Are Christians obligated to keep the Sabbath?

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
"Since the members of His Body, the Church, are considered by Him to be neither Jew nor Gentile, the Sabbath is not for their observance. They are new creatures in Christ Jesus: "For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of division between us, having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace." (Eph. 2:14-15).

As we have seen, the Sabbath in God's plan concerns only Israel. Note these truths: (1) the Sabbath law was given in Exodus 16-2500 years after creation; (2) it was given as a sign to Israel (Ex. 31:12-1); (3) since Israel is scattered, the Sabbath is not now observed; the Law was finished, according to Galatians 3:19, in Christ; (4) when the Jews are reestablished as God's earthly nation, the Sabbath will again be observed. Could there be a simpler explanation than this?"

Are Christians obligated to keep a Sabbath day of rest? Which day would that be? Why?

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think what Jesus said about how the Sabbath was made for man, rather than man being made for the Sabbath, sums it up pretty well. As he said, if a sheep fell into a hole people would save it rather than leaving it there until the Sabbath was over and then trying to pull the (likely now dead) sheep out of the hole.

I think it's good that we take a day off each week but not good if it becomes a slavish observance that we must not do anything, even when doing that something is immediately required. I'm not even convinced it has to be the same day for every person or even the same day every week. It's not like a church pastor can take Sunday off when he is expected to lead the service, preach etc. But at the same time if there aren't enough congregation members taking Sunday off to show up at church he might as well take the day off.

The Sabbath makes a lot of sense if we regard it as essentially an instruction to stop and smell the roses, rather than as an unyielding commandment that we must do nothing that counts as work between clearly designated hours regardless of circumstance.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I believe resting in Jesus is the Sabbath

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
We should keep a sabbeth whatever day it is for you. God hasnt changed and neither has what He wants from us

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
We should keep a sabbeth whatever day it is for you. God hasnt changed and neither has what He wants from us

And the verses your using to support your view is what?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
And the verses your using to support your view is what?
Well lets start with the ten commandments. From there lets go to worship the Lord your God with all your heart, your might, and your strength. Pretty hard to do if you cant even set aside one day to draw close to God. I stated what I believe and if others disagree so beit because I know what God has said and I know He honors the sabbeth. I am sure that I will get an argument on this just like on tithing because nowadays it is do as you please and God will be ok with it, problem is that He isnt.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Well lets start with the ten commandments. From there lets go to worship the Lord your God with all your heart, your might, and your strength. Pretty hard to do if you cant even set aside one day to draw close to God. I stated what I believe and if others disagree so beit because I know what God has said and I know He honors the sabbeth. I am sure that I will get an argument on this just like on tithing because nowadays it is do as you please and God will be ok with it, problem is that He isnt.

No, not arguing with you at all. I just wanted to know what scripture you believe supports your view. This is in the ethics and debate section of the forum.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
What does resting in Jesus mean?
In him is the fulfilment of the law. Resting as in being Christian (In Christ) or simply a believer baptised in Christ.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
In other words Jesus is our rest

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
No, not arguing with you at all. I just wanted to know what scripture you believe supports your view. This is in the ethics and debate section of the forum.
Im sorry it just seems like no matter how straightforward the belief there is always an argument against it here. We cant even agree on salvation let alone the Sabbeth or tithing or just about anything else. I feel very strongly about setting aside time to deraw close to God especially in this day and age where almost everything tries to draw you away from that intimate up close and personal relationship with God. Many say they are saved but have no real relationship with God other than going to church on Sunday and many dont even do that, so yes I feel very strongly about the Sabbeth

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Im sorry it just seems like no matter how straightforward the belief there is always an argument against it here. We cant even agree on salvation let alone the Sabbeth or tithing or just about anything else. I feel very strongly about setting aside time to deraw close to God especially in this day and age where almost everything tries to draw you away from that intimate up close and personal relationship with God. Many say they are saved but have no real relationship with God other than going to church on Sunday and many dont even do that, so yes I feel very strongly about the Sabbeth
You are secured in the Faith brother, once and for all, you are solid in Gods foundation of Salvation and no wind nor hound of hell can come against it.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

I think here you quite aptly demonstrate why many of us believe there is so much more to it than simply "observe the Sabbath".

As you quite rightly say there are people who go to church on Sunday and live the other six days as if God didn't exist. How does observing the Sabbath help them? On the other hand, what of the person who works to support their family for six days and on Sunday spends some time helping at the old folks' home, while making sure to set aside time each and every day to draw close to God? Is that person observing the Sabbath or not? And are they in a better place spiritually than the person who treats church as little more than a glorified social club?

Part of the reason there is discusion and disagreement is because some of the Old Testament is regarded as still being relevant and some is regarded as no longer relevant. Unless you refuse to shave the edges of your beard, wear clothes of mixed fibers and set women aside for seven days during their monthly cycle you can't simply point to a verse in the Old Testament as if it were as simple as "look, it says it right there". If someone believes a verse is cultural and you believe it is universal (or vice versa) I'm not sure why you simply state a belief in a debate forum unless you're willing to back it with more than "I believe what I believe".

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Perhaps this is why this command to set aside the Sabbath is there in the first place, because God knows that if we don't set aside the time other things will crowd it and take over. Just like the pens of animals that crept into the temple in Jesus' day and he had to cleanse the temple and told them not to make his Father's house a house of merchandise. What probably started off for good reasons became a business and took over.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The word that gets me stuck for this thread is "obligated". Does that just mean that we should set aside a day because we love God or does it mean we have to do it or else? The second one bothers me because I don't see God being that type as we are under Christ who has become our Sabbath rest.

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus is our Sabbath Rest.

We no longer have to observe special days.

The old law with the ceremonial works and the Sabbath were just a shadow of Jesus.

Jesus is the light and there are no shadows in the light.

We no longer observe shadows; we now have the Man who made that shadow.

The Sabbath was about Jesus.

All holy days were about Jesus. We do not have to observe any special days; we only have to observe Jesus all day every day.

Observing special days as something one believes they have to do are weak and worthless rudimentary notions.

Observing special days were a shadow of what was coming, Jesus Christ.

See Galatians 4:9, 10; Romans 14:5; Colossians 2:16, 17; Hebrews 8:5; Hebrews 10:1.

Jesus is our Rest

Matthew 11:28 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.

Last edited:

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes

The old law with the ceremonial works and the Sabbath were just a shadow of Jesus.

All holy days were about Jesus. We do not have to observe any special days; we only have to observe Jesus all day every day.

Observing special days as something one believes they have to do are weak and worthless rudimentary notions.

See Galatians 4:9, 10; Romans 14:5; Colossians 2:16, 17; Hebrews 8:5; Hebrews 10:1.

Jesus is our Rest

Matthew 11:28 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
Agree! Great first post and welcome!

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married

Jesus is our Rest

I totally agree but with this: No matter what day it is we should set aside a day and time to draw close to God and exclude distractions. In this busy world I feel this is very important

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I totally agree but with this: No matter what day it is we should set aside a day and time to draw close to God and exclude distractions. In this busy world I feel this is very important

Just like Christmas, if a person wants to celebrate a day for the Lord's birthday then it makes no difference for the good of salvation and not against it.

Usually though, with people who say they observe the Sabbath, most believe God wants them to and they believe those who don't are doing wrong.

Top Bottom