Yes

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
The emergency declaration, according to White House officials, enables the president to divert $3.6 billion from military construction projects to the wall.
Our military budget is far greater than the rest of the world. The claim is the wall is for defense. I have no problem in choosing to fund this project. I say we stop giving money to other nations for war projects and spend it in the US. The money spent allows construction by US citizens that will spend their hard earned paychecks in the US.
I honestly find the bickering about this to be like two neighbors fighting over how to keep cats out of the yard. One wants a fence, the other wants somebody else to walk the property line and spray water at any cat coming into the yard. Which one will work?

JRT

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
No
This is not a national emergency --- far from it. There are real far more important emergencies, that should be addressed but "the man who would be king" made a stupid promise to get votes and in his monumental ego he cannot back down.

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Our military budget is far greater than the rest of the world. The claim is the wall is for defense. I have no problem in choosing to fund this project. I say we stop giving money to other nations for war projects and spend it in the US. The money spent allows construction by US citizens that will spend their hard earned paychecks in the US.
I honestly find the bickering about this to be like two neighbors fighting over how to keep cats out of the yard. One wants a fence, the other wants somebody else to walk the property line and spray water at any cat coming into the yard. Which one will work?

i agree with what you say.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It seems to qualify as a national emergency, all right; but as for how things will work out...this one looks very hard to predict.

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

Opposition to the wall is pure hate-filled spite politics by Democratic leadership...

Arsenios

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
This is not a national emergency
Criminal gangs, human trafficking, heroin smuggling across the Mexican border is just business as usual?

Long term problem ignored for a long time, yes...

It needs to be stopped now...

Arsenios

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Why is it an emergency today but not in 2017 when Donald could have done something about it having both houses of congress dominated by the republican party? And even if his party didn't support him why did he not call a state of emergency as soon as he took office so he could fund "the wall"?

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The coup-plotters like to complain that the president is a failure because he hasn't accomplished anything...and also that he is a failure because he hasn't accomplished everything. Whatever sounds best at the moment.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Criminal gangs, human trafficking, heroin smuggling across the Mexican border is just business as usual?

Long term problem ignored for a long time, yes...

It needs to be stopped now...

Arsenios

The trouble is that criminal gangs shipping drugs and slaves across the border are unlikely to be stopped by a wall. They'll still dig tunnels and use light aircraft.

I agree 100% with deporting illegal immigrants. I have very mixed views on the so-called Dreamers - although the children didn't do anything wrong if they were brought here illegally by their parents there has to come a point where we say the children don't necessarily get to benefit from the crimes of their parents. If little Jimmy lived a very luxurious lifestyle and, at the ripe old age of 8, really didn't know any different very few people would insist he continue his life of opulence if it transpired his father was a big-time criminal and had his assets seized. Little Jimmy didn't do anything wrong, he just doesn't get to continue to enjoy the benefits of crime.

My concern about a wall would be the cost of building it, the cost of maintaining it, and the relative lack of effectiveness against people with aircraft and digging machines to circumvent it. The trouble is it seems too many people benefit from illegals being in the country, not least because if they are willing to work for slave wages while keeping their heads down and not rocking the boat for fear of deportation they keep the cost of all sorts of things down.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
The trouble is that criminal gangs shipping drugs and slaves across the border are unlikely to be stopped by a wall. They'll still dig tunnels and use light aircraft.

I agree 100% with deporting illegal immigrants. I have very mixed views on the so-called Dreamers - although the children didn't do anything wrong if they were brought here illegally by their parents there has to come a point where we say the children don't necessarily get to benefit from the crimes of their parents. If little Jimmy lived a very luxurious lifestyle and, at the ripe old age of 8, really didn't know any different very few people would insist he continue his life of opulence if it transpired his father was a big-time criminal and had his assets seized. Little Jimmy didn't do anything wrong, he just doesn't get to continue to enjoy the benefits of crime.

My concern about a wall would be the cost of building it, the cost of maintaining it, and the relative lack of effectiveness against people with aircraft and digging machines to circumvent it. The trouble is it seems too many people benefit from illegals being in the country, not least because if they are willing to work for slave wages while keeping their heads down and not rocking the boat for fear of deportation they keep the cost of all sorts of things down.
The wall is already proving to us it works. Jim Acosta of all people basically made a fool of himself by going to the wall (that has already begun, partially built) and declaring "see there are no illegal immigrants storming the wall or trying to cross over"... well duh!
As for tunnels, I imagine it takes longer to dig a tunnel spanning hundreds of miles than to cross over a border and bribe the patrol with drug money, plus once we find one it will be the end of that tunnel and they will have to start all over.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I don't think it is a national emergency, but I think he is actually trying to keep a campaign promise so that is good. This will go to the courts to decide now.

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Why is it an emergency today but not in 2017 when Donald could have done something about it having both houses of congress dominated by the republican party? And even if his party didn't support him why did he not call a state of emergency as soon as he took office so he could fund "the wall"?

Exactly. It would be as if when the U.S. was hit by 9/11 but we put off reacting to it for two years.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I thought Trump was giving both parties a chance at agreeing to build the wall when he first got into office...they failed at coming to that agreement obviously. It's probably really odd that former presidents were for the wall in their careers as well as some congressmen and now they're fighting it.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Exactly. It would be as if when the U.S. was hit by 9/11 but we put off reacting to it for two years.

I never can figure why people think that doing the right thing is supposed to be wrong simply because it wasn't done earlier. Today is today and the right thing is still right to do.

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Definition of emergency,

a sudden, urgent, usually unexpected occurrence or occasion requiring immediate action.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It meets that definition, all right. :)

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
hmm apprehensions a t a 20 year low and even INS says they dont need the wall, not my definition of an emergency

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

One step at a time...

A.

Top Bottom