... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Wondering if that baloney is turkey-based or just the same old stuff?

This is why I always assume "the gay lifestyle" is a function of their sexual preferences rather than how they live other aspects of their lives. You don't have to know very many gay people to see that there's a lot of diversity among gay people, just as there is among straight people. I'd go as far as to say that, sexual preferences aside, gay people are more or less the same as straight people.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
I cannot say where you are coming from, but the event or situation you chose to comment on to us here is not as represented. I think I am liable to puke the next time someone claims that here is a problem and both sides do it. The HuffPost article was merely a small twist on that theme.

The fact is that the Chick-fil-A controversy is not *both sides do it* or *its a general problem of our time* or anything like that.

As I said before, the truth is that the hater did his best to ruin another man--and his business--simply because he held different religious beliefs. And that campaign is ongoing, even if this one attacker has had something of a reconsideration about what he has done. How can that be overlooked??

Now he isn't quite as hateful as before but only because of the generosity of his victim. Are we supposed to think that suddenly "all's right with the world?" Well, this turn of events does not add up to such as that. The assault upon Christianity and freedom goes on, a rapprochement between two particular men not withstanding.

Your emotion is duly noted and I'll back away from this with you

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
This is why I always assume "the gay lifestyle" is a function of their sexual preferences rather than how they live other aspects of their lives. You don't have to know very many gay people to see that there's a lot of diversity among gay people, just as there is among straight people. I'd go as far as to say that, sexual preferences aside, gay people are more or less the same as straight people.
I won't comment on that issue in order to keep this reply as clear as possible...

That wasn't what I was referring to.

It was this:
The characterisation of a large group as having a life style that's allegedly 'bad' is just a way of being bigoted against them.

Baloney. There are no more judgmental people in society than 'Progressives.' To them, Everyone who isn't them is deserving of whatever can be done to hurt them. But when confronted about their own political actions, they often try to hide behind the claim that they would never do such a thing since they and they alone are moral and fairminded.

Last edited:

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Baloney. There are no more judgmental people in society than 'Progressives.' To them, Everyone who isn't them is deserving of whatever can be done to hurt them. But when confronted about their own political actions, they often try to hide behind the claim that they would never do such a thing since they and they alone are moral and fairminded.

I suspect this is an issue of context. Outside of the matter of sexual preference I don't think concepts like "the gay lifestyle" are relevant because gay people are just like straight people, except for their sexual preferences. Some are ambitious, others are not. Some are intelligent, others are not. Some are in-yer-face about their sexuality, others are not. They have hopes, fears, dreams, just like anyone else so to say "the gay lifestyle" in a context that means anything other than "choosing sexual partners of your own sex" is as meaningless as "the straight lifestyle" or "the white lifestyle" or "the female lifestyle".

Your comments on the progressive types are fair though, there are certainly those out there who are tolerant of anything as long as it agrees with their worldview, but the merest hint of a different opinion results in copious quantities of venom being spat by the so-called "tolerant" ones.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I suspect this is an issue of context. Outside of the matter of sexual preference I don't think concepts like "the gay lifestyle" are relevant because gay people are just like straight people, except for their sexual preferences. Some are ambitious, others are not. Some are intelligent, others are not. Some are in-yer-face about their sexuality, others are not. They have hopes, fears, dreams, just like anyone else so to say "the gay lifestyle" in a context that means anything other than "choosing sexual partners of your own sex" is as meaningless as "the straight lifestyle" or "the white lifestyle" or "the female lifestyle".
From my observation, the term, "the gay lifestyle" is just a way of saying "performing gay sex acts." It is not much different from a long list of other expressions that people use so that they can avoid being overly graphic. It does not itemize anything or pass judgment.

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
Honestly, I would consider anal sex disgusting - even with straights - so I can see the double standard gays might bring up.

Romanos

God is good.
Executive Administrator
Community Team
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Chick-Fil-A has such a strong customer fan base especially among the millennial group. Now of course there are some in that group that would say that the restaurant chain is wrong for their views, yet they still choose to eat there.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Chick-Fil-A has such a strong customer fan base especially among the millennial group. Now of course there are some in that group that would say that the restaurant chain is wrong for their views, yet they still choose to eat there.

My guess is that the food is not bigoted :)

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
From my observation, the term, "the gay lifestyle" is just a way of saying "performing gay sex acts."

Does that mean that a straight lifestyle is just a way of saying "performing straight sex acts"?

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Does that mean that a straight lifestyle is just a way of saying "performing straight sex acts"?

Given that's about the only thing that's common among straight people, probably.

What else do you think would be meant by "the gay lifestyle", given that gay people are as diverse as straight people and about all they have in common across the group is sexual attraction to members of their own sex?

Top Bottom