scripture does not say we cannot obey and believe God on our own.

[Jhn 6:43-44 NASB] 43 Jesus answered and said to them, "Do not grumble among yourselves. 44 "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day.

God draws everyone.
[Jhn 10:25-26 NASB] 25 Jesus answered them, "I told you, and you do not believe; the works that I do in My Father's name, these testify of Me. 26 "But you do not believe because you are not of My sheep.
Jesus came first for the Jews who already belonged to God by faith. Only those Jews could come to Jesus to be saved.
When Jesus was crucified then all could come to him to be saved. He came only for the lost sheep of Israel.

[1Co 2:14 NASB] 14 But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.
That is about a man who is only interested in pleasing his flesh.
[2Co 4:3-4 NASB] 3 And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, 4 in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

They could have sight if they come to Jesus. They prefer their sin.
It also says that people DO NOT BELIEVE OR OBEY GOD ...

Those are the people blinded by sin.

[Jhn 3:19-20 NASB] 19 "This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil. 20 "For everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come to the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed.

Read the rest of the passage. You will see that there are those who do right and come to the light.

[Rom 3:10-12 NASB] 10 as it is written, "THERE IS NONE RIGHTEOUS, NOT EVEN ONE; 11 THERE IS NONE WHO UNDERSTANDS, THERE IS NONE WHO SEEKS FOR GOD; 12 ALL HAVE TURNED ASIDE, TOGETHER THEY HAVE BECOME USELESS; THERE IS NONE WHO DOES GOOD, THERE IS NOT EVEN ONE."
Paul is quoting the old testament. Paul is explaining to the Gentiles that the Jews were sinful too.
You were taught wrong about every scripture.
It even tells us why ...

[1Co 2:1-5 NASB] 1 And when I came to you, brethren, I did not come with superiority of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testimony of God. 2 For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified. 3 I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling, 4 and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5 so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God.

Words of wisdom are for the ‘mature’ ... after salvation, not before salvation.

No one gets wisdom until after they obey.

Psalm 119:100 I have more understanding than the elders, for I obey your precepts.
[1Co 2:6 NASB] 6 Yet we do speak wisdom among those who are mature; a wisdom, however, not of this age nor of the rulers of this age, who are passing away;

[1Co 2:10-13 NASB] 10 For to us God revealed [them] through the Spirit; for the Spirit searches all things, even the depths of God. 11 For who among men knows the [thoughts] of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the [thoughts] of God no one knows except the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God, 13 which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual [thoughts] with spiritual [words.]

Understanding requires the Spirit of God, and no amount of obedience or reading will grant that, only God can grant his Spirit. So the order of salvation, must place the work of God before the faith of man since natural man cannot understand the gospel (good news) without help from God, and a man cannot have faith in something that he is either completely blind to, or views as nonsense.

No one gets understanding until after they obey.

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.

2 Timothy 2:25 correcting opponents with gentleness. Perhaps God will grant them repentance and then knowledge of the truth.

John 14:21 The person who has my commandments and obeys them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and will reveal myself to him."

John 8:30 Even as he spoke, many believed in him. 31 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Top Bottom