Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
My brother-in-law is from Ireland and they're not well known for their food. What are some of the traditional foods that you enjoy that are Irish?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Corned beef and cabbage, love it and will be having it Sunday. Got a really good deal on the corned beef, got it for 1.27 a pound and bought four of them.

vince284

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
My brother-in-law is from Ireland and they're not well known for their food. What are some of the traditional foods that you enjoy that are Irish?

How can you say that with dishes like crubeens and black pudding! :chef: Okay, maybe you're right.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Corned beef and cabbage, love it and will be having it Sunday. Got a really good deal on the corned beef, got it for 1.27 a pound and bought four of them.

I understand folks in Ireland have never even heard of corned beef and cabbage...

I think it's an AMERICAN meal..... popular among JEWISH folks in New York City.... the Irish in NYC learning it from the Jews in that city.

My favorite Irish food is Jameson Whiskey.

vince284

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Do any of you like trifle? It's a traditional dessert and is usually made with sherry.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Never tried it Lamm and I do like Baileys Irish Creame

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
Never tried it, but my guess it's good. Well, I did work with an Irish co-worker overseas - but I never bothered to try his food. Anyway, a lot of countries have awesome food - but it isn't well known. For instance, Korean food is awesome (I spent a few years in South Korea.) - but mostly you only see Japanese and Chinese restaurants in the US.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Never tried it, but my guess it's good. Well, I did work with an Irish co-worker overseas - but I never bothered to try his food. Anyway, a lot of countries have awesome food - but it isn't well known. For instance, Korean food is awesome (I spent a few years in South Korea.) - but mostly you only see Japanese and Chinese restaurants in the US.

OH but wait because Korean restaurants are popping up all over now! There is one in a town a few towns away from me and I'm wanting to try it but forget about it. And back in the state I used to live a Korean restaurant is about to open up. So they're becoming a thing now :D

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
OH but wait because Korean restaurants are popping up all over now! There is one in a town a few towns away from me and I'm wanting to try it but forget about it. And back in the state I used to live a Korean restaurant is about to open up. So they're becoming a thing now :D

You should try it! Look into the cold noodle, hot ramen, kimchi, and galbi (sometimes prononced Kalbi) dishes. Anyway, many common American dishes like fried fish also taste great with kimchi on the side.

I pretty much ate that stuff - at least 90 percent of the time during my later time in Korea. I was shy to eat that stuff at first - mostly eating western fast food.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Do any of you like trifle? It's a traditional dessert and is usually made with sherry.

Haven't had trifle in years. My grandmother used to make it when I was a child, although usually without the sherry so the kids in the family could eat it. Then as we got older the sherry got added. Years later a friend made what he called "tipsy pudding" which was rather like a trifle but with a lot of extra cream and a lot of extra alcohol. This was a dessert you didn't want to eat if you were planning on driving any time soon. Most of the time he'd make it at weekend gatherings when nobody had to drive anywhere until the following evening.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
You should try it! Look into the cold noodle, hot ramen, kimchi, and galbi (sometimes prononced Kalbi) dishes. Anyway, many common American dishes like fried fish also taste great with kimchi on the side.

I pretty much ate that stuff - at least 90 percent of the time during my later time in Korea. I was shy to eat that stuff at first - mostly eating western fast food.

I tried kimchi and thought it was awful.... I really couldn't stand the stuff. I really enjoyed beef bulgogi and hot tuna onigiri rolls. There used to be a restaurant near me that was a Japanese/Koren fusion restaurant. Some of their dishes were amazing. My wife and I took our Japanese neighbor there for dinner one evening and she was impressed.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

I'm not sure I've ever had Korean food...I might have though because one of my friends growing up was Korean and I think I ate at their house when I was like 10.

MeowsePad

Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
In Relationship
The only Irish food that I've ever had is corned beef and cabbage, which is delicious. Irish cuisine definitely has not spread in the same way that others have. I'm partially Irish, and I'm not sure that I can think of another Irish dish...

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I to love corned beef but the truth is that it didnt come from Ireland

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I to love corned beef but the truth is that it didnt come from Ireland

The server at an Irish pub told me that corned beef and cabbage is JEWISH and that in Ireland, they'd never heard of it. According to her, it was a popular CHEAP food for New York Jews.... and the arriving Irish (also poor) learned the dish from them.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The server at an Irish pub told me that corned beef and cabbage is JEWISH and that in Ireland, they'd never heard of it. According to her, it was a popular CHEAP food for New York Jews.... and the arriving Irish (also poor) learned the dish from them.

The Irish knew what corned beef and cabbage was back in their homeland but it was too expensive for them to eat it. When immigrants came to America, they finally had money and could spend it on beef and here's the part where the Jews came into play... the Jews used a different cut of beef to make their corned beef. So in essence the Jews taught them a new way of making the dish that both heritages were aware of. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/is-corned-beef-really-irish-2839144/

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Which cut of the corned beef do you prefer to buy at the store? Flat cut or point?

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
How can you say that with dishes like crubeens and black pudding! :chef: Okay, maybe you're right.

Unless the Irish have their own recipe for it black pudding is little more than a giant scab rolled up and sliced. I had friends who were butchers and when they told me what went into black pudding I wanted to be sick. Most of it was blood.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Lamm I like either cut as it gets boiled with the cabbage and seasonings so is tender no matter which but I do prefer fat as that adds flavor

Top Bottom