Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I started a little over two weeks ago going back to the gym. I try to do at least 45 minutes of cardio of some kind. Typically this is a combination of walking and running or elliptical. Then, I do some weight training, mainly upper body. I typically feel better when I exercise and I do enjoy it after I start. The main thing is finding the motivation to go. I found that if I drive straight from work to the gym it helps. If I go home first, then i will never go back out. It has been really cold here and realistically I am not going to run out in the cold. This Texas boy don't do that.

Even though I am doing well with my sleep apnea treatment, I am still finding myself dealing with some fatigue. I'm not sure why exactly except that it is probably the result of my diabetes.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Good going with your workouts! 45 minutes is a beneficial amount of time. Fatigue can be from so many things. Have you checked your thyroid?

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Good going with your workouts! 45 minutes is a beneficial amount of time. Fatigue can be from so many things. Have you checked your thyroid?

yes, my thyroid has been checked and it is fine.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I am changing jobs in about 10 days. I found a job closer to home and more flexible hours and better pay. I should be and probably will be more happy about it than I am now. I feel disappointed with the way my current job is ending with a company that I have over three years of experience with. I had really high hopes that I would stay with this company the rest of my career and it turns out I have been there a little over a year. It isn't my fault and I'm not taking responsibility for it. I feel like I did the best that I could.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
I am changing jobs in about 10 days. I found a job closer to home and more flexible hours and better pay. I should be and probably will be more happy about it than I am now. I feel disappointed with the way my current job is ending with a company that I have over three years of experience with. I had really high hopes that I would stay with this company the rest of my career and it turns out I have been there a little over a year. It isn't my fault and I'm not taking responsibility for it. I feel like I did the best that I could.
Yes, I agree you did the best you could and I know it saddens you to leave. Maybe the next job will be a better one. I hope so. :)

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I have really been struggling to run during my work outs so I am going to look for a 5k or 10k for the spring to train for. I do better when I have a event that I am training for rather than simply running for my health. Maybe late April or early May 2019.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
John 3:1-13
3 "Now there was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews; 2 this man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, “Rabbi, we know that You have come from God as a teacher; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him.” 3 Jesus answered and said to him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God."

Nicodemus was a Pharisee and a ruler of the people of Israel during the time of Jesus. He was a man who had many scripture passages memorized and was a part of the Sanhedrin or ruling counsel. He should have understood the concept about the new birth since it is mentioned in the Old Testament. However, Nicodemus was trusting in the fact that he had been born a Jew for entry into heaven. To this, Jesus begins his teaching to tell him he needs, as does everyone else, to be born again. This was astonishing to someone who already thought he had eternal life guaranteed. That a person must be born again is mentioned in numerous parts of the New Testament in 1 Peter 1:3; Titus 3:5, Romans 6:1-11, Galatians 6:15, James 1:18.

For Jesus, it is not simply a matter of being reformed morally to enter into heaven or rule keeping. Our good deeds are like filthy rags to God and we can never be good enough by the flesh. Later in verse 6, Jesus will say in essence "flesh is flesh" and it cannot earn entry into heaven. Nicodemus understood rule keeping and works. The Bible makes it clear that is it not something of works that we should boast Ephesians 2:9. It is a matter of regeneration that occurs by the work of the Spirit not of man.

4 Nicodemus *said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born, can he?” 5 Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 Do not be amazed that I said to you, ‘You must be born
again.’8 The wind blows where it wishes and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going; so is everyone who is born of the Spirit.” vs.4-8

Nicodemus responds in astonishment. He takes Jesus words literally in verse 4. To emphasize his point, the words "truly, truly" mean that Jesus is being very emphatic about what he says. Jesus says to him that you think it is enough to be born a Jew. But, you must be also born of the Spirit. You don't understand the Spirit anymore than you understand the wind vs.8, but that doesn't mean you can't experience it. The idea of being born of "water" is the natural birth that we all experience.

9 "Nicodemus said to Him, “How can these things be?” 10 Jesus answered and said to him, “Are you the teacher of Israel and do not understand these things? 11 Truly, truly, I say to you, we speak of what we know and testify of what we have seen, and you do not accept our testimony. 12 If I told you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things? 13 No one has ascended into heaven, but He who descended from heaven: the Son of Man."

Jesus is saying that as the sole person who has descended from heaven he has the authority to teach this. As one who witnessed it and knows it he can teach it. Jesus is amazed that Nicodemus doesn't immediately understand what he is saying vs.10. The fact that Nicodemus had so many scriptures memorized and appeared just in everyone else's eyes should cause us to pause and consider these words of Jesus.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
John 2:1-12

John 2:1-5 starts this way

2 "And the third day there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee; and the mother of Jesus was there:

2 And both Jesus was called, and his disciples, to the marriage.

3 And when they wanted wine, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, They have no wine.

4 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come.

5 His mother saith unto the servants, Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it."

Of these first verses I have verse 5 underlined. Mary did not know what Jesus would do. She understood him well enough that he would do something. She understood that what he might ask them to do might not make sense. They may be tempted to ignore his request. But, Mary's directive is clear, no matter what he says to you to do, your job is to do it. Mary had learned this by watching her son

Two examples I can think of when God called someone to do something that they didn't understand at the time is when God called on Abraham to offer up Isaac in Genesis 22. Also, when God told Abram to leave his homeland in Genesis 12. Hebrews 11:8-9 makes it clear that Abram did not initially know where he was going, but took steps of faith to obey anyway.

In Luke 2:41-52 we see one of the few stories of Jesus as boy. He had stayed behind in Jerusalem to teach in the temple at 12 years old. It says that he "continued to be in subjection to them" verse 51. Up until this time when Jesus started his public ministry he was always obedient to Mary. This statement in verse 4 is an indication not of rudeness, but that their relationship had changed. He was no longer taking his orders from her.

If you are a christian long enough, you realize that sometimes it doesn't appear on the surface of things that Jesus commands make sense. Perhaps he asks you to give something up or to do a ministry you don't feel equipped for. Perhaps he asks you to fill stone waterpots and then asks you to take some of it to the head waiter as Jesus did here. To the servant, the water looked like water. There is no indication that it looked different. It seemed like an odd request. We sometimes simply have to be obedient and realize that God has a plan in what he has called us to do, even if it doesn't make sense to us.

The result of Jesus request John 2:9-11

9 "When the ruler of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and knew not whence it was: (but the servants which drew the water knew;) the governor of the feast called the bridegroom,

10 And saith unto him, Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now.

11 This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee, and manifested forth his glory; and his disciples believed on him."

The worse was usually saved for last when people had already had a lot to drink and might have had enough already. But, the wine Jesus provided was better than anything man had made. This is indicated to be the first of His signs. A sign pointing to Jesus as Savior and Lord. It says that the disciples in response believed or pisteuo- to be persuaded that a thing is true, to place confidence in. What do you place confidence in?

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
John 1:29-39
29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world. John 1:29 KJV

Here we see John the Baptist in John 1:29-39, first specifically identify Jesus as the Lamb of God who baptizes with fire. John identifies Jesus as

1. The lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world vs.29,36. See also references to lamb of God in Reveleations 5:6-8, 14:1, 17:14, 19:7-10; 22:1. The lamb of God may be a reference to Abraham's mention when he was going to the mountain to sacrifice Isaac. Abraham said that on that mountain God would provide for himself a lamb, a sacrifice Genesis 22:8. It is also most probably a reference to Jesus as our Passover Lamb.

The lamb is the one who takes away the sins of the world. The word "who takes away" bears with it both that Jesus took up the guilt of the sin of the whole world (Ex 28:38; Lev 5:1; Ezek 18:20) and also that he removed it. The apostle John uses the universal note that he uses again in John 3:16, 4:42, 6:51). It is the sins of the whole world or kosmos that Jesus removes.

30 This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man which is preferred before me: for he was before me. John 1:30 KJV

2. John identifes Jesus again as having a higher rank than him and that he existed before John. vs.30 This is not a reference to John and Jesus physical body because John was born several months before Jesus. It is a reference to the eternal nature of Jesus as The Word of God who is eternal. John has previously mentioned that he is not worthy to untie the sandal straps of Jesus' shoes. The role of a servant.

31 And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water.

32 And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.

33 And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.

34 And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God. John 1:31-34, KJV

3. John himself did not initially recognize Jesus as the Messiah vs.31,33 The Pharisees and Sadducees were looking for a prophet king who would save them from Rome. John preached Jesus as the Savior of the whole world instead. But, he only recognized him when he was baptized and the Spirit descended upon him much like a dove. This was a sign given to John that this was the one whom was the Messiah. There are numerous references to the Spirit falling upon and resting on Jesus in Matthew 3:16-17, Isaiah 11:1-2, Isaiah 61:1; Acts 10:37-38..

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
John 1:14-18 The Word Became Flesh

14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

In John 1:14-18, John finally reveals that the Word which he has been talking about who was with God and was God was made flesh. In this manner, he introduces the concept of the incarnation. That Jesus took on flesh and dwelt among us. The word dwelt is skenoo which means he fixed his tabernacle among us or to dwell. The word tabernacle is important and brings to memory the tabernacle that was made in the Old Testament which was a tent or a temporary dwelling. In this case, it was also a temporary dwelling, but it was a body made of flesh. John says that this glory we beheld which was full of grace and truth.

15 John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.

John goes on to say that John the Baptist gave a testimony about Jesus. The word "bare witness" is martyreo or one who gives testimony. John testified about two things here and in verse 30, that he had a higher rank than John and that he also existed before John. Even though, John's physical birth came first, John is referring to Jesus' eternal nature as a part of the Godhead. The idea of one who comes after me erchomai has in it the idea of someone who arises or enters the stage. By becoming incarnate, Jesus enters history and walks onto the stage of human life and reveals the nature of God to man. He reveals the "fulness" of God because he is the exact representation of who God is (Hebrews 1:3). Jesus said that the one who had seen him had seen the Father (John 14:9)

16 And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace. 17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ. 18 No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

John goes on to mention the law and Moses in verse 17. While by Moses the law was created and revealed, by the person of Jesus grace and truth was revealed. Over and over again throughout scripture, it is clear that the law was imperfect and useless to save us from our sins. Romans 8:3 says that what the law could not do, the Father did by sending us His son as an offering for sin. The law is only a shadow (Heb 10:1) and the sacrifices the priest offers cannot save (Hebrews 10:11). By through the grace of God, the gift of God (which is the person of Jesus) results instead of condemnation in justification (Romans 5:15,20,21). So, now we can truly experience freedom from sin because there is now no condemnation for those in Christ (Romans 8:1).

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
John 1:1-5 Who Jesus is
The gospel of John begins far differently from the other three synoptic gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke. Perhaps it is because in John's day the issues were different or perhaps he is writing to specific group. We do know that he was writing for a specific reason because he tells us what it is. In John 20:31 John tells us the reason by saying, "but these have been written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name." Therefore, at the very beginning of his gospel John wants to make it clear to the reader who Jesus is.

The first verse of John 1 is

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

Much has been made about why John wrote or described Jesus in this way. The word that is used here is the Word or logos to describe Jesus and it says that Jesus was in the beginning both with God and was God. It does not describe his beginning, but rather says that he is the beginning. The Bible doesn't describe the beginning of the existence of God, but simply states that he existed in the beginning. In other words, he is both the maker of all things and yet was never created himself being God. By calling his the Word he is indicating that Jesus is the one who is both the creator and sustainer of the universe and the author of us all. If this sounds strange, remember that in John 17:5 Jesus spoke of the glory that he had with the Father before the world began. He also affirmed that Abraham by faith saw Jesus day was glad for it (John 8:56).

It may help to define what the beginning means. The beginning is the word arche which means the origin, the person or thing that commences, the first person or thing in a series, the active cause. In the case of Jesus, he is the active cause or beginning of the rest of creation. That is why he could stand up and speak to the sea and the waves and the wind and silence them with a word because he made them. (see Luke 8:24).

Then in verse 2-3 it says

2 "He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made."

This is mentioned also in the Old Testament. In Psalm 33:6 it says that the heavens and its hosts were made by the Word of God. One of the implications of these verses is that man was not simply made for his or her own purposes. That Jesus made us and is author of us all means that we are accountable to him with the life that we live. How many people live today as though they are not accountable to anyone besides themselves. That it is said twice in verse 3 indicates its importance to realize that literally "nothing" was created without him.

Then John speaks of light and life in verses 4-5

"4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it."

Jesus refers to himself as the light of the world in several places in scripture John 8:12 and 9:5. He also refers to himself as the life John 5:26 and 11:25.

You and I do not have life in ourselves. We are dependent on the Lord to sustain us. Jesus had life in himself. I have heard it said that if Jesus did not specifically say Lazarus' name before he raised him from the grave that many of the other graves around Lazarus tomb would have had deceased loved ones come out of them also. Jesus had the authority to call into life what was dead and had authority to overcome death

This means that Jesus is the giver of life and is also the light meaning that he reveals truth. The light also speaks of how he overcomes darkness or evil. John ends the beginning of his gospel prelude by saying that the darkness did not comprehend the light. The transliterated word for comprehend it is katalambano which means to seize upon, take possession of, to detect, cath, to understand, perceive. Evil both does not take possession of the light nor is it able to understand or perceive it. Nor is mankind without the light which is through Jesus Christ.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Luke 22:24-31 Who is the Greatest?
Years ago, when I worked in a church in Petersburg, Virginia, a deacon came up to me and showed me a chart of the leadership of the church. He had the deacons above everyone else. He was trying to tell me that this was his understanding of church leadership that he was in charge. I replied that the word deacon actually means one who waits tables and is in reference to a servant of others not a lord over others.

That deacon didn't like my answer and he never really did talk to me much after that. But, the disciples seemed to have the same idea that this deacon did. In Luke 22:24-31, the very night that Jesus would be betrayed, they are arguing over who is the greatest. This has occurred several times since it is mentioned in Matthew 18:1 and also Mark 9:33-34. These disciples had a dispute. The word dispute here is philoneikia which means to love of strife, eagerness to content. This was a heated argument over who was the greatest.

Jesus' reply is amazingly patient and kind given that his time with them on earth is running out. In fact, later in this passage he tells each of them that they will rule on thrones and eat at the table in the kingdom verse 30. But, he reminds them since he has taught this to them before that they are not judged as great the same way the Gentile rules were. The Gentile rulers were called "Benefactors" this is because they would sometimes reward those who followed them faithfully with tracks of land and other rewards. But, Jesus said that he was among them as one who serves. Here is Luke 22:24-29

24 And there was also a strife among them, which of them should be accounted the greatest.

25 And he said unto them, The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and they that exercise authority upon them are called benefactors.

26 But ye shall not be so: but he that is greatest among you, let him be as the younger; and he that is chief, as he that doth serve.

27 For whether is greater, he that sitteth at meat, or he that serveth? is not he that sitteth at meat? but I am among you as he that serveth.

28 Ye are they which have continued with me in my temptations.

29 And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me;

30 That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

This is again how the gospel contradicts our views of greatness and importance in the world. Jesus said you want to be great become like the youngest (the one with the least rights and privileges). You want to be great follow my example and wash feet (John 13:13-20). You want to become great in the kingdom of God then lose your life for my sake and the gospels. It would lead Paul to write in Philippians 2:5-7

5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Listening to this song "Power of Your Love" here are the words to it.

Lord I come to You
Let my heart be changed, renewed
Flowing from the grace
That I found in You.
And Lord I've come to know
The weaknesses I see in me
Will be stripped away
By the power of Your love.

Hold me close
Let Your love surround me
Bring me near
Draw me to Your side.
And as I wait
I'll rise up like the eagle
And I will soar with You
Your Spirit leads me on
In the power of Your love.

Lord unveil my eyes
Let me see You face to face
The knowledge of Your love
As You live in me.
Lord renew my mind
As Your will unfolds in my life
In living every day
by the power of Your love.

I was telling a person today that one way to overcome things like depression and anxiety is to replace those thoughts with something better. For me, praise music does that because it reminds me of things like how much God loves me, has forgiven me, has had mercy on me and how he has saved me.
What we focus on tends to expand and grow

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I feel like I am starting to finally make some progress after weeks of seeing no progress in my work outs. I ran 4.8 miles this morning and did some weights. I'm thinking of doing a 5k in March. I changed my diet some also to add more protein.

Lucian Hodoboc

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Why are you so passionate about working out? What type of progress are you seeking?

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Why are you so passionate about working out? What type of progress are you seeking?

Because exercise is linked to living longer and it also helps with stress and feel better. Plus, I also like to set goals and achieve them.
I would like to be able to run a 5k under 30 minutes. Then move up to longer races such as a 10k or half marathon

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I signed up last week to run in a 5k on March 30 and then got sick and missed training for 9 days. Today it was really nice outside so I ran outside for the first time in a long time. Mainly I have been training on a treadmill. I'm still coughing like crazy, but it still felt pretty good to be outside running. I got back home and my blood sugar was 55 so drank some juice and was good to go after that. Some days it feels like I have made no progress at all in my running over the last 9 months or so.
I have been reading a commentary on Galatians in the last week or so. It really has stressed to me that we are saved by grace through faith. That there is nothing we can do to add to what Christ has done and it is an insult to Christ and his cross to even think we can. We simply have to receive the gift of salvation as a free gift and accept it humbly and understand it isn't about what we do, but what he did.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I am in week four of my new workout plan. I was running three days a week and doing strength training twice a week. This week I am adding a day of running. So far, I have done three days of running and one day of strength training with two days left for the week.
I am using a run/walk method to build endurance in my running. I run as long as I can and then alternate run/walking for the rest of my workout. I am trying to get to where I can consistently run 30 minutes outside without it being difficult. I have run for 30 minutes twice outside recently and for over 40 minutes on treadmill. We have a lot of hills in our area and that and the warmer weather makes running outside more difficult. Plus, running on the treadmill means that the treadmill helps generate some pace. Though a lot of people don't like running on treadmills and find it boring. Generally I either listen to music or watch television while I am on the treadmill.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Because I have been on insulin so long it appears that my stomach is not absorbing insulin like it use to. I switched sites today and am using my arms for infusion sites and getting good results. So far, my numbers for my blood sugar today have been really good.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I am now going to physical therapy twice a week and doing at home physical therapy exercises twice daily. I am having to use crutches for the first time in my life and this has been difficult, but I have been told that if I don't keep the weight off my right leg that the fracture I have will never heal. I have had a lot less pain this week than last week, which I would take as a good sign. The physical therapy is meant to keep my right leg strong and flexible, so my recover time is not as long once I can start walking on it again. It could be weeks from now before that happens. I don't have a specific time table yet.

Top Bottom