Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I've seen many Christians toss this verse at other Christians when they want to put them down. Do you think it's acceptable to infer that they're the unbelieving pigs?

Matthew 7:6

"Do not give to dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces."

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I've seen many Christians toss this verse at other Christians when they want to put them down. Do you think it's acceptable to infer that they're the unbelieving pigs?

Matthew 7:6

"Do not give to dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces."
yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table. Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt.
:)

Last edited:

ValleyGal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
I don't think it's ever okay to infer that anyone is a pig, a dog, or an unbeliever. Personally I find it quite insulting. The only time it would be okay (for me, at least) is if I were the one calling myself a pig or dog (I would not call myself an unbeliever). In Andrew's verse, I would be the one who is the dog taking scraps from Jesus' table...

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Many times I’ve recognized what I was sharing was falling on deaf ears but its never helped to share that verse even though it was applicable.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think the word picture here is important rather than singling out that it is dogs or pigs that is spoken of. You wouldn't throw pearls to pigs.
To me, what it says that sometimes we may want to offer something to a person that they are not in a position to receive. Another word picture would be
"Don't give a t-bone steak to an infant." The infant is in no place to receive it.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think the word picture here is important rather than singling out that it is dogs or pigs that is spoken of. You wouldn't throw pearls to pigs.
To me, what it says that sometimes we may want to offer something to a person that they are not in a position to receive. Another word picture would be
"Don't give a t-bone steak to an infant." The infant is in no place to receive it.

But do you think it's okay to say it when speaking directly (or typing online) to another Christian?

ValleyGal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes

Wow. This just shed light on about half my life. Thanks for the new perspective!

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Once you’ve insulted the other person coming to any sort of agreement is slim to none.

Reactions: JRT

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
But do you think it's okay to say it when speaking directly (or typing online) to another Christian?

No, not really. But don't people take scripture all the time out of context to justify their own problems or weaknesses. It's like a Christian who drinks or sleeps around using the "don't judge" verse in scripture. When in reality we have to call a sin a sin.

JRT

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
No

Your analogy fails when we recall that in Jewish culture both pigs and dogs were considered unclean.

ValleyGal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
No, not really. But don't people take scripture all the time out of context to justify their own problems or weaknesses. It's like a Christian who drinks or sleeps around using the "don't judge" verse in scripture. When in reality we have to call a sin a sin.
While it's okay to call sin a sin, it's not okay to do it using insults or judgemental tones. Love must always be our motivator. It is possible to use tough love without calling someone names - or even insinuating that someone is a . As well, it is never for self-gain, but rather to lead people to repentance in order for their relationship with God to become right again. It seems to me that insinuating someone is a dog or pig means the one doing the insulting has a personal stake in the outcome, and is doing it out of their own emotional response rather than out of love for the soul of the other.

Top Bottom