Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I know there are a lot of pros to being a Lutheran ;) I've been one most of my life. The Liturgy, absolution, Law/Gospel properly distinguished...

But some of the cons are difficult to come up with. I guess that maybe having to stick with what the bible says instead of the world can be very difficult.

Radman

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Let me do this again. I must have pressed the wrong button. Anyway I'm proud to be a conservative/confessional Lutheran. Their are pros and cons and I have hashed this out with many people and have stepped on a few feet. I guess it continues, so back into the fray. :)

kaynoel

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
The best thing about being Lutheran is that your faith does not depend on your feelings. It's what Christ did, not our emotions each day.

Sorry, I can't think of con. My parents would look at Lutheranism as a con all the way around. They are staunch Baptists.

Radman

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The best thing about being Lutheran is that your faith does not depend on your feelings. It's what Christ did, not our emotions each day.

Sorry, I can't think of con. My parents would look at Lutheranism as a con all the way around. They are staunch Baptists.
Good answer Sis

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Good: Just about everything.
Bad: Lime jello with cottage cheese.

WildStrawberry

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The good: Everything I believe I can point to in the Word.

The bad: hmm. Umm. Hmm.

ctayus

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I've been a Lutheran all my life, can't see being anything different

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
ctay!! You made it here :) Good to see you!

ctayus

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yeo I made it!!!:D

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Ok be serious you guys because im curious.
There has to be a downside of every church whether a pet peeve or an unsung dogma that becomes a stumbling block for others whom may not get it possibly OSAS or predestination, the Pope being an anti-Christ? (Rare)... Or the struggle of faith perpetuating the will of Gods good works in the believer instead of works alone through faith for justification? Something as to annoy you. Some con as in every church :)
There must be something you dont agree with to some level... ?

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
There has to be a downside of every church whether a pet peeve or an unsung dogma that becomes a stumbling block for others whom may not get it possibly OSAS or predestination, the Pope being an anti-Christ? (Rare)... Or the struggle of faith perpetuating the will of Gods good works in the believer instead of works alone through faith for justification? Something as to annoy you. Some con as in every church :)

1. In the Lutheran Confessions, there are some terrible things about the RCC papacy. My concern over these statements kept me from being Confirmed and officially joining a parish belonging to a Lutheran denomination for over a year. I do NOT believe that the office of the papacy or any (or all) "popes" are - in any sense - the antichrist. What I DO believe is that the Pope is a spokesman for that singular denomination and that the RCC is (at best) confused on the issue of Justification, and where there are things that seem to diminish Christ as the Savior, that is (by definition) anti-Christ. Frankly, I would not make a big deal of that (there are LOTS of cases of Christians diminishing Christ). I had conversations with my Lutheran pastor who conveyed to me these statements in the Confessions must be seen in their historical context, and that in seminary he was NOT taught that the pope or papacy was THE anti-Christ but only that the RCC in protesting the Lutheran position was indeed diminishing the Gospel .... when the RCC's "pope" parrots the RCC's entangled mess, he is voicing this. He conveyed to me his own deep respect for the RCC and his own belief that generally Catholics fully believe the true Gospel. He assured me that is the typical LCMS to me (in spite of an official paper as late as 1932). Eventually, I could live with this. BUT I strongly believe Lutheranism should just delete all that stuff from our Confessions.... not simply say "We hold to that... but not really."

2. The issue of "fellowship" has been very difficult, especially in the USA. This is an issue of PRAXIS and not doctrine, and I don't let PRAXIS determine my membership. There is a "tension" here, as I freely admit, and we should avoid either extreme. Where to "draw the line" is UNAVOIDABLY a subjective and arbitray thing. The LCMS has had many "fights" over this... and it continues to this day. On a practical, parish issue this probably impacts Holy Communion more than anything (but it is a bigger issue than that). LCMS congregations have a broad range of practices here.... and the LCMS itself has been very inconsistent.... and there tends to be a geographical aspect to this (parishes on the two coasts tend to be more broad, those in the midwest more narrow and strict)... but IMO, I'm a "broad" Lutheran (and in that sense, perhaps more in line with the ELCA than the LCMS). My LCMS parish welcomes to the Sacrament all Baptized believers who confess Christ as the Savior, repent of their sins and hold that Christ forgives and empowers, are committed to walking in the Lord, and who accept Real Presence (we also hold to First Communion and so don't commune those under 10 who have not completed that.... a position I tend to hold is too narrow, frankly I'd welcome babies). This means we welcome all Lutherans, Orthodox and Catholics ... and often others; it's not open communion but it's not the "close communion" you'd find in many LCMS churches in the midwest. There ARE LCMS churches who would strongly disagree with our praxis here, but I'd like it to be even broader (I'm a broad Lutheran, lol) This is the issue that divides the LCMS from WELS, with the Wisconsin Synod being more narrow in fellowship. In fact, we split over that very issue. In the 1950's the LCMS often had Boy Scout troops in their parishes, and they pray, and sometimes there would be troop members NOT officially members of the parish. WELS felt this violated "fellowship" praying with non-Lutherans, whereas the LCMS saw no problem with that. It actually caused a split so that the two Lutheran denominations have nothing to do with each other anymore. How silly.

3. Lutherans, like almost all European groups, has tended to be way too ethnic and way too little evangelistic. The LCMS (with roots in Germany) continue to use German until 1917, in spite of German no longer being the typical spoken language of LCMS members (only WW 1 changed that) and very few Americans. We're FAR better than the ELCA in this regard - with many more non-Germans and Scandinavians, many more African Americans than the ELCA or WELS - but it's still terrible. And we tend to look to Baptism and retention of children as our "growth" rather than the Great Commission. This is changing.... but our "culture" is to look to our own, LOTS of homogenious thinking. This is the same in Catholicism, Anglicanism and even more in Orthodoxy. A strong sense of reaching out to the lost - seen better in some other denominations, especially American formed ones - needs a LOT of development in Lutheranism. We "talk the talk" (really well) but don't "walk the walk" much.

I still haven't shared why I wandered to Lutheranism.... I will...

Last edited:

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes

Yes. I don't agree with a church that is traditionally Liturgical beginning to do away with Liturgy. There are hundreds (I kid not) of churches in our area where anyone can attend that is sufficiently modern with the goal of "attracting families with children" (the stated goal of my congregation). In this process, however, we have begun to lay Liturgical practice aside. Imo, "families with children" are equally able to learn Liturgy as they are modern Hillsong 'hymns'. Thankfully, we have not given up proper instruction in baptism, communion, and confession/absolution

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Pros=The Lutheran distictives as outlined by others already within this thread.

Perfered solidarity=1st a ‘close’ vs ‘closed or open’ communion table. As addressed by [MENTION=13]Josiah[/MENTION]>I'm a "broad" Lutheran (and in that sense, perhaps more in line with the ELCA than the LCMS). My LCMS parish welcomes to the Sacrament all Baptized believers who confess Christ as the Savior, repent of their sins and hold that Christ forgives and empowers, are committed to walking in the Lord, and who accept Real Presence(.)

2nd To proudly embrace our Catholic roots (Western rite) praxis. Where not only the alter area being treated as sacred space but the whole sanctuary weather its during Divine service or not.

Top Bottom