Have blackface accusations gone too far?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Gucci discontinued a sweater because Twitter fans cried that a sweater resembled blackface. https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/07/us/gucci-blackface-sweater/index.html

Are people getting too offended or is this justified?

190207154035-gucci-blackface-exlarge-169.jpg

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Like many things it has gone to far, I think it is rediculous to hold people accountable for what happened 30 or 40 years ago. I would rather know their views now rather than what they did in college. It is the mans character and present beliefs that should matter notr something that was done many years ago. How many could stand up to this kind of scrutiny and say they have never done something that they are ashamed of or embarrassed by that given the present climate could shipwreck your life even though that is not the same person you are.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Its ok for liberal comics to do it
Jimmy Kimmel, Sarah Silverman, Jimmy Fallon
dae93ea37f7a54075cfb199adecfb671.jpg

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Gucci discontinued a sweater because Twitter fans cried that a sweater resembled blackface. https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/07/us/gucci-blackface-sweater/index.html

Are people getting too offended or is this justified?

It really has gone far beyond pathetic lately.

First we had endless fussing over whether Brett Kavanaugh indulged in drunken gropings as a high school kid with endless allegations and counter-allegations with apparently little to no proof of anything. Now we've got fussing over whether a state governor is fit for purpose because of something he did as a high school kid.

In this age of weaponized social media the chances are it won't be long before nobody is fit to hold any office because most of us have done something, at some point in our lives, that someone could seize on as "proof" that we were one of the hated classes of -ists or -phobics. Most of us grow up a bit between the ages of 17-18 and adulthood in a meaningful sense, and ideas we may have genuinely held as teenagers evolve and fall away.

It does seem ironic that the side that claims it supports tolerance and inclusivity seems to be endlessly looking for reasons, however dated, to vilify and exclude people.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It's the hypocrisy that drives me crazy....

The Libs (and their yes-men, the Press) INSIST that Bill Clinton did NOTHING wrong, nothing impeachable, nothing suggesting being disqualified for the office of PRESIDENT by abusing a young female intern, right in the Oval Office, as an adult, while PRESIDENT... nope.... Hillary insisted women lie about this stuff... the press insisted all this is entirely irrelevant to a persons qualifications to be PRESIDENT.... the Republicans need to stop thinking about sex. THEN we have several Supreme Court nominees by Republicans.... the last case, he was accused (with NOTHING to support it) that decades ago, when he was in high school, and at a party (to which many testified he wasn't even there), supposedly abused a girl also a teen.... and this is HORRIBLE!!! Detestable! This man should be shot! And this happens over and over..... At one point, Hillary throws the accuser under the bus, insisting "women lie about this stuff" and then insisting we must believe women why they accuse men of such.

Frankly, I'd be more than willing to largely dismiss what stupid teens did decades ago.... teens are stupid. I'd be less likely to dismiss what a 26 year old man in his last year of med school did - and it's objectively documented that he did it. I'd be more willing to dismiss something SUPPOSEDLY someone did decades ago to which there is no evidence, it seems totally out of their character and is entirely unvarified than I am the President of the United States who eventually ADMITTED he did it, admitted he lied under oath about it (a felony) a few months ago, in the Oval Office. I'd be more willing to excuse a youth in the South 50 years ago saying/doing some racist things than someone last month.

There is so much politics.... so much hypocrisy....

What BOTHERS me about this Democrat governor of Virginia is his stance that the "right to abortion" extends AFTER the baby is born. THAT horrible position is what should be causing us to repudiate him.

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
"Let the wicked fall into their own nets..."

Criminalizing political differences has finally come home to roost...

This one does not conceal all that easily...

Arsenios

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
What BOTHERS me about this Democrat governor of Virginia is his stance that
the "right to abortion" extends AFTER the baby is born.

Ancient Greeks would put them out on the rocks to die of exposure...

Welcome to pagan ways of life and death...

American Christianity needs rebirth...

Arsenios

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Ancient Greeks would put them out on the rocks to die of exposure...

Welcome to pagan ways of life and death...

American Christianity needs rebirth...

Arsenios

Other peoples gave their children to Molech. And we call it progress to do more or less the same today.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
My two cents - yes it's offensive, and we've lost touch with being culturally aware as a society

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
I don't think people should be punished for dumb pranks of the past - but obviously, due to the present culture - making blackface is as acceptable as farting in a doctor's office - so should be avoided.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My two cents - yes it's offensive, and we've lost touch with being culturally aware as a society

It is offensive now, but judging people by comparing their actions of 30+ years ago to acceptable standards of today is absurd. I suspect very few of us have done nothing in our past that would be considered offensive by modern standards.

Top Bottom