Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange arrested after Ecuador withdraws asylum

"WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange was carried out of the Ecuadorian embassy in London in the arms of British police and arrested Thursday, a dramatic scene that ended Assange's nearly 7-year stay at the embassy and left the world watching to see if the anti-secrecy site would retaliate."

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Will be interesting to see how this plays out

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Will be interesting to see how this plays out

Indeed. Apparently some months back the US let slip that it had a sealed indictment against him, but part of the deal in handing him over to London police apparently included a written guarantee that he would not be extradited to a country where he might face the death penalty.

My guess is he'll end up in a Swedish prison.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I wonder why after so long this is happening now if they could have all along gone in and dragged him out like they apparently did

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
They revoked his protected status (the embassy) did. That allowed the police to enter and remove him

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I had some sympathy for him in the past but now I kind of think that he's made the mess he is in at least in part. I'd be a bit unhappy to see him imprisoned but I would not be bothered if he just became unimportant and not newsworthy.

vince284

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
I wonder why after so long this is happening now if they could have all along gone in and dragged him out like they apparently did

The way it should work, embassies are considered a part of the country they represent. Even though the hosting country is responsible for security around the facilities and diplomats, an attack or even stepping on the grounds is considered an attack or invasion of the country the embassy represents. I even heard the host country can’t even go on to the facilities and give aid or help without permission. Ecuador allowed the British police to step into the embassy and arrest Assange.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
They revoked his protected status (the embassy) did. That allowed the police to enter and remove him

Yes, he had been granted political asylum and technically the Ecuadorian embassy is considered Ecuadorial land so the British police can't just go in there at will. The Ecuadorian ambassador invited the police in this time, because apparently he had broken the conditions of his asylum on more than one occasion, so it was revoked. Because the police were invited in there was no issue with them being on Ecuadorian soil.

Top Bottom