Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Thanks, I’ll share this with my wife!

I'm trying to really perfect my pizza making skills. My confusion comes into seeing sites where the serious crafters talk about weighing ingredients and percentage ratios...eek.

vince284

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
I love pizza, if I bake a Chicago style pizza I use a heavy cast iron skillet which I don't preheat and the "pie" is so thick that the crust bakes perfectly and since the sauce is on top, it protects everything else. I have a 10.5 cast iron round griddle that I keep for a spare, never thought about using it for pizza, I'm going to give it a try. Usually, I use a wooden pizza peel and slide the pizza onto a very hot pizza stone, love the crunchier crusts.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I love pizza, if I bake a Chicago style pizza I use a heavy cast iron skillet which I don't preheat and the "pie" is so thick that the crust bakes perfectly and since the sauce is on top, it protects everything else. I have a 10.5 cast iron round griddle that I keep for a spare, never thought about using it for pizza, I'm going to give it a try. Usually, I use a wooden pizza peel and slide the pizza onto a very hot pizza stone, love the crunchier crusts.
Hello Vince and welcome!

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
See!? The smell of pizza cooking will bring people in like moths to a flame :flame:

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
I had a gift certificate for Amazon so I purchased a cast iron pizza pan and today I seasoned it (it was pre-seasoned but I wanted to make it better) and then used it for the first time. It was so good! I made a pepperoni pizza and even though I split my dough into 2 sections and made it too thin, the flavor was incredible and the crust was crunchy. Plus, I could use the pizza cutter to cut the slices in the pan and leave the other slices to stay hot while we ate.

How did that work to use the cutter in the pan? It seems you wouldn't get a proper slice to the edge

Oh, nm. I was thinking the same depth as a cast-iron skillet. I'll have to try that now :)

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Sounds really good, and it is good to see you posting Vince, welcome

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

What is your pizza dough recipe?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
How did that work to use the cutter in the pan? It seems you wouldn't get a proper slice to the edge

Oh, nm. I was thinking the same depth as a cast-iron skillet. I'll have to try that now :)

Well, the edges of my first pizza were still up to the rim so it was hard to get them cut all the way through but the second pizza shrunk in a bit so it was fine.

vince284

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
My dough recipe

What is your pizza dough recipe?

Oh my, I have been making my own pizza dough forever and I have settled on this one because it's so easy. And I found out that I make this dough more and more and it has many uses. This recipe makes two 14" pizzas, but I use it for a focaccia too. I also will make calzones for a change of pace, it will even work for a rustic herb Italian bread for dinner. And I do most of it in my food processor.

I proof 2 1/4 tsp of dry active yeast in 1 1/3 cups of warm water with 1 tsp of sugar for about 8-10 minutes.
I briefly pulse 3 1/3 cups of unbleached AP flour with 1 1/4 tsp of kosher salt. Always use the metal blades for this whole recipe.
To make it easy on myself since I'm usually doing this after I get home from work and a glass of red wine in one hand, I pour in 3 tsp of good olive oil and stir it in the already proofed yeast.

With the food processor running on low I slowly, not too slow, pour in the wet mixture into the processor. I let it go until it becomes a sticky dough, about 45-50 seconds. Just pour it out on a floured surface. It will be sticky, just need some flour into it to make it easier to work and make it into a tight ball. Put it in an oiled bowl and flip it a couple of times to oil the surface of the dough ball.

Cover it and let it sit in a warm place for about an hour. It’s done what’s next it’s up to you.

Pizza, I punch it down knead it 30 seconds to a minute and cut it in two, one half for a pizza. I tightly wrap the other half and put it in the fridge, it will hold for a couple of days. The pizza half I loosely cover and rest it for about 15-30 minutes, no more. Then with your fingers press it out into your pizza shape, no need to roll and if you are good enough do the pizza dough toss, get some video of it. I don’t prebake it, I use a preheated pizza stone. 10-14 minutes at 400.

This oily dough is awesome. Disclaimer: I wrote this from memory, if I forgot something let me know.

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Oh my, I have been making my own pizza dough forever and I have settled on this one because it's so easy. And I found out that I make this dough more and more and it has many uses. This recipe makes two 14" pizzas, but I use it for a focaccia too. I also will make calzones for a change of pace, it will even work for a rustic herb Italian bread for dinner. And I do most of it in my food processor.

I proof 2 1/4 tsp of dry active yeast in 1 1/3 cups of warm water with 1 tsp of sugar for about 8-10 minutes.
I briefly pulse 3 1/3 cups of unbleached AP flour with 1 1/4 tsp of kosher salt. Always use the metal blades for this whole recipe.
To make it easy on myself since I'm usually doing this after I get home from work and a glass of red wine in one hand, I pour in 3 tsp of good olive oil and stir it in the already proofed yeast.

With the food processor running on low I slowly, not too slow, pour in the wet mixture into the processor. I let it go until it becomes a sticky dough, about 45-50 seconds. Just pour it out on a floured surface. It will be sticky, just need some flour into it to make it easier to work and make it into a tight ball. Put it in an oiled bowl and flip it a couple of times to oil the surface of the dough ball.

Cover it and let it sit in a warm place for about an hour. It’s done what’s next it’s up to you.

Pizza, I punch it down knead it 30 seconds to a minute and cut it in two, one half for a pizza. I tightly wrap the other half and put it in the fridge, it will hold for a couple of days. The pizza half I loosely cover and rest it for about 15-30 minutes, no more. Then with your fingers press it out into your pizza shape, no need to roll and if you are good enough do the pizza dough toss, get some video of it. I don’t prebake it, I use a preheated pizza stone. 10-14 minutes at 400.

This oily dough is awesome. Disclaimer: I wrote this from memory, if I forgot something let me know.

Thanks for sharing Vince!

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Since one half of the dough you put in your fridge and one half is used immediately, do you find there is a difference in the quality of the one from the fridge? I make a dough that gets put into the fridge for 2-3 days to ferment and the longer it's in the fridge, the better the flavor but only up to 3 days really.

vince284

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Since one half of the dough you put in your fridge and one half is used immediately, do you find there is a difference in the quality of the one from the fridge? I make a dough that gets put into the fridge for 2-3 days to ferment and the longer it's in the fridge, the better the flavor but only up to 3 days really.

Yes! I do find that it takes on a little more and better flavor. That's why I like making it into a table bread and serve it with some seasoned olive oil. Mine never lasts in the fridge more than 2 days. Although, if I don't wrap it well, I'll have blowouts! Once I bake it... it doesn't last past dinner. :)

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes! I do find that it takes on a little more and better flavor. That's why I like making it into a table bread and serve it with some seasoned olive oil. Mine never lasts in the fridge more than 2 days. Although, if I don't wrap it well, I'll have blowouts! Once I bake it... it doesn't last past dinner. :)

Saran-wrapping it with no air bubbles in the fridge is good, but it will expand [rise] after a few... Small dough balls make into good snack bread and it will bake into mini-loaves as well... And we have made it into pizza dough after several days, because it gets pressed out of it's rising up...

Pizza is good food when done right - Extra cheese, anchovy fillets and fresh sliced tomato with basil is about the only way I really like anchovies...

Arsenios

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Great. Now I'm hungry for pizza.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Pizza...all day. Every day :D

The dough I use for my fermented pizza that sits in the fridge doesn't take much yeast so it slowly activates and doesn't explode. It has barley malt syrup in it to give it a nutty flavor.

The worst kind of pizza in my opinion is the New York floppy style. No thanks.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

The dough I use for my fermented pizza that sits in the fridge doesn't take much yeast so it slowly activates and doesn't explode. It has barley malt syrup in it to give it a nutty flavor.

It sounds like some quality control is in order here, as well as some taste testing. Please let me know where to report for duty :)

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
CH pizza party! Everyone put in your orders :D

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

I was going to mention malt... That is the key, and enough but not too much garlic in the sauce, with enough oregano, and a hint of anise... Sauce gets better with time, until it begins its way into experimental biology in the fridge... We used to get a 40 pound bag of Brazilian die-malt that was dark red - It did not take a lot to make the dough nutty flavored, and it browns better too... Now all that is available is a watered down version mixed with flour called "dough conditioner" which is a pale pink...

Arsenios

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
It sounds like some quality control is in order here, as well as some taste testing. Please let me know where to report for duty :)

It is easy to go overboard with salt... Which makes most commercial pizza inedible on a daily basis...

It is well balanced with moderate salt...

Rainbow-esque I say!

Arsenios

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It is easy to go overboard with salt... Which makes most commercial pizza inedible on a daily basis...

It is well balanced with moderate salt...

Rainbow-esque I say!

Arsenios

Everything commercial is overloaded in salt!! It's killing us.

Top Bottom