Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
How often do you clean out your closet and purge?

Last fall I filled up 2 trash bags with clothes that I wasn't sure I wanted to get rid of yet and I marked on them that to donate by June(?) if I find that I don't even open them up. I still haven't opened them so I must not miss those clothes.

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My wife and I aren’t much for gathering a lot of stuff but on her last staycation she went through our basement and created two piles. One for Goodwill and the other for recycling. They were each a small pick up load size and its been at least five years before that’s been done.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I tend to mainly get rid of a few items at a time when I get new clothes. I tend to wear shoes out faster since I run, but I have had some business type shoes that I have probably had for 20 years too.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I tend to wear clothes until they wear out so it's quite rare for me to donate used clothes. Most of my stuff follows a pattern - firstly I use it for day-to-day wearing, then it gets a little old and tired so I use it for times that I don't need anything fancy and then over time it becomes the stuff I wear for hiking or working, and finally it goes in the trash. By then it's so tatty it's hard to see anybody else wanting it at all.

In general I try to avoid buying things unless they are particularly useful, so likewise I seldom throw stuff out unless it's irrepairably broken or worn out. My wife likes to cycle her seasonal decorations and every time she takes one set down she goes through them and anything she's tired of goes to the local charity shop. If she finds decorations at the charity shop that are nice enough to last a season or two she'll often pick them up.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
I recently did a clean-up of some of my wardrobe. I found a number of things that didn't fit as well as a couple of jackets that i really didn't need since I have newer ones that I'll wear instead. With my job we do drop-in's (or did when it was colder) at some warming shelters, so I gave most of it to them directly. My pattern seems to be that I'll have five or six shirts I'll wear for work, t-shirts that are more casual or day-off wear, sleep-wear (worn t-shirts and shorts) and my one and only suit :D
I usually find some decent shoes that don't wear too easily so I'm not getting rid of them often

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Am I the only one who has more things than clothes and shoes in my closet? :biglaugh:

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Am I the only one who has more things than clothes and shoes in my closet? :biglaugh:

It depends which closet we're talking about :)

For me one thing that tends to take up a growing amount of space is old cables. The trouble with cables is that they are so expensive for what they are, if you want one in a hurry. So I find I have box with something like 4,692 USB cables in it. I know very well that if I throw some out the next thing that will happen is I'll realise I need one of the cables that the garbage men took away this morning, I need it today, which means a special trip and probably $24.99 to buy one to take away now. Easier to just devote a room in the house to spare cables....

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It depends which closet we're talking about :)

For me one thing that tends to take up a growing amount of space is old cables. The trouble with cables is that they are so expensive for what they are, if you want one in a hurry. So I find I have box with something like 4,692 USB cables in it. I know very well that if I throw some out the next thing that will happen is I'll realise I need one of the cables that the garbage men took away this morning, I need it today, which means a special trip and probably $24.99 to buy one to take away now. Easier to just devote a room in the house to spare cables....

LOL That reminded me of this:

3118671103163cb0e264c0ccee0ae31a.jpg

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
AC adapters do tend to get thrown out within a year or six of the appliance packing up. Of course if the adapter works with another appliance it's worth keeping as a spare, it's really annoying to have a perfectly good appliance become unusable because the power supply died.

I don't think I have very many power supplies that don't match at least appliance I currently use. I do have some curious things floating about that would catch a few people off guard, like a UK power strip with a US plug on it, and a US power strip with a UK plug on it. Their purposes should be fairly apparent - they mean I can use a lot more of my power cables and don't have to keep carrying loads of cables with me when I travel. If I have to carry cables I prefer US cables because the plugs are smaller, and sometimes a power strip with a non-matching plug means I can make life easier for myself.

When my time is up I shudder to think what my executor will make of some of what they will find around my house.

Wilhemena

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I will let me grandchildren clean out my closets for me and it will be an adventure for them.

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes

Oh, yeah, that's invisible and ignored. :D

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
LOL That reminded me of this:

3118671103163cb0e264c0ccee0ae31a.jpg

But I know they go to something, and if I throw them out then I'll find that 'something', and then what?? :D

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
But I know they go to something, and if I throw them out then I'll find that 'something', and then what?? :D

I did that!!! I threw out a small adapter that I had no clue what it went to and it ended up going to a clay pottery wheel my daughter had :( I blew the motor using a different adapter. So, keep your adapters!

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My wife's late aunt never seemed to clean out her closets. After she died we had to figure out her affairs and found all sorts of random things. Among the less useful were greetings cards sent to her 40 years previously, and boxes for appliances she had got rid of years previously (yes, she'd got rid of the appliance but still had the box it came in). Among the more interesting things were a silver cutlery set we didn't even know existed, and a jar containing about $70 worth of dimes. It turned out they were pre-1964 silver dimes, so instead of $70 they were worth closer to $1000. That was a pleasant surprise.

benniebiark

Religious Affiliation
Calvary Chapel
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
Single
How often do you clean out closet

who would have thought to do that Most people think pavers get ripped up by snow plows.....I wonder how they fair in cold areas with lots of snow?

Top Bottom