Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
"This idea of being “in Christ” is arguably one of the most potent—and perplexing—aspects of Paul’s letters.

Although we tend to speak of salvation as “Jesus in my heart” (a phrase used only one time in the Bible—Eph. 3:17) or as “Christ in me” (which is mentioned five times in the Bible—2 Cor. 13:5, Rom. 8:10, Gal. 4:19, Gal. 2:20, Col. 1:27), Paul says something far more often: He uses the phrase “in Christ” 165 times. The Bible’s favorite way of describing our salvation is one we rarely use. For Paul, salvation was simple: It was being joined to Jesus Christ.

When I first began to study Paul, I glossed over this description and assumed it was just another way of talking about what Jesus did for me on the cross. But the more I read Scripture, the more I realized that Paul was actually talking about being joined to Jesus. As John Calvin writes, “But we do not regard Christ as outside of and distant from us, in such a way that His righteousness is imputed to us in mechanical fashion, but we put Him on and are made members of His body, and He has deemed us worthy to be united with him."

the whole article from christianity today is here
https://www.christianitytoday.com/w...iption-salvation-is-phrase-we-rarely-use.html

Is this author correct. That this may be the most potent aspects of Paul's letters?
What does being "in Christ" mean to you?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I get an image in my head of being a part of the one body whenever I hear "in Christ".

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Paul expresses it well in Ephesians 2.
Ephesians 2:4-7
But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.
By faith we recognize our position before God. God the Father looks upon Jesus and see's us in Christ. If God saw us apart from Christ, God would see us as filthy rags. We just have NO self-righteousness we can point to. We have utterly fallen short. But...in Christ we are fully atoned and made holy before God our judge.
To be "in Christ" is to be seated before God and be seen as holy and righteous. What an AMAZING GRACE that is!!!

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
"This idea of being “in Christ” is arguably one of the most potent—and perplexing—aspects of Paul’s letters....
He uses the phrase “in Christ” 165 times.

Indeed those who are saved are "in Christ"...

And Paul further tells us how we become "in Christ"...

Rom 6:3
Know ye not, that
as many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ
were baptized into his death?

We are IN Christ because we have been Baptized INTO Christ...

The Bible’s favorite way of describing our salvation is one we rarely use.

Indeed -

And to the utter shame of those who rarely use it...

The Ekklesia is the Body of Christ into Which we are Baptized BY Christ THROUGH the hands of Christ's Servants...

Arsenios

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Indeed those who are saved are "in Christ"...

And Paul further tells us how we become "in Christ"...

Rom 6:3
Know ye not, that
as many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ
were baptized into his death?

We are IN Christ because we have been Baptized INTO Christ...

Indeed -

And to the utter shame of those who rarely use it...

The Ekklesia is the Body of Christ into Which we are Baptized BY Christ THROUGH the hands of Christ's Servants...

Arsenios
The Spirit of God does a wonderful job of immersing (baptizing) us into Christ so that we are entirely immersed into Him.
Water baptism symbolizes that great work of the Spirit.
I sure wish you would give up your belief in a magical water baptism that saves.

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
The Spirit of God does a wonderful job of immersing (baptizing) us into Christ so that we are entirely immersed into Him.
Water baptism symbolizes that great work of the Spirit.
I sure wish you would give up your belief in a magical water baptism that saves.

Act 10:47
Can any man forbid the Water,
that these should not be Baptized,
who have received the Holy Spirit
as well as we?

Why do they need Baptism if they are already Baptized?

What is the Biblical point of the Water?

Arsenios

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Act 10:47
Can any man forbid the Water,
that these should not be Baptized,
who have received the Holy Spirit
as well as we?

Why do they need Baptism if they are already Baptized?

What is the Biblical point of the Water?

Arsenios
To symbolize what the Spirit had just done. It is a public indication to the pagan world that believers are no longer citizens of this world, but are now citizens of the Kingdom of God.

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
To symbolize what the Spirit had just done.

The Bible says we are Baptized INTO Christ, and that Christ was Baptized in the Jordan's waters...

Where does it say Baptism is symbolic of the deeds of the Holy Spirit already performed...?

It is a public indication to the pagan world that believers are no longer citizens of this world,
but are now citizens of the Kingdom of God.

And where in the Bible is this false belief found?

Arsenios

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
The Bible says we are Baptized INTO Christ, and that Christ was Baptized in the Jordan's waters...

Where does it say Baptism is symbolic of the deeds of the Holy Spirit already performed...?

And where in the Bible is this false belief found?

Arsenios
Arsenios, I have shared the scriptures with you before. You are just stuck in your tradition so that you cannot imagine any other baptism except water baptism. Therefore you turn water into magic.

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Arsenios, I have shared the scriptures with you before. You are just stuck in your tradition so that you cannot imagine any other baptism except water baptism. Therefore you turn water into magic.

CHRIST commanded the Apostles to disciple all the nations, baptizing them...

YOU say the Holy Spirit does the baptizing...

Forgive me if I take Christ's word and not your opinion...

Arsenios

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married

Arsenios
This has already been explained in another topic. Let's stay on topic. I know you cannot accept the fullness of scripture on this issue.

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
I used this quote on another thread, but it would seem to be very appropriate here...

2Co 6:1-10
We then, as workers together with Him, beseech you also that ye receive not the grace of God in vain.
(For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)
Giving no offence in any thing, that the ministry be not blamed:
But in all things approving ourselves as the ministers of God, in much patience, in afflictions, in necessities, in distresses,
In stripes, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labours, in watchings, in fastings;
By pureness, by knowledge, by longsuffering, by kindness, by the Holy Ghost, by love unfeigned,
By the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armour of righteousness on the right hand and on the left,
By honour and dishonour, by evil report and good report: as deceivers, and yet true;
As unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and, behold, we live; as chastened, and not killed;
As sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things.

Is Paul speaking Spiritually here?

What does he mean: "As deceivers yet true"?

Or "As dying, and behold we live"?

How can you possess what you do not have?

Arsenios

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I used this quote on another thread, but it would seem to be very appropriate here...

We then, as workers together with Him, beseech you also that ye receive not the grace of God in vain.
(For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)
But in all things approving ourselves as the ministers of God, in much patience, in afflictions, in necessities, in distresses,
In stripes, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labours, in watchings, in fastings;
By pureness, by knowledge, by longsuffering, by kindness, by the Holy Ghost, by love unfeigned,
By the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armour of righteousness on the right hand and on the left,
By honour and dishonour, by evil report and good report: as deceivers, and yet true;
As unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and, behold, we live; as chastened, and not killed;
As sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things.

Arsenios

Thayer said:
ὡς (Treg. (by mistake) in Matthew 24:38 ὡς; cf. Winers Grammar, 462 (431); Chandler § 934, and references in Ebeling, Lex. Homer, under the word, p. 494b bottom), an adverbial form of the relative pronoun ὅς, ἡ, ὁ which is used in comparison, as, like as, even as, according as, in the same manner as, etc. (German wie); but it also assumes the nature of a conjunction, of time, of purpose, and of consequence. On its use in the Greek writings cf. Klotz ad Devar. 2:2, chapter xxxv., p. 756ff; (Liddell and Scott, under the word).
I. ὡς as an adverb of comparison;
1. It answers to some demonstrative word (οὕτως, or the like), either in the same clause or in another member of the same sentence (cf. Winer's Grammar, § 53, 5): [not this]
2. ὡς with the word or words forming the comparison is so subjoined to a preceding verb that οὕτως must be mentally inserted before the same. When thus used ὡς refers [this]
a. to the manner ('form') of the action expressed by the finite verb, and is equivalent to in the same manner as, after the fashion of; it is joined in this way to the subject (nominative) of the verb: [not this]
b. ὡς joined to a verb makes reference to the 'substance' of the act expressed by the verb, i. e. the action designated by the verb is itself said to be done ὡς, in like manner (just) as, something else: [not this]
c. ὡς makes reference to similarity or equality, in such expressions as εἶναι ὡς τινα, i. e. 'to be like' or 'equal to' one, [not this]
d. ὡς so makes reference to the quality of a person, thing, or action, as to be equivalent to such as, exactly like, as it were. German als; and [this]
α. to a quality which really belongs to the person or thing: [not this]

[THIS:] β. to a quality which is supposed, pretended, reigned, assumed: ὡς ἁμαρτωλός κρίνομαι, Romans 3:7; ὡς πονηρόν, Luke 6:22; add, 1 Corinthians 4:7; 1 Corinthians 8:7; 2 Corinthians 6:8-10; 2 Corinthians 11:15; 2 Corinthians 13:7; 1 Peter 2:12; frequently it can be rendered as if, as though, Acts 3:12; Acts 23:15, 20; Acts 27:30; 1 Corinthians 5:3; 2 Corinthians 10:14; 2 Corinthians 11:17; Colossians 2:20; Hebrews 11:27; Hebrews 13:3; ἐπιστολῆς ὡς δἰ ἡμῶν, namely, γεγραμμενης, 2 Thessalonians 2:2.

Therefore ...
[2Co 6:8 NKJV] 8 by honor and dishonor, by evil report and good report; as deceivers, and [yet] true;

can also be rendered as ...
[2Co 6:8 NLT] 8 We serve God whether people honor us or despise us, whether they slander us or praise us. We are honest, but they call us impostors.
[2Co 6:8 NIV] 8 through glory and dishonor, bad report and good report; genuine, yet regarded as impostors;
[2Co 6:8 ESV] 8 through honor and dishonor, through slander and praise. We are treated as impostors, and yet are true;
[2Co 6:8 CSB] 8 through glory and dishonor, through slander and good report; regarded as deceivers, yet true;
[2Co 6:8 NASB] 8 by glory and dishonor, by evil report and good report; [regarded] as deceivers and yet true;
[2Co 6:8 NET] 8 through glory and dishonor, through slander and praise; regarded as impostors, and yet true;
[2Co 6:8 RSV] 8 in honor and dishonor, in ill repute and good repute. We are treated as impostors, and yet are true;

BENGEL remarks "Through glory and dishonor (disgrace)," namely, from those in authority, and accruing to us present. "By," or "through evil report and good report," from the multitude, and affecting us absent.

FAUSSET remarks "Regarded 'as deceivers' by those who, not knowing ( 2Cr 6:9 ), dishonor and give us an evil report; 'as true,' by those who 'know' ( 2Cr 6:9 ) us in the real 'glory' of our ministry. In proportion as one has more or less of glory and good report, in that degree has he more or less of dishonor and evil report."

GAUSSEN remarks "The apostles combine the highest offices with the humblest exterior: as everything in the Church was to be cast in the mould of death and resurrection, the cardinal principle throughout Christianity."

DAVID GUZIK COMMENTARY:
By honor and dishonor, by evil report and good report; as deceivers, and yet true; as unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and behold we live; as chastened, and yet not killed; as sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things. In concluding his resume’, Paul will list his references, describing both what the world thought of him and what God thought of him.
i. The world (including the worldly Corinthian Christians) described Paul with words like: dishonor... evil report... deceivers... unknown... dying... chastened... sorrowful... poor... having nothing.
ii. In His reference, God described Paul with words like: honor... good report... true... well known... behold we live... not killed... always rejoicing... making many rich... possessing all things.
iii. Which description was true – the world’s or God’s? 2 Corinthians 4:18 gives the answer. According to the things which are seen, the world’s estimation was correct. According to the things which are not seen, God’s estimation was correct. Which estimation is more important to you?

MATTHEW HENRY COMMENTARY:
By a due temper and behaviour under all the variety of conditions in this world, v. 8-10. We must expect to meet with many alterations of our circumstances and conditions in this world; and it will be a great evidence of our integrity if we preserve a right temper of mind, and duly behave ourselves, under them all. The apostles met with honour and dishonour, good report and evil report: good men in this world must expect to meet with some dishonour and reproaches, to balance their honour and esteem; and we stand in need of the grace of God to arm us against the temptations of honour on the one hand, so as to bear good report without pride, and of dishonour on the other hand, so as to bear reproaches without impatience or recrimination. It should seem that persons differently represented the apostles in their reports; that some represented them as the best, and others as the worst, of men: by some they were counted deceivers, and run down as such; by others as true, preaching the gospel of truth, and men who were true to the trust reposed in them. They were slighted by the men of the world as unknown, men of no figure or account, not worth taking notice of; yet in all the churches of Christ they were well known, and of great account: they were looked upon as dying, being killed all the day long, and their interest was thought to be a dying interest; "and yet behold,' says the apostle, "we live, and live comfortably, and bear up cheerfully under all our hardships, and go on conquering and to conquer.' They were chastened, and often fell under the lash of the law, yet not killed: and though it was thought that they were sorrowful, a company of mopish and melancholy men, always sighing and mourning, yet they were always rejoicing in God, and had the greatest reason to rejoice always. They were despised as poor, upon the account of their poverty in this world; and yet they made many rich, by preaching the unsearchable riches of Christ. They were thought to have nothing, and silver and gold they had none, houses and lands they had none; yet they possessed all things: they had nothing in this world, but they had a treasure in heaven. Their effects lay in another country, in another world. They had nothing in themselves, but possessed all things in Christ. Such a paradox is a Christian's life, and through such a variety of conditions and reports lies our way to heaven; and we should be careful in all these things to approve ourselves to God.

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Thayer said:
ὡς (Treg. (by mistake) in Matthew 24:38 ὡς; cf. Winers Grammar, 462 (431); Chandler § 934, and references in Ebeling, Lex. Homer, under the word, p. 494b bottom), an adverbial form of the relative pronoun ὅς, ἡ, ὁ which is used in comparison, as, like as, even as, according as, in the same manner as, etc. (German wie); but it also assumes the nature of a conjunction, of time, of purpose, and of consequence. On its use in the Greek writings cf. Klotz ad Devar. 2:2, chapter xxxv., p. 756ff; (Liddell and Scott, under the word).
I. ὡς as an adverb of comparison;
1. It answers to some demonstrative word (οὕτως, or the like), either in the same clause or in another member of the same sentence (cf. Winer's Grammar, § 53, 5): [not this]
2. ὡς with the word or words forming the comparison is so subjoined to a preceding verb that οὕτως must be mentally inserted before the same. When thus used ὡς refers [this]
a. to the manner ('form') of the action expressed by the finite verb, and is equivalent to in the same manner as, after the fashion of; it is joined in this way to the subject (nominative) of the verb: [not this]
b. ὡς joined to a verb makes reference to the 'substance' of the act expressed by the verb, i. e. the action designated by the verb is itself said to be done ὡς, in like manner (just) as, something else: [not this]
c. ὡς makes reference to similarity or equality, in such expressions as εἶναι ὡς τινα, i. e. 'to be like' or 'equal to' one, [not this]
d. ὡς so makes reference to the quality of a person, thing, or action, as to be equivalent to such as, exactly like, as it were. German als; and [this]
α. to a quality which really belongs to the person or thing: [not this]

[THIS:] β. to a quality which is supposed, pretended, reigned, assumed: ὡς ἁμαρτωλός κρίνομαι, Romans 3:7; ὡς πονηρόν, Luke 6:22; add, 1 Corinthians 4:7; 1 Corinthians 8:7; 2 Corinthians 6:8-10; 2 Corinthians 11:15; 2 Corinthians 13:7; 1 Peter 2:12; frequently it can be rendered as if, as though, Acts 3:12; Acts 23:15, 20; Acts 27:30; 1 Corinthians 5:3; 2 Corinthians 10:14; 2 Corinthians 11:17; Colossians 2:20; Hebrews 11:27; Hebrews 13:3; ἐπιστολῆς ὡς δἰ ἡμῶν, namely, γεγραμμενης, 2 Thessalonians 2:2.

Therefore ...
[2Co 6:8 NKJV] 8 by honor and dishonor, by evil report and good report; as deceivers, and [yet] true;

can also be rendered as ...
[2Co 6:8 NLT] 8 We serve God whether people honor us or despise us, whether they slander us or praise us. We are honest, but they call us impostors.
[2Co 6:8 NIV] 8 through glory and dishonor, bad report and good report; genuine, yet regarded as impostors;
[2Co 6:8 ESV] 8 through honor and dishonor, through slander and praise. We are treated as impostors, and yet are true;
[2Co 6:8 CSB] 8 through glory and dishonor, through slander and good report; regarded as deceivers, yet true;
[2Co 6:8 NASB] 8 by glory and dishonor, by evil report and good report; [regarded] as deceivers and yet true;
[2Co 6:8 NET] 8 through glory and dishonor, through slander and praise; regarded as impostors, and yet true;
[2Co 6:8 RSV] 8 in honor and dishonor, in ill repute and good repute. We are treated as impostors, and yet are true;

BENGEL remarks "Through glory and dishonor (disgrace)," namely, from those in authority, and accruing to us present. "By," or "through evil report and good report," from the multitude, and affecting us absent.

FAUSSET remarks "Regarded 'as deceivers' by those who, not knowing ( 2Cr 6:9 ), dishonor and give us an evil report; 'as true,' by those who 'know' ( 2Cr 6:9 ) us in the real 'glory' of our ministry. In proportion as one has more or less of glory and good report, in that degree has he more or less of dishonor and evil report."

GAUSSEN remarks "The apostles combine the highest offices with the humblest exterior: as everything in the Church was to be cast in the mould of death and resurrection, the cardinal principle throughout Christianity."

DAVID GUZIK COMMENTARY:
By honor and dishonor, by evil report and good report; as deceivers, and yet true; as unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and behold we live; as chastened, and yet not killed; as sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things. In concluding his resume’, Paul will list his references, describing both what the world thought of him and what God thought of him.
i. The world (including the worldly Corinthian Christians) described Paul with words like: dishonor... evil report... deceivers... unknown... dying... chastened... sorrowful... poor... having nothing.
ii. In His reference, God described Paul with words like: honor... good report... true... well known... behold we live... not killed... always rejoicing... making many rich... possessing all things.
iii. Which description was true – the world’s or God’s? 2 Corinthians 4:18 gives the answer. According to the things which are seen, the world’s estimation was correct. According to the things which are not seen, God’s estimation was correct. Which estimation is more important to you?

MATTHEW HENRY COMMENTARY:
By a due temper and behaviour under all the variety of conditions in this world, v. 8-10. We must expect to meet with many alterations of our circumstances and conditions in this world; and it will be a great evidence of our integrity if we preserve a right temper of mind, and duly behave ourselves, under them all. The apostles met with honour and dishonour, good report and evil report: good men in this world must expect to meet with some dishonour and reproaches, to balance their honour and esteem; and we stand in need of the grace of God to arm us against the temptations of honour on the one hand, so as to bear good report without pride, and of dishonour on the other hand, so as to bear reproaches without impatience or recrimination. It should seem that persons differently represented the apostles in their reports; that some represented them as the best, and others as the worst, of men: by some they were counted deceivers, and run down as such; by others as true, preaching the gospel of truth, and men who were true to the trust reposed in them. They were slighted by the men of the world as unknown, men of no figure or account, not worth taking notice of; yet in all the churches of Christ they were well known, and of great account: they were looked upon as dying, being killed all the day long, and their interest was thought to be a dying interest; "and yet behold,' says the apostle, "we live, and live comfortably, and bear up cheerfully under all our hardships, and go on conquering and to conquer.' They were chastened, and often fell under the lash of the law, yet not killed: and though it was thought that they were sorrowful, a company of mopish and melancholy men, always sighing and mourning, yet they were always rejoicing in God, and had the greatest reason to rejoice always. They were despised as poor, upon the account of their poverty in this world; and yet they made many rich, by preaching the unsearchable riches of Christ. They were thought to have nothing, and silver and gold they had none, houses and lands they had none; yet they possessed all things: they had nothing in this world, but they had a treasure in heaven. Their effects lay in another country, in another world. They had nothing in themselves, but possessed all things in Christ. Such a paradox is a Christian's life, and through such a variety of conditions and reports lies our way to heaven; and we should be careful in all these things to approve ourselves to God.

That is an impressive report of understandings!
Thank-you...
Did you write a paper on this passage?

For myself, I think he is speaking of spiritual matters in the discipling of the Church...

"As deceiving yet true..." on this take would be the use of Parables where "seeing they perceive not..."
And beyond that, the Faith is entered without knowing how it will go for one entering...
We are not given a thorough explanation...
We enter in the Joy of Baptism into Christ...
And just as the Jews only encountered the Giants AFTER they entered the Promised Land...
So also Christians find their greatest trials AFTER Baptism into Christ...
Had the Jews known that they would only arrive in the Promised Land...
To find Giants therein opposing and mocking them...
They might easily have remained in Egypt...
But we have passed through the waters...
Our enemies were destroyed pursuing us in those very waters...
And Christ our Lord was Baptized in the waters of Jordan...
The very waters that marked the boundary of the Promised Land...
The waters through which we pass to enter the Kingdom of Heaven...
For as John the Baptizer of Christ our Lord in Jordan's Waters said:
"Be ye repenting, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand!"
Christ is the Kingdom of Heaven...
We are Baptized INTO Christ...
Christ is the one Who will baptize in the Holy Spirit and in Fire...
As John the Baptist fore-told...

"As deceiving, yet true..."

Because the Kingdom of Heaven does not explicate...
in terms of fallen man's ideas...
derived from fallen creation...

This Faith is entered, not explicated...
It is God's Faith, not a worldly explainable system of human understanding...
It is a Faith REVEALED by God Incarnate...
The Bible is ABOUT this Faith of Christ...

Arsenios

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
==============================================================================================

Arsenios (Post #10):

The Bible (1 Corinthians 12:13):
For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit.

==============================================================================================

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The Bible (1 Corinthians 12:13)

Yes. So? When we receive the sacrament of baptism, we receive the Holy Spirit, are forgiven our sins, and welcomed into the church of Christ. There is nothing there about any ghostly baptism, etc.

We are baptized with WATER and the Holy Spirit...by a HUMAN minister, just as the Apostles were told to do by Christ.

Last edited:

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Albion (Post #16):
Yes. So? ...

So, MennoSota was correct when he said:

And Arsenios was overlooking relevant Scripture when he made his statements [blank lines omitted]:

Other Scriptural teaching that seems to be often overlooked, is that after Jesus’ death and resurrection, commencing with the Day of Pentecost, the Holy Spirit in power mode* (baptism of the Holy Spirit) was given to believers, but never to unbelievers. (Not that I can find, anyway.) Interestingly, there seems to be no definitive example of someone receiving the Holy Spirit in power mode without prior belief, but there is an undeniable example of people receiving the Holy Spirit in power mode prior to baptism.

Therefore, the idea of sacramental baptism (which has been said to make a person a member of the Body of Christ, but does not guarantee their salvation), appears to rest on less than a totally secure foundation.

Anyway. MennoSota was correct in this instance.

* Generally speaking, the term “Holy Ghost” or Holy Spirit” or even just “Spirit”, can mean the indwelling of a believer, or the supernatural empowerment of a believer. It is wholesome to discern the difference.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married

Arsenios
Paul is not speaking spiritually in the sense of something other worldly. He is addressing a church that is terribly carnal and failing to recognize their position in Christ. Because of the behavior of some in the church, Paul is wondering if they are even saved. I have added bookends to your passage in hopes it makes my point.
2 Corinthians 5:21
For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
2 Corinthians 6:1-13
Working together with him, then, we appeal to you not to receive the grace of God in vain. For he says, “In a favorable time I listened to you, and in a day of salvation I have helped you.” Behold, now is the favorable time; behold, now is the day of salvation. We put no obstacle in anyone’s way, so that no fault may be found with our ministry, but as servants of God we commend ourselves in every way: by great endurance, in afflictions, hardships, calamities, beatings, imprisonments, riots, labors, sleepless nights, hunger; by purity, knowledge, patience, kindness, the Holy Spirit, genuine love; by truthful speech, and the power of God; with the weapons of righteousness for the right hand and for the left; through honor and dishonor, through slander and praise. We are treated as impostors, and yet are true; as unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and behold, we live; as punished, and yet not killed; as sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, yet possessing everything. We have spoken freely to you, Corinthians; our heart is wide open. You are not restricted by us, but you are restricted in your own affections. In return (I speak as to children) widen your hearts also.

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

Arsenios (Post #10):

The Bible (1 Corinthians 12:13):

(1 Corinthians 12:13):
For BY one Spirit we were all baptized into one body,

The word falsely translated BY and highlighted above in the Greek word EN, and it means IN...

It is not a dative of agency, but of place...

It is telling us that the Holy Spirit is the One IN WHOM Christ Baptizes us by the hands of His Servants, and in Water...

Arsenios

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Paul is not speaking spiritually in the sense of something other worldly.

He is not describing life at the 5 and dime...

He is showing you what a spiritually lived Life looks like...

You are welcome to book-end or even to edit quotes of mine...

But what is a book-end and where did you place it?

Arsenios

Top Bottom