Should Christians get tattoos?

Is it a sin to get a tattoo for a Christian?

• yes

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • no

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • not sure

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it is.

If food didn't taste good we wouldn't eat and then we would die.

Food is a necessity to live.

Tattoos are not.

Getting tattoos is a sin.

Eating is a sin if you get really over weight.

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
No
The poison in tattoo ink is a problem. Who knows what's in it? But of course, being tough is a big thing with tattoos, so nobody pays mind to it.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The poison in tattoo ink is a problem. Who knows what's in it? But of course, being tough is a big thing with tattoos, so nobody pays mind to it.

I have no tattoos and have no plans on getting any in the future but wanted to state that I never considered the possibility that people are being poisoned by the inks. It makes sense though! Even artist paints can be poisonous!

I looked it up https://www.mensjournal.com/health-fitness/dont-panic-or-anything-tattoos-could-actually-poison-you/

Problem is, the usually harmless pigment used in tattoo ink has potential impurities that can become damaging once inside your body. For example, most tattoo inks contain organic pigments, as well as contaminants such as nickel, chromium, manganese, or cobalt.

The most common ingredient is carbon black, followed by titanium dioxide (TiO2), a white pigment used to create certain shades. TiO2 is considered pretty safe—it’s used in sunscreens and toothpastes—but some studies have shown it can become harmful by creating oxidative stress (the process that damages your cells and potentially causes cancer), inflammation, and an immune response similar to an allergic reaction, according to additional research Opens a New Window. published in Radiology and Oncology.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
If food didn't taste good we wouldn't eat and then we would die.

Food is a necessity to live.

Tattoos are not.

Getting tattoos is a sin.

Eating is a sin if you get really over weight.

Food is necessary to live but we don't have to eat the best food in order to survive. Eating steak and lobster is no more necessary than getting a tattoo. Is something sinful just because it isn't necessary?

The argument about tasting good makes no sense at all, since many of the things that taste good are really bad for us and many of the things that are good for us don't necessarily taste very good. Given the choice between a plate of kale and a bowl of fries I know which one tastes better, and it isn't the one that's nutritionally useful.

Let me guess, this is the bit where you pull a verse from the Old Testament to say something is a sin, and ignore other verses around it?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Let me guess this is where you say everything is ok and rip the Old Testament out of your bible

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Food is necessary to live but we don't have to eat the best food in order to survive. Eating steak and lobster is no more necessary than getting a tattoo. Is something sinful just because it isn't necessary?

The argument about tasting good makes no sense at all, since many of the things that taste good are really bad for us and many of the things that are good for us don't necessarily taste very good. Given the choice between a plate of kale and a bowl of fries I know which one tastes better, and it isn't the one that's nutritionally useful.

Let me guess, this is the bit where you pull a verse from the Old Testament to say something is a sin, and ignore other verses around it?

I see that you can't make sense about eating and getting dressed.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Let me guess this is where you say everything is ok and rip the Old Testament out of your bible

That's not what I do, but even if it were it would be more consistent than picking a verse and insisting it applies in full while ignoring the verses either side of it because they don't fit modern lifestyles.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I see that you can't make sense about eating and getting dressed.

Awesome response. Care you explain your assertion that getting a tattoo is a sin, given you didn't manage to say much of any use about eating luxury foods?

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Awesome response. Care you explain your assertion that getting a tattoo is a sin, given you didn't manage to say much of any use about eating luxury foods?

I explained a lot but you reject the truth. Your signature is ironic.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
What does it matter if you get a tattoo or not. I have none but plenty of people have some. Is anyone willing to say "you'll go to hell if you get a tattoo"?

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What does it matter if you get a tattoo or not. I have none but plenty of people have some. Is anyone willing to say "you'll go to hell if you get a tattoo"?

God says to come out of her my people so as not share in her sins, so that you will not receive any of her plagues.

Why do anything that might cause you to be punished?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
God says to come out of her my people so as not share in her sins, so that you will not receive any of her plagues.

Why do anything that might cause you to be punished?

"Come out of her my people" is a reference to exiting Babylon the Great in the Apocalypse of saint John the theologian. It doesn't have anything to do with tattoos.

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Come out of her my people" is a reference to exiting Babylon the Great in the Apocalypse of saint John the theologian. It doesn't have anything to do with tattoos.

There is more than one scripture speaking of not sinning so that you do not get punished.

How many scriptures do you need to believe and obey?

Leviticus 19:28 "'Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
There is more than one scripture speaking of not sinning so that you do not get punished.

How many scriptures do you need to believe and obey?

Leviticus 19:28 "'Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.

So you're advising Christians to follow the laws in Leviticus on pain of hell if they do not? Is that your way of saying we ought to be Jews and that the whole Jesus thing was some sort of mistake when one of his followers teaches that the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith.

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So you're advising Christians to follow the laws in Leviticus on pain of hell if they do not? Is that your way of saying we ought to be Jews and that the whole Jesus thing was some sort of mistake when one of his followers teaches that the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith.

I didn't say the pain of hell.

So would you like to keep teaching people they don't have to obey God?
The old law was Jesus' shadow.
Do you really think all the old Testament was taken away?

Last edited:

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I didn't say the pain of hell.

Well, that's a mercy. But you did say it is a sin and sins (if unrepented) lead to hell don't they?

Anyway, I take it that you do not want Christians to return to Leviticus for their laws about life and conduct, right? So you don't want them to become Jews and reject Christianity, right?

So why make such a fuss about tattoos. If you don't want one then don't get one.

It is very simple.

Or are you aiming to make everyone else jump to the tune you play? Can someone else, other than you, get a tattoo and avoid hell?

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, that's a mercy. But you did say it is a sin and sins (if unrepented) lead to hell don't they?

Anyway, I take it that you do not want Christians to return to Leviticus for their laws about life and conduct, right? So you don't want them to become Jews and reject Christianity, right?

So why make such a fuss about tattoos. If you don't want one then don't get one.

It is very simple.

Or are you aiming to make everyone else jump to the tune you play? Can someone else, other than you, get a tattoo and avoid hell?

2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

I have proven with scripture that it is wrong to get a tattoo.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

I have proven with scripture that it is wrong to get a tattoo.

Not exactly; what you proved is that the old testament had a law forbidding Israelites from getting tattoos. But since Christians are not "under law" but are "under grace" and since the vast majority of Christians are not descended from any of the twelve tribes by birth it follows that the old testament law for Israelites may not be applicable for Christians. Besides which, Jesus received no tattoos and isn't that the chief consideration when dealing with Christians? After all Christians are buried with Christ in baptism and raised with Christ to new life so the law is no longer their "schoolmaster".

I do not see what the point is of raking through the old testament to find things to bind up as duties for Christians.

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not exactly; what you proved is that the old testament had a law forbidding Israelites from getting tattoos.

All the saved are the true Israel.

But since Christians are not "under law" but are "under grace" and since the vast majority of Christians are not descended from any of the twelve tribes by birth it follows that the old testament law for Israelites may not be applicable for Christians.

Jesus came and gave the rules and regulations for the new law, the new testament and covenant.

Don't you know that Paul and all the apostles taught the new law?

Paul is the minister to the new covenant that Jesus made.

2 Corinthians 3:6 He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant—not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

We are no longer under the old law; we are under the new law written on our hearts and minds, see Hebrews 10:16, and 1 Corinthians 9:21.

The new law is the law of the Spirit, see Romans 8:2, the perfect law; see James 1:25.

It is the law that gives freedom, see James 2:12.

It is the LAW that requires faith, see Romans 3:27.

It is the law of Christ; see 1 Corinthians 9:21, and Galatians 6:2.

We always have to obey God, and Jesus tells us what to do in the New Covenant.

Besides which, Jesus received no tattoos and isn't that the chief consideration when dealing with Christians? After all Christians are buried with Christ in baptism and raised with Christ to new life so the law is no longer their "schoolmaster".

I do not see what the point is of raking through the old testament to find things to bind up as duties for Christians.

1 Peter 1:16 for it is written: "Be holy for I am holy."

Peter is quoting Leviticus 11:44-45; and Leviticus 20:7. Leviticus is known as the holiness code.

We are warned against tattoos in Leviticus.

There is no reason to believe tattoos are now acceptable.

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tattoos are so of the flesh. We are not supposed to live according to the flesh...

Romans 8 For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in the flesh, 4 in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
5 Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.

Romans 8:6 The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace.

Romans 8:8 Those who are in the realm of the flesh cannot please God.

Romans 8:12 Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation—but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it.

Romans 13:14 Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the flesh.

Galatians 5:16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.

Galatians 5:17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want.

Galatians 5:24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

Ephesians 2:3 All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath.

Top Bottom