Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
It's been years since I've been to either a bridal or baby shower. What is the trend now for them? I remember when I was a kid that my mom would drag me with to them and there would be a game with prizes. Do they still do that?

vince284

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
It's been years since I've been to either a bridal or baby shower. What is the trend now for them? I remember when I was a kid that my mom would drag me with to them and there would be a game with prizes. Do they still do that?

I guess I’m not really the one to be posting a reply since I don’t know much about bridal or baby showers. However, my daughter had her bridal shower back in September (I think). I walked into the private room of the Italian restaurant saw the decorations and said hi to a couple of people that were already there and then went out into the main seating area. I’m not sure why my daughter wanted me there. So it was just the in-law and me hanging out. But the groom sat with all the ladies.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I guess I’m not really the one to be posting a reply since I don’t know much about bridal or baby showers. However, my daughter had her bridal shower back in September (I think). I walked into the private room of the Italian restaurant saw the decorations and said hi to a couple of people that were already there and then went out into the main seating area. I’m not sure why my daughter wanted me there. So it was just the in-law and me hanging out. But the groom sat with all the ladies.

That's great that your daughter wanted you to be there! How long did you have to sit in the main seating area? Did they feed you at least? LOL

vince284

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
That's great that your daughter wanted you to be there! How long did you have to sit in the main seating area? Did they feed you at least? LOL

I’m not sure if they fed me or I had to pay for it. :wink:
I had the Crispy Pork Shoulder and it was so much food and good too. I can’t remember how long I was out there, maybe a couple of hours. We had a lot of visitors from the bridal shower stopping at our table, probably to meet and greet the fathers of the bride and groom. I remember everyone was dressed so nice, I didn’t know women dressed up for these affairs.
I remember a few “toasts” along the way too. :mischievous:

ValleyGal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
I'm surprised to hear that bridal showers now include men. I knew that about baby showers - after all, it's his baby, too! But a bridal shower is akin to the stag party - and to my knowledge, they still don't invite women to those!

I think these kinds of celebratory showers are different in the church than out. Bridal showers, I've heard, is just a great opportunity to put a "bride veil" on the bride and parade her around from bar to bar, where she would get free drinks and admission to the male strippers. ... more like the stereotypical stag party. But for church-goers, I think traditional is still how it's done.

vince284

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
I'm surprised to hear that bridal showers now include men. I knew that about baby showers - after all, it's his baby, too! But a bridal shower is akin to the stag party - and to my knowledge, they still don't invite women to those!

I think these kinds of celebratory showers are different in the church than out. Bridal showers, I've heard, is just a great opportunity to put a "bride veil" on the bride and parade her around from bar to bar, where she would get free drinks and admission to the male strippers. ... more like the stereotypical stag party. But for church-goers, I think traditional is still how it's done.

Not sure how it's been done before, but my daughter had the shower and it was given to her by her mother. I was surprised too, but it was only the father of the groom and me (we where not in the same room), plus the groom. Later, about a week before the wedding she had her own "party" and only "the girls" rented a limo and had it all day. I think they went wine tasting and stayed in some fancy hotel. I'm not sure what happened that day since what "Happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.", and I didn't ask. I think that was more of her "stag" party.

My son in-law, as far as I know went golfing and then to some sort of pro ballgame with his friends and of course partied all night at his house. He owns a nice lake front home, it's a nice place to hang out. He did invite me but I think they got back around 3AM to start their party. Way past my bedtime.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

The bar to bar thing is more of a bachelorette party which is separate from the bridal shower. I opted to not have a bachelorette party...I don't drink :D

vince284

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
The bar to bar thing is more of a bachelorette party which is separate from the bridal shower. I opted to not have a bachelorette party...I don't drink :D

You're right! I couldn't remember what it was called, the bachelorette party. The bridal shower was sort of on the formal side, it could have been done at a church. No male strippers. Is that still a "thing" the stripper scene?

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm not sure what is done these days. Being of a more male persuasion I don't get invited to very many bridal showers and, since most of the people we know are already married, neither does my wife.

I'm surprised the whole alcohol-and-strippers event still persists, although I guess each new person doing it thinks it's the way to host such an event. I remember a friend's stag/bachelor party from many years ago and being more than a little surprised to be in a place known for its strippers, surrounded by attractive young women wearing extremely little (not surprisingly they didn't take long to catch on to the fact our tables were a stag group) and feeling a growing sense of "meh, whatever" about it all. Sure, the women were talking to us as if we were the sexiest men in the place but it didn't take a genius all they wanted was the money it cost for a private dance.

Maybe I'm just cynical.

vince284

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
I'm not sure what is done these days. Being of a more male persuasion I don't get invited to very many bridal showers and, since most of the people we know are already married, neither does my wife.

Yeah, I had never been invited to one, and I was surprised that my daughter wanted me to come to the restaurant. Maybe it was to keep the father of the groom company, I think he was there to help setup and take things down. The reason I knew a lot of what was going on was because "the plans" were the major dinner talk every night and the living room and dining room were covered in decorations for weeks.

Top Bottom