Cashless Society?

Wilhemena

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I am old school and cash seems safer than technology for old timers such as myself. I have a credit card but do not utilize it any more than I have to and if shoppers behind me don't like my slow cash handling they can jump to another checkout line.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Tango, that's a good idea to get it set up for email notifications. I'll see if they will do that for me. Even though I cut the limit in half, I will still likely use less than a third of it every month. I don't spend much.

Lamb, that happened with me and a debit card. Someone got the information from a card reader at my usual gas station. They made a card, sold it, and my whole account was emptied. Whoever got it, spent up to $900 at a time, 3-4 times a day at Wal Mart. They went to about 5 restaurants in a day and spent upward of $1000 on the most expensive day, just at the restaurants. This was a long time ago, before financial institutions started being more sympathetic to this kind of issue, so I was on the hook for all purchases except those that could be proven when I was not even in the same province. In all, they stole about $35,000. They had purchased a cell phone and made prank calls to 911, too. Was quite the shock when I got phone calls and visits from police. Scary time for me... I was really fortunate that it was only my bank card, though, and not my social insurance number. That would have truly been a nightmare!

In days gone by it was much harder to convince a bank that something had failed at their end. I remember hearing a story about a guy who kept getting phantom ATM withdrawals and the bank insisted he must have made them. In the end he put his card in an envelope in front of his lawyer, sealed the envelope, signed across the seal, and left the card with his lawyer. He still got phantom withdrawals but the bank decided not to accuse the lawyer of making them. I think they ended up returning his money.

JSales

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I was hoping by cashless society you meant everything is free :big-eyes:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
In days gone by it was much harder to convince a bank that something had failed at their end. I remember hearing a story about a guy who kept getting phantom ATM withdrawals and the bank insisted he must have made them. In the end he put his card in an envelope in front of his lawyer, sealed the envelope, signed across the seal, and left the card with his lawyer. He still got phantom withdrawals but the bank decided not to accuse the lawyer of making them. I think they ended up returning his money.

Didn't they have cameras at the ATM? Every one I've been to had a camera.

We used to have a car with automated seat belts. Have you seen them? I don't know if they even make them anymore. Once you get inside and shut the door the seat belt would automatically go across your body so you wouldn't have to buckle yourself in. When you open the door, the seat belt came across toward the door to let you out. One time my husband went to the ATM but wasn't pulled up close enough with the car so he opened the door...and the seat belt just about ripped his head off! :rofl3: I really wanted to call the bank to get the camera footage for that one.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I was hoping by cashless society you meant everything is free :big-eyes:

Haven't you heard...nothing in life is free!

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Didn't they have cameras at the ATM? Every one I've been to had a camera.

We used to have a car with automated seat belts. Have you seen them? I don't know if they even make them anymore. Once you get inside and shut the door the seat belt would automatically go across your body so you wouldn't have to buckle yourself in. When you open the door, the seat belt came across toward the door to let you out. One time my husband went to the ATM but wasn't pulled up close enough with the car so he opened the door...and the seat belt just about ripped his head off! :rofl3: I really wanted to call the bank to get the camera footage for that one.

I can't say I've ever noticed cameras at ATMs but then I'm not usually looking for them. The trouble is if the bank claims you "used an ATM" and the evidence is the withdrawal they can't sensibly check the footage from every single ATM, especially if the disputed transaction didn't show up for a while. The biggest problems, in the UK at least, were long before there was such a thing as internet banking, so you wouldn't notice a rogue transaction until the statement arrived. And if your bank was one that only sent a statement every three months you were in for a real treat if there were rogue transactions dating back 10 weeks or so. And of course that made it easier for the bank to claim you did it because it's easy to forget whether you actually took a small amount out of your account two months back.

I think I only saw one car with seatbelts like you describe. It was on a visit to the US in the 1990s. I don't think we ever had those in the UK. They seemed like a good idea.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Oops I was going to pot a video of an automated seatbelt in use until the end where there was profanity! Nope.

Top Bottom