CH a discussion board or bulletin board?

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
We spend a lot of time trying to increase participation. Is the practice of throwing down a video, followed by a What do you think of that? appropriate for a discussion board like CH? Or, somewhat in the same vein, posting a long cut and paste or two or three from somewhere or other, allegedly for instructional purposes? I like it when the members actually explain their own ideas and beliefs and then engage in conversation about them with the rest of us.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
We spend a lot of time trying to increase participation. Is the practice of throwing down a video, followed by a What do you think of that? appropriate for a discussion board like CH? Or, somewhat in the same vein, posting a long cut and paste or two or three from somewhere or other, allegedly for instructional purposes? I like it when the members actually explain their own ideas and beliefs and then engage in conversation about them with the rest of us.

What's so noble and good about one's own ideas and how is a Christian discussion board ever going to avoid cut & pasted quotes from the bible or from sources that explain, support, or invent a doctrine? You can't be serious when you ask for people to "explain their own ideas" when in reality if they are discussing Christian theology they are at most discussing old ideas derived from what they've read in books - the bible included. Besides video clips can be amusing, thought provoking, and far more interesting than the alleged "own ideas" that some folk may want to explain. And quotes from books are Christians' top source for discussions; especially if the book is the bible.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
What's so noble and good about one's own ideas...
Frankly, I do not think of any discussion board as noble. But we like them and we may profit from them, because we exchange ideas with actual people. What is more, I am very confident that guests and potential CH newcomers are looking for that; they already have a world of internet webpages, library books, and so on at their disposal.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Frankly, I do not think of any discussion board as noble. But we like them and we may profit from them, because we exchange ideas with actual people. What is more, I am very confident that guests and potential CH newcomers are looking for that; they already have a world of internet webpages, library books, and so on at their disposal.

The people who write books are actual people too, right? Or are they somehow excluded from that category?

And Lo, the last post and this one are from one chap to another without any noticeable quotes thus far.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

We allow both of those things to happen here. I am using my workout thread for my own purposes but maybe it will encourage others to do the workouts with me. I'm not necessarily striving for constant discussion about it although I don't prohibit discussion either.

I like to think of the site as much more than a discussion board. I agree that it's nice to be able to discuss in certain areas of the site instead of wondering why something was posted.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The people who write books are actual people too, right? Or are they somehow excluded from that category?

And Lo, the last post and this one are from one chap to another without any noticeable quotes thus far.

There is a difference between discussing the contents of a book with the author of the book, and someone just posting a direct extract from someone else's book without any comments of their own.

Posting something like "Here's a passage of Scripture. How do you think it applies to us today" is far more conducive to discussion than simply posting the same passage of Scripture without comment.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
We allow both of those things to happen here. I am using my workout thread for my own purposes but maybe it will encourage others to do the workouts with me. I'm not necessarily striving for constant discussion about it although I don't prohibit discussion either.

I like to think of the site as much more than a discussion board. I agree that it's nice to be able to discuss in certain areas of the site instead of wondering why something was posted.

As you wish, but that's my contribution to doing something about the problem you and Romanos seem to worry about a lot. If it actually is not as important a problem as I thought it was seen to be, forget it.

To be a bit more precise about my post, however, I am not saying that every instance of one of those doings that I mentioned ought to be reconsidered, banned, or even close to it. But when it becomes the main thing that any member does, thread after thread after thread, I would think the consequences are obvious. I didn't even suggest a particular change. My thinking was more along the lines of presenting a suggestion to all readers here who might then perhaps give it some consideration. But no, just forget it.

Last edited:

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
There is a difference between discussing the contents of a book with the author of the book, and someone just posting a direct extract from someone else's book without any comments of their own.

Posting something like "Here's a passage of Scripture. How do you think it applies to us today" is far more conducive to discussion than simply posting the same passage of Scripture without comment.
:thumbsup: A little light is getting through!

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
:thumbsup: A little light is getting through!

I'm reminded of a quote often attributed to Albert Einstein (don't know if he actually said it or not), that if you can't explain something in simple terms it means you don't understand it very well.

Generally speaking it seems these days there are lots of people who know what they think but why they think it is a mystery. They know that all right-thinking people agree with them (because, obviously, duh) but if you ask them to explain or justify their position they either can't do it or they revert to insults because you must be one of those others who disagrees, who is (by definition) not a right-thinking person, and who is therefore worthy of derision.

Personally I think if someone can't or won't explain why they think what they do it's all but impossible to have a useful discussion because if all they have to offer is to state a position and then refuse to defend it the chances are you've got someone who just parrots what someone else told them to think. Whether it's "my church says that..." or "my daddy says that..." the end result is the same.

Of course there are times that the cognitive dissonance is very strong and it's hard to get anything past it.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
As you wish, but that's my contribution to doing something about the problem you and Romanos seem to worry about a lot. If it actually is not as important a problem as I thought it was seen to be, forget it.

To be a bit more precise about my post, however, I am not saying that every instance of one of those doings that I mentioned ought to be reconsidered, banned, or even close to it. But when it becomes the main thing that any member does, thread after thread after thread, I would think the consequences are obvious. I didn't even suggest a particular change. My thinking was more along the lines of presenting a suggestion to all readers here who might then perhaps give it some consideration. But no, just forget it.

My last paragraph stated that I agreed "that it's nice to be able to discuss in certain areas of the site instead of wondering why something was posted."

Here is the solution to the problem you're having here with posts that have no explanation...ask a question about it in the thread. Admit to the OP you don't see his point or where he wants the discussion to go. A kind and understanding OP would respond favorably. :smirk:

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

Maybe, but we see a lot of scripture posted as if it answers some previous post :)

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
A kind and understanding OP would respond favorably.
Yeh, I suppose "a kind and understanding OP" would do that. So, aside from the obvious--that "a kind and understanding OP " wouldn't be doing it in the first place--I missed the part where the prospective new members that we often talk about needing to attract probably don't want to play those games any more than most of us do.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Maybe, but we see a lot of scripture posted as if it answers some previous post :)

... which is part of the problem. Just posting a bunch of verses proves nothing. Explaining why they are relevant is what makes a discussion useful, no?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
... which is part of the problem. Just posting a bunch of verses proves nothing. Explaining why they are relevant is what makes a discussion useful, no?

Sometimes but usually not so much because the explanations are so often self serving distortions of what the verses say and are intended to teach. But sometimes people offer an honest view about a passage.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Sometimes but usually not so much because the explanations are so often self serving distortions of what the verses say and are intended to teach. But sometimes people offer an honest view about a passage.

If someone explains why they quoted the text then at least there's the chance to counter their interpretations. If someone just dumps a load of Scripture without comment there's no way of knowing what, if any, reason they had for doing it. Kinda like this:

Joh 7:46 The officers answered, "No man ever spoke like this Man!"
Joh 7:47 Then the Pharisees answered them, "Are you also deceived?
Joh 7:48 Have any of the rulers or the Pharisees believed in Him?
Joh 7:49 But this crowd that does not know the law is accursed."
Joh 7:50 Nicodemus (he who came to Jesus by night, being one of them) said to them,
Joh 7:51 "Does our law judge a man before it hears him and knows what he is doing?"

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
If someone explains why they quoted the text then at least there's the chance to counter their interpretations. If someone just dumps a load of Scripture without comment there's no way of knowing what, if any, reason they had for doing it. Kinda like this:

Joh 7:50 Nicodemus (he who came to Jesus by night, being one of them) said to them,
Joh 7:51 "Does our law judge a man before it hears him and knows what he is doing?"

True, but then you can just skip the post and either write something interesting of your own or write nothing.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Then you see this particular technique as part of the same problem I was mentioning. OK. In the case of scripture, it CAN be that the verse(s) pretty obviously answers the question being debated, but I agree that that is not always the case. I get that.

However, what if the device leads off the thread, if it is the OP? That doesn't usually happen with the scripture-posters, but it is the usual way with the cheap gimmick of starting a thread by just posting a video and expecting people to invest their time in discovering what's in it and then maybe making a thread out of it on behalf of the OP poster. Or the more obvious outcome--they find they've subjected themselves to some propaganda the OP writer wanted to disseminate but which they, the readers, are not interested in.

Last edited:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Then you see this particular technique as part of the same problem I was mentioning. OK. In the case of scripture, it CAN be that the verse(s) pretty obviously answers the question being debated, but I agree that that is not always the case. I get that.

However, what if the device leads off the thread, if it is the OP? That doesn't usually happen with the scripture-posters, but it is the usual way with the cheap gimmick of starting a thread by just posting a video and expecting people to invest their time in discovering what's in it and then maybe making a thread out of it on behalf of the OP poster. Or the more obvious outcome--they find they've subjected themselves to some propaganda the OP writer wanted to disseminate but which they, the readers, are not interested in.

If I don't have time to look at a video (especially the long ones) I try to ask the OP for a brief synopsis. It might be nice even if a certain minute point in the video was mentioned to push forward to that part. Not all OPs will comply with either request. That's when I think that maybe the topic isn't interesting enough for me to bother :whistle:

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Sure, if someone says "what Scripture supports this viewpoint?" and you respond with Scripture that may be all that is required. If all a post contains is Scripture with no context and no explanation (implied or otherwise) of why it's relevant then it's not likely to be useful. For extra points there's always the option to respond "you figure it out" if someone asks about it.

For myself I'm very seldom interested in videos, especially long ones. If you want me to sit for an hour and watch a video you're going to have to persuade me it's worth an hour of my life before I even start. If all you've got is "hey, what do you think of this?" my response is likely to be "It's too long to interest me". One trouble with links is that it becomes so easy to do little more than post a video to someone else discussing something as if it were an answer to a question. Using a video (with a link to a time point in it, as appropriate) as a source for a discussion works but to answer a question with little more than "Joe Blow talks about that in this video" with a link to a 75 minute video isn't really an answer.

My general stance on a video is that if someone can't be bothered to write a few sentences to summarise the video then I can't be bothered to spend an hour of my life watching it to see if there's any point to it.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
... what if the device leads off the thread, if it is the OP? That doesn't usually happen with the scripture-posters, but it is the usual way with the cheap gimmick of starting a thread by just posting a video and expecting people to invest their time in discovering what's in it and then maybe making a thread out of it on behalf of the OP poster. Or the more obvious outcome--they find they've subjected themselves to some propaganda the OP writer wanted to disseminate but which they, the readers, are not interested in.

If you do not want to see the video then do not click on it. If you watch it and dislike its content then why bother commenting about it? If you watch it and think that it is worth a comment then make your comment and see how the thread develops. I see a number of threads started with a video clip and an brief comment. They can be good threads. Many of the Lutheran satire videos were used as thread starters here in CH. Some had comments in the original post along with the video and some have none or almost none. It is okay to let a video speak to the issue that the thread starter wants to discuss.

You could watch this video and see if it helps. It is set in an educational forum context. It has something useful to say about CH too, though in CH quoting an alleged authority is pivotal to many debates; the authority is often the bible but sometimes a statement of faith, a personal experience, or a catechism (which is a more detailed statement of faith). Other starters can be used too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom