Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Payless is closing all its 2,100 US stores

Payless is going the way of Radio Shack, Gymboree and Toys R Us and closing its stores for good. I'm a little sad because that's where I would buy shoes if I went to the mall. The mall is far away now for me so I make it there maybe 4 times a year.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Payless is closing all its 2,100 US stores

Payless is going the way of Radio Shack, Gymboree and Toys R Us and closing its stores for good. I'm a little sad because that's where I would buy shoes if I went to the mall. The mall is far away now for me so I make it there maybe 4 times a year.

Some businesses are just not profitable. They can't continue unless they are a charity receiving donations.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Some businesses are just not profitable. They can't continue unless they are a charity receiving donations.

Some businesses have followed silly paths thanks to years of free money where, rather than making the operations profitable, they have engaged in all sorts of financial engineering based on what's little more than asset stripping.

Just wait until interest rates reach more sensible levels, I think there's going to be a much bigger shakedown than this.

Of course a problem with national chains is that if the parent company fails every single store closes even if individual stores were profitable. It's almost as if we'd be better off going back to smaller, independent businesses.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Some businesses have followed silly paths thanks to years of free money where, rather than making the operations profitable, they have engaged in all sorts of financial engineering based on what's little more than asset stripping.

Just wait until interest rates reach more sensible levels, I think there's going to be a much bigger shakedown than this.

Of course a problem with national chains is that if the parent company fails every single store closes even if individual stores were profitable. It's almost as if we'd be better off going back to smaller, independent businesses.
Personally I would welcome the little mom and pop stores I grew up with where you knew the people and the money stayed local. The Walmarts drove them all out of business. Same with gas stations the Sheetz and 7-11 and others ruined that as well.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I do not mind chain stores as long as they are well situated and have good access and reasonable prices. Small businesses are fine too as long as they have similar attributes.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Personally I would welcome the little mom and pop stores I grew up with where you knew the people and the money stayed local. The Walmarts drove them all out of business. Same with gas stations the Sheetz and 7-11 and others ruined that as well.

Except Walmart didn't drive them out of business, customers did. Nobody forced customers to go to Walmart. They just chose to do that to save a couple of bucks, and before long lost the option to shop at the local store.

These days it seems people expect Someone Else to solve the problems, not understanding that they (collectively) created the problem and they (also collectively) can solve the problem. If you don't want to see Walmart sprawling all over the place, don't shop there. It might mean you have to buy less stuff but if you want money to stay in the local community then shop in the local community. If people, en masse, stopped shopping at Walmart they'd eventually have to close their doors.

One thing I really miss about the local stores was when the owner and staff actually knew something about what they were selling. I like to be able to go to a hardware store and talk to someone who knows, then leave confident I bought the right tool for the job. Nowadays many big box stores seem to pay minimum wage and have little service other than a comprehensive return policy where you can take it back, even if you opened it, within 30 days. Which is great, but I'd rather talk to someone and get it right than guess at what I need, get it home to find it's wrong for the job (or it's broken or incomplete because there's little quality control these days) and have to make another round trip wasting my gas and my time when I really want to be getting on with the job at hand.

As a rule if I am in a hardware store and have to explain to the staff what the tool I want is, I'm probably not going to be a repeat customer. If the staff can't show any initiative at all, chances are I won't be back. I don't expect every member of staff to know every range, nor do I expect the trainee to be an expert - if I ask about something electrical I have no problem at all with a response "Plumbing is my thing, let me go find you the electrical guy". I do have a problem if the staff just says "I don't know" and doesn't even make an attempt to find someone else who could help.

Of course it's easier to demand that Something Be Done about the problem than to actually do something about it ourself. Maybe it's just too hard to wean ourselves off the piles of cheap Chinese-made junk.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I do not mind chain stores as long as they are well situated and have good access and reasonable prices. Small businesses are fine too as long as they have similar attributes.

I like to support small businesses, as long as they support me back.

At my local hardware store most things are a little more expensive than at the big-box store. But the local hardware store looks after me really well, the staff know me, they can answer my questions, and they are 2 miles away. The big box store is a 30 mile round trip. The fact the local store exists at all has a value to me because I don't want to be stuck with a 30-mile round trip if I suddenly find I have 5 screws and need 10.

On the other hand a local independent IT store I had the misfortune to encounter a while back lost not only my business but any chance of doing business with me ever, and also earned my recommendation that others avoid them too. When I was talking to them about a specific need I had I left with the distinct impression they had little interest beyond bumping up the price of the job. Maybe they assumed I was IT-ignorant (a bad mistake for an IT store to make), but even so the sense that a store is taking advantage of someone who doesn't understand their business isn't good for business. In the end I bought some parts and did the job myself for less than a quarter of what they quoted me.

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Locally our Payless stores were locating themselves within the Shopco facilities but now Shopco itself is going out of business too.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

The quality of shoes at Walmart are horrible. As someone who is a runner, I would never buy my shoes at Walmart.

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The quality of shoes at Walmart are horrible. As someone who is a runner, I would never buy my shoes at Walmart.

Amen, I wouldn’t even be able to finish my shift at work in cheap shoes.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Isn't it the case that WalMart sells Reeboks and New Balance, etc. like everyone else does?

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes

Amen, I wouldn’t even be able to finish my shift at work in cheap shoes.

See, that all depends. Walmart is the only place I can find "Dr. Scholls" brand in Wide fit. They''ll last me a good couple of years for work. I recently bought a "new" pair after the last ones gave out after about five years. Sure, runners (tennis shoes) aren't the strong suit, and at Walmart I wouldn't expect it; but for me there are no other options
And would I like to support the local guys? Sure. And some places I do - I can find cheaper, better quality meats and produce with the local butcher and produce shops, but the regional grocery chains are outrageous.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Isn't it the case that WalMart sells Reeboks and New Balance, etc. like everyone else does?

My local Walmart does not carry those brands.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I buy sweatpants from Walmart because they are cheap enough to be disposable which is handy when I want something to wear when working and don't want to worry about whether it gets covered in dirt/foam/sealant/whatever.

Technically speaking my wife buys me sweatpants from Walmart. If I can avoid it I don't go there at all. I hate the place.

Top Bottom