Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
25 Therefore there arose a discussion on the part of John’s disciples with a Jew about purification. 26 And they came to John and said to him, “Rabbi, He who was with you beyond the Jordan, to whom you have testified, behold, He is baptizing and all are coming to Him.” 27 John answered and said, “A man can receive nothing unless it has been given him from heaven. 28 You yourselves are my witnesses that I said, ‘I am not the Christ,’ but, ‘I have been sent ahead of Him.’ 29 He who has the bride is the bridegroom; but the friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly because of the bridegroom’s voice. So this joy of mine has been made full. 30 He must increase, but I must decrease.

31 “He who comes from above is above all, he who is of the earth is from the earth and speaks of the earth. He who comes from heaven is above all. 32 What He has seen and heard, of that He testifies; and no one receives His testimony."

I am working my way through the gospel of John in a study. When I looked up this passage, A.W. Pink observed of this passage that it tells us three things about the spiritual state of Judaism during this time period.
1. v.25 They were caught up in the external of their religion. You see the concern about washing and purification.
2. vs.26 They were jealous of the success of Jesus' early ministry. John's disciples noticed that the crowds were diminishing around them and going to Jesus.
3. vs.32 They rejected the testimony of the Savior
verse 32 says "What He has seen and heard, of that He testifies; and no one receives His testimony.

I would also add that John the Baptist understood his role and didn't express the same jealousy that his disciples did. He understood that his role would diminish. he says this in verse 30
"He must increase, but I must decrease."

Any other thoughts about this?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I believe that John was proclaiming Jesus as God and knew that his (John's) role was a minor one in the call to the people to return to God and His ways.

Top Bottom