Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (20,100,000 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      84.17%
      When my Fitbit gives up the ghost I'm done with them. I've been growing weary of them for a time because on the few occasions I've had to contact their "support" the staff are largely useless, and for good measure reading reviews of their current range it seems like their quality control is at least as bad as when I was trying to work with the original Charge. The only clip-on tracker they offer doesn't count floors. For good measure yesterday I found they don't care about tracking floors at all - I did my usual 6-mile hike but forgot to take my Fitbit with me. It turns out you can manually enter an exercise and adjust your steps, active minutes, and calories. Sadly even though you can enter "stair climbing" as an exercise there is no way to manually enter elevation gain. Since that's the thing I'm most interested in tracking it not only means I've lost 130 floors for the month which messes with my attempts to get personal best totals, they clearly aren't interested in customers like me despite their corporate fluff about "there's something for everyone in our range".

As if that wasn't annoying enough, the "assistant" yesterday couldn't do much more than offer me the helpful advice "take your fitbit when you go hiking". Yeah, thanks for that.

Not sure what my One is going to be replaced with when it finally dies but it's increasingly unlikely that it will be another Fitbit.
      "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley

"If you love me, obey my commandments" - Jesus Christ

The Bible comes as a complete package. If we want to pluck verses out of context so make them mean what we want them to mean, if we want to ignore the passages that are inconvenient to our outlook, we should be intellectually honest enough to throw our Bibles in the trash and admit we are following Crowley and not Christ.

2. Likes Lämmchen liked this post
      Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo

Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (407,363 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      55.31%
      I don't think I'd spend the money on a Fitbit. I never used the features mine had anyway...I just wanted the step count.
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

tango is online now Bronze Member
      Valued Contributor
      Married
      ... and you shall live ...

Mood:
      Bemused

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (20,100,000 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      84.17%
      Quote Originally Posted by Lämmchen View Post
      I don't think I'd spend the money on a Fitbit. I never used the features mine had anyway...I just wanted the step count.
      The One was a really good product. It was something like $80 and that included the clip. It clips on a pocket/belt/bra/whatever and pretty much sits out of the way as it counts steps, floors climbed and active minutes. Of course it can't measure pulse as it's not typically pressed against any part of the body but it worked and was unobtrusive. So of course it had to be discontinued and replaced with something not as good - enter the Impulse, a product that gets nearly 25% one-star reviews on Amazon. The only option Fitbit makes that doesn't have to be a wristband, it doesn't count floors, and you have to pay an extra $20 for the clip that fits it.

The sad thing is that everything is moving to wristbands. But the wristbands are cheap and nasty - ugly silicone that doesn't breathe and that sticks to your skin. The only options are (you guessed it) to pay extra here and extra there so you get something that doesn't look like cheap and nasty blends of rubber and plastic, so before you know it you're the wrong side of $500 for a watch you have to charge every few days. I must admit I rather like the idea behind some of the older Garmin watches, that take a coin cell that can last a year before needing to be replaced and that you can buy just about anywhere. Some of Garmin's higher end watches look very nice but they come with hefty price tags - the top model of the latest Fenix 6X pushes north of $1000. I can imagine it looking very nice to wear but the trouble with a watch is that it fails any need to be universal. For me if I'm going to choose a watch I want it to be something I won't be ashamed to wear to events where I want to dress up a bit but at the same time I want something I won't be afraid to wear when I'm digging through gallons of cellulose insulation or pulling down a ceiling or something. A cheap watch looks out of place when dressed up and I don't really want a $1000+ watch on my wrist when I'm scraping wallpaper or pulling plaster down from ceilings and walls. So it's doubly sad that devices like the One are disappearing.

What I'm probably going to end up doing is choosing something based on its functionality knowing it will be a watch with a replaceable band, then replacing the band with a custom thing I can botch together to make it into a clip anyway. Then I can clip it on my belt.
      "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley

"If you love me, obey my commandments" - Jesus Christ

The Bible comes as a complete package. If we want to pluck verses out of context so make them mean what we want them to mean, if we want to ignore the passages that are inconvenient to our outlook, we should be intellectually honest enough to throw our Bibles in the trash and admit we are following Crowley and not Christ.

5. Likes Lämmchen liked this post