I hear - I know people who go to church but are not saved. How do you know?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Is it worth mentioning that when this discussion got started, the point was not whether there are people in the churches who reject the Savior, but whether "there are many who go to church but are not saved."

There's quite a difference between those two, isn't there?

What difference do you think there is?

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Rejecting the Savior

versus

"many" who go to church but are "not saved."

You have to ask? For one thing, the original claim was that "many" were in the group being referred to. By the end, it had become "I haven't met one person in the churches." This was touched on by other posters earlier.

For another (and to me the more important) point, being saved and rejecting the Savior are entirely different.

I imagine that there are plenty of churchgoers who have never had a conversion experience, given their lives to Christ, etc, but who want to do good, want to associate with moral people, and so on, or just think that Christianity is all about those things. And this says nothing about people who are in church to find out or are interested in religion, etc. They certainly are not to be described as having "rejected" the Savior!

Last edited:

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
As long as salvation depends on self (even 0.00001%) then there MUST be one (or both) of two things:

1. A Pharisical pride for self and condemnation of others. "I'M in... you probably aren't."
2. Terror! "I can't know if I've done enough, done it right!"

Luther saw this in his own life.... then he read the Bible and saw something glorious.... Jesus is the Savior. No one saves themselves (in whole or in part).... thus all terror and pride and condemnation are eliminated.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
As long as salvation depends on self (even 0.00001%) then there MUST be one (or both) of two things:

1. A Pharisical pride for self and condemnation of others. "I'M in... you probably aren't."
2. Terror! "I can't know if I've done enough, done it right!"

Luther saw this in his own life.... then he read the Bible and saw something glorious.... Jesus is the Savior. No one saves themselves (in whole or in part).... thus all terror and pride and condemnation are eliminated.

Yet you teach that God sends people who have been made perfect, holy and righteous with no fault, to hell.

Top Bottom