Are Christians obligated to keep the Sabbath?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
The Sabbeth was for man according to what I read

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
True but you cant have a Sabbeth rest without a sabbeth and I am not a strict keeper of the Sabbeth on a certain day. I do believe that we need to set aside at least one day whatever that day might be to rest and reflect on God pray read.

rstrats

Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
No
MoreCoffee,
re: "I am curious to know where you got the quote that you used."

Holy Bible: From the Ancient Eastern Text

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
MoreCoffee,
re: "I am curious to know where you got the quote that you used."

Holy Bible: From the Ancient Eastern Text

I see, so it isn't from anything that the apostles wrote it is from some kind of reconstructed middle eastern translation taken from the Greek and then after reconstruction translated or paraphrased into English?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
True but you cant have a Sabbeth rest without a sabbeth and I am not a strict keeper of the Sabbeth on a certain day. I do believe that we need to set aside at least one day whatever that day might be to rest and reflect on God pray read.

It's better to keep the Lord's day. Sunday, in celebration of the Lord Jesus' resurrection.

rstrats

Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
No
MoreCoffee,
re: "I see, so it isn't from anything that the apostles wrote it is from some kind of reconstructed middle eastern translation taken from the Greek and then after reconstruction translated or paraphrased into English?"

So what English translation do you use which is taken directly from the original authors' writings?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
It's better to keep the Lord's day. Sunday, in celebration of the Lord Jesus' resurrection.
No disagreement with that although I think a good case can be made for Saturday and of course there are those who work or otherwise cant keep Sunday as the day

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
MoreCoffee,
re: "I see, so it isn't from anything that the apostles wrote it is from some kind of reconstructed middle eastern translation taken from the Greek and then after reconstruction translated or paraphrased into English?"

So what English translation do you use which is taken directly from the original authors' writings?

Almost all of the bibles I use are translated from the Greek & Hebrew/Aramaic texts that are thought to be copies of the originals. I do have one translation taken from Latin.

rstrats

Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
No
MoreCoffee,
re: "It's better to keep the Lord's day. Sunday, in celebration of the Lord Jesus' resurrection"

Just so it's understood that scripture never refers to the 1st day of the week as the "Lord's day"

BTW, I think it's interesting to note that scripture is silent with regard to anyone observing/celebrating the 1st day of the week in honor of the resurrection.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
MoreCoffee,
re: "It's better to keep the Lord's day. Sunday, in celebration of the Lord Jesus' resurrection"

Just so it's understood that scripture never refers to the 1st day of the week as the "Lord's day"

BTW, I think it's interesting to note that scripture is silent with regard to anyone observing/celebrating the 1st day of the week in honor of the resurrection.

I think just about every Church gathering happened on the first day of the week and that at those meetings the Lord's supper was celebrated because he is risen.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I think just about every Church gathering happened on the first day of the week and that at those meetings the Lord's supper was celebrated because he is risen.
Problem with this is that most all the first chruch were jewsih and for them the first day was Saturday

rstrats

Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
No
MoreCoffee,
re: "I think just about every Church gathering happened on the first day of the week and that at those meetings the Lord's supper was celebrated because he is risen."

Actually, as far as scripture is concerned there are only two times mentioned with regard to anybody getting together on the first (day) of the week - John 20:19 and Acts 20:7. There is never any mention of them ever again being together on the first. And neither verse says that it was for the purpose of honoring the resurrection. In fact in the John reference they didn't even know at the time that the resurrection had taken place.

re: "Problem with this is that most all the first chruch were jewsih and for them the first day was Saturday"

What is your source for saying that? I've never heard that first century Jews referred to the 1st day of the week as Saturday.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
MoreCoffee,
re: "I think just about every Church gathering happened on the first day of the week and that at those meetings the Lord's supper was celebrated because he is risen."

Actually, as far as scripture is concerned there are only two times mentioned with regard to anybody getting together on the first (day) of the week - John 20:19 and Acts 20:7. There is never any mention of them ever again being together on the first. And neither verse says that it was for the purpose of honoring the resurrection. In fact in the John reference they didn't even know at the time that the resurrection had taken place.

re: "Problem with this is that most all the first chruch were jewsih and for them the first day was Saturday"

What is your source for saying that? I've never heard that first century Jews referred to the 1st day of the week as Saturday.
When did their sabbeth occur? Cant remember but I do know that any Jewish source readily available on the internet would list it. MY bad it is the seventh day and Sunday ios their first day, sorry I got my wires crossed there thanks for catching it

Last edited:

rstrats

Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
No
psalms 91,

And I messed up by addressing my question to MoreCoffee and not to you.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Problem with this is that most all the first chruch were jewsih and for them the first day was Saturday

The first day of the week in Jewish calendars is what we call Sunday (technically what we call Saturday night and Sunday day time). Saturday (Friday night and Saturday day time) is the Sabbath day in Jewish calendars. Christians gathered to worship Jesus Christ on Saturday nights and Sunday during the day time and that is the First Day of the week in Jewish calendars.

rstrats

Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
No
MoreCoffee,
re: "The first day of the week in Jewish calendars is what we call Sunday (technically what we call Saturday night and Sunday day time).

Technically Saturday night begins at midnight. Then there is Saturday daytime and then another Saturday night which ends at midnight. Saturday has 1 daytime and 2 night times.

RichWh1

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
The Jewish Sabbath began Friday sundown and ended Saturday sundown.
Days began and ended in the evening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rstrats

Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
No
RichWh1,
re: "The Jewish Sabbath began Friday sundown and ended Saturday sundown."

I think that is known by pretty much everyone.

RichWh1

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
RichWh1,
re: "The Jewish Sabbath began Friday sundown and ended Saturday sundown."

I think that is known by pretty much everyone.

Christians do not keep the Sabbath, which is part of the Law of Moses.
The mention of a Sabbath rest in Hebrews is not a day we observe. Our rest is in Christ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom