Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
There are some denominations that discourage and even forbid women to wear pants/trousers. I've heard their reasoning is because of the angels needing to tell men and women apart. Is there more to this?

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
There are some denominations that discourage and even forbid women to wear pants/trousers. I've heard their reasoning is because of the angels needing to tell men and women apart. Is there more to this?

Amazing.... just amazing...

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
lol never heard that before. There are some churches that don't want women wearing pants such as Pentecostal but I forgot why.

JRT

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
No

JRT

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
No
What the genders wear or don't wear is quite culturally determined. However, there are some who seem to be convinced that ancient customs are set in stone for all time.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
lol never heard that before. There are some churches that don't want women wearing pants such as Pentecostal but I forgot why.

Where I used to live the Baptist women could not wear pants. I can't remember about the Jehovah Witness women?

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Where I used to live the Baptist women could not wear pants. I can't remember about the Jehovah Witness women?
Something about being modest although the bible specifies that the women not flaunt their economic wealth by wearing excessive jewelry, it had nothing to do with make up or pants (a rather recent invention)... Is cutting your hair a sign of wealth for women? but man should cut his hair? [emoji14]

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Deut 22:5 says something about women not wearing clothing that men wear. This was the first thought that came to mind.

New International Version
A woman must not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing, for the LORD your God detests anyone who does this.

New Living Translation
"A woman must not put on men's clothing, and a man must not wear women's clothing. Anyone who does this is detestable in the sight of the LORD your God.

English Standard Version
“A woman shall not wear a man’s garment, nor shall a man put on a woman’s cloak, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the LORD your God.

Berean Study Bible
A woman must not wear men’s clothing, and a man must not wear women’s clothing, for whoever does these things is detestable to the LORD your God

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Deu 22:5 A woman must not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing, for the LORD your God detests anyone who does this.

I'd have thought if people really want to live by the detailed OT law it would make sense to appeal to Scripture rather than silly ideas about angels being unable to tell men from women unless men wear pants and women wear flowery dresses. Most humans can do it, I imagine angels can too.

Needless to say this is another example where "context, context, context" is a key approach to reading things but folks who want to pick a verse out of the OT and put it on a pedestal aren't known for that line of thinking.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Deut 22:5 says something about women not wearing clothing that men wear. This was the first thought that came to mind.

New International Version
A woman must not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing, for the LORD your God detests anyone who does this.

New Living Translation
"A woman must not put on men's clothing, and a man must not wear women's clothing. Anyone who does this is detestable in the sight of the LORD your God.

English Standard Version
“A woman shall not wear a man’s garment, nor shall a man put on a woman’s cloak, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the LORD your God.

Berean Study Bible
A woman must not wear men’s clothing, and a man must not wear women’s clothing, for whoever does these things is detestable to the LORD your God

Ah. Didn't know about that verse. Thanks.

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
==============================================================================================

And here was I thinking the thread was about women being bossy.

==============================================================================================

Deuteronomy 22:5 is referring to cross dressing:
The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

It ties in with Leviticus 18:22:
Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

Deuteronomy 22:5 also covers the inappropriateness of women lying with women.

Jerlene

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I haven't heard of this. This is such an archaic way of thinking but sadly, it still applies in a lot of places all over the world. Fortunately, I'm from America and it doesn't apply here. In the land of the free and the home of the brave, you'll find women wearing men's clothing and men wearing women's clothing almost everywhere you go. Sure, you have your bigots, racists, prejudiced people, but I think we've progressed far beyond this bible verse.

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
If a man is being bossed by a woman, then probably the woman doesn't respect him. Also, I'm sure the opposite would be true. A man who knows his wife sleeps around on him - is going to be rightfully view the woman as a dog. Well, I mean, unless it's consensual or something.

OK, well, I used to be a teacher - and that scenario is also true with kids. Kids respect someone who deserves respect, otherwise they dog that person.

Last edited:

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Post #12 [emphasis added]:
I haven't heard of this. This is such an archaic way of thinking but sadly, it still applies in a lot of places all over the world. Fortunately, I'm from America and it doesn't apply here. In the land of the free and the home of the brave, you'll find women wearing men's clothing and men wearing women's clothing almost everywhere you go. Sure, you have your bigots, racists, prejudiced people, but I think we've progressed far beyond this bible verse.

I guess it depends on whether or not a person regards the Bible as God’s revelation to us.

(If not, then the truth must lie outside of Christianity. If the Bible cannot be considered authoritative, then we should be looking elsewhere, as opposed to believing what can only be described as the fanciful deliberations (or accidentals) of men’s (and women’s) minds.)

If we consider the following statements, an important and reasonable question emerges.

1 Corinthians 6:9,10:
9 Do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit [the] kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor abusers, nor homosexuals,
10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit [the] kingdom of God.

Question: Is God a bigot? Another one: Is the Creator prejudiced? A third: Does God even exist?

If God exists, then He has the authority to set the rules. If He chose to communicate with Mankind, then for consistency, there must be some internally consistent Holy Book somewhere that should be embraced.

If someone considers that to be the Bible, then that person person should (unlike the bickering churches of Christendom) take it as God’s consistent message to us, and not go at it with yellow and black markers.

And could there be a strong but normally overlooked reason for God (if He exists) to want men and women to stick to their assigned roles? (If the Bible is a communication to us, that is.) Come on CH members. What could that strong but normally overlooked reason be?

The above comments are offered as general in nature, and not a shot at the Author of Post #12, to whom I extend a warm welcome.

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

You are right -

These days of gender identity politics, I would be more concerned about what is being worn UNDER those women's pants!

Jes' sayin'!!! :)

Arsenios

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
The EOC encourages women to dress as women, and the men as men...

We encourage women to cover their hair with scarves...

And men to not cover their heads in Church...

And we encourage women to wear long dresses and long sleeve blouses...

We encourage modest dress in any event...

If you want to parade your 350 pounds of male flesh into Church wearing Bermuda shorts and a cowboy hat and boots with a three button Hawaiian flower print shirt...

Or its female counterpart...

Or jock strap and shower shoes...

Well...

Er....

I mean...

You know what I mean??

Arsenios

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Women can wear pants, just not men's pant, and vice versa.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Women can wear pants, just not men's pant, and vice versa.

What's the difference between men's pants and women's pants? Serious question - some women I know wear what are notionally "men's" jeans because they find they fit better.

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What's the difference between men's pants and women's pants? Serious question - some women I know wear what are notionally "men's" jeans because they find they fit better.

There are some denominations that say women can't wear pants at all because they claim pants in general are men's clothing. But, there is a different cut and style of pants that are made for men than it is for women.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
There are some denominations that say women can't wear pants at all because they claim pants in general are men's clothing. But, there is a different cut and style of pants that are made for men than it is for women.

Some denominations saying it doesn't mean there's any Scriptural basis for it. Does it not seem silly to assume that women should wear clothes that don't fit very well just because the ones that do fit well are marketed primarily to men? Is it somehow sinful to wear clothes that fit well just because someone in a marketing department somewhere decided they were intended for someone else?

Top Bottom