Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
When using the search function of the forums, is it possible to have the results displayed as posts instead of threads? I can't figure out how to do it on this software.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
When using the search function of the forums, is it possible to have the results displayed as posts instead of threads? I can't figure out how to do it on this software.

Hmm. You're right that we're only getting the threads and not the post that is within that thread that has the keyword. I am not sure if there is any way to get it to come up the way you want. I usually just do a keyword search (ctrl F) and find the word in the thread.

It would be nice if the actual post came up.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

It can be done like this:

Click the "Posts" at the bottom of the page. It is in Advanced search.
Clipboard03.jpg

The search results will look like this:

Clipboard02.jpg

I can't see a way to make the images bigger once they are transferred to CH; they get shrunk ... alas.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It can be done like this:

Click the "Posts" at the bottom of the page. It is in Advanced search.
View attachment 1160

The search results will look like this:

View attachment 1161

I can't see a way to make the images bigger once they are transferred to CH; they get shrunk ... alas.

Thank you, MC!! I neglected to go all the way to the bottom of the search page on Advanced and was only relying on the checked Post box at the top. I know I had done it that way a long time ago but I don't search very often.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Thank you, MC!! I neglected to go all the way to the bottom of the search page on Advanced and was only relying on the checked Post box at the top. I know I had done it that way a long time ago but I don't search very often.

You're welcome and if I may make a suggestion ... it would be better and more useful if the default were set to "posts" instead of "threads"

Lucian Hodoboc

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Thank you. What got me confused was the fact that the Advanced Search page displays like this by default:

and one has to click on "Search Single Content Type" in order for it to display the extra-features:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
That's vbulletin for you! Everything has to be complicated. You should see what I have to do for permissions whenever we create a new usergroup! It's a mess. I guess that's another plus for Xenforo is that it's easier to do things.

Lucian Hodoboc

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
That's vbulletin for you! Everything has to be complicated. You should see what I have to do for permissions whenever we create a new usergroup! It's a mess. I guess that's another plus for Xenforo is that it's easier to do things.

XenForo is not the only other alternative though. There are also free forum scripts like phpBB and MyBB.

Among the forum scripts with a paid license, the cheapest seems to be Woltlab. It has almost all of XenForo's features at about half the price. And it is possible to convert communities that run on other scripts (including vBulletin) to Woltlab, without losing any members or content (threads, posts, avatars etc.). Maybe it's worth looking into it sometime in the future. :|

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I really like PhpBB because the look feels fun. I have only seen Woltlab once before maybe...I'm not sure?

Our problem is we have some modifications that were created just for our site by someone. We would lose those if we ever converted. I do understand that some of those are built into Xenforo and we could always pay someone to create mods if we went that route. But we aren't raking in the cash with member donations (Supporting Members) so here we stay for a while.

Top Bottom