Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
My local YMCA and museums are offering free admittance to furloughed US government employees during the shutdown.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
A few restaurants here are giving away free meals to those who show federal employee ids. I saw in the DC area they are giving a free beer away to them, too.

I hope they will be getting paid soon!

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
A few restaurants here are giving away free meals to those who show federal employee ids. I saw in the DC area they are giving a free beer away to them, too.

I hope they will be getting paid soon!
I hope this craziness ends soon

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My husband used to work for the government and one of the first things he was told was to save money for these types of occasions. I'm glad we listened because we went through a couple of furloughs...and had our daughter at the time too to feed. I don't think enough people plan for the future anymore or emergencies.

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Prayers for all those effected by the furlough :pray2:

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
My husband used to work for the government and one of the first things he was told was to save money for these types of occasions. I'm glad we listened because we went through a couple of furloughs...and had our daughter at the time too to feed. I don't think enough people plan for the future anymore or emergencies.
That's good you saved. I saw a woman with a mortgage and numerous kids on a show today and she was very stressed by this. Thankfully the show gave her $5000.00 which would pay her mortgage for 2 mos and her car payment.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
That's good you saved. I saw a woman with a mortgage and numerous kids on a show today and she was very stressed by this. Thankfully the show gave her $5000.00 which would pay her mortgage for 2 mos and her car payment.

She'll get her paycheck...I don't think they've ever voted to not return the pay to employees. We always got the money in the end.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
She'll get her paycheck...I don't think they've ever voted to not return the pay to employees. We always got the money in the end.
Yeah they get it but not before they run into problems, its a shame that they have to pay for Trumps temper tantrum

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yeah they get it but not before they run into problems, its a shame that they have to pay for Trumps temper tantrum

Trump isn't the only one to blame. All politicians are responsible for this!

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Trump isn't the only one to blame. All politicians are responsible for this!
To an extent yes,but he is the one saying if I dont get my way I will veto anything so effectively it is him who is to blame for this

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
To an extent yes,but he is the one saying if I dont get my way I will veto anything so effectively it is him who is to blame for this
I agree. I think he is now going to announce a National State of Emergency to get the wall. I heard it on tv.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Of course she'll get her paycheck..but when? In 6 mos or 2 years? 800,000 people are suffering because of Trump demanding a wall we don't need and costs way too much. You cannot deny that 800,000 people are suffering.
But does he care about them? Doesn't seem like it. I don't blame all politicians, I blame him. He started this mess.

TurtleHare

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Building the wall would cost a teeny weeny fraction of the budget that's comparable to my kid not wanting to pick up his one lego out of his thousands on the floor. The government power struggle is also comparable to men standing around comparing body sizes and gloating cuz that's all they are good for these days and don't give a crap about the American people who don't have all their wealth. Drain the swamp!

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Building the wall would cost a teeny weeny fraction of the budget that's comparable to my kid not wanting to pick up his one lego out of his thousands on the floor. The government power struggle is also comparable to men standing around comparing body sizes and gloating cuz that's all they are good for these days and don't give a crap about the American people who don't have all their wealth. Drain the swamp!
i agree with the latter part of what you said but 5 billion could do a lot more for the disabled and poor and homeless and many other needs that are neglected. 5 billion is a lot of money.

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The cry for boarder security is only a facade. If was truly a crisis it would of been at the top of ‘his’ list and dealt with when they had control of both houses. Also anyone who truly wants to deal with illegal immigration would approach the problem where the largest violations occur which is those overstaying their Visas.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Much wisdom.....

I fully realize financial difficulties can be very real.... and some of these government workers make very little.... and that folks particularly on low income (some of these folks don't make $2K a month) may have to live pretty much paycheck to paycheck.... I'm not ignorant or indifferent.

BUT being a responsible person means we have some savings or at least resources for just such a thing. Stuff happens. We can find ourselves suddenly out of work (happens to the best of folks), we can find ourselves with a health issue.... stuff happens. Whether our employer is some government agency or some private business or if we are self-employed. We are told to have 3 months income in some sort of accessable savings/investments. I'm not there yet but I'm working on it. And I have a line of credit I can tap at any time, actually enough to get by for over a year (but I'd be borrowing - okay if I'm actually employed and making money but the pay is DELAYED).

Yeah, there's irresponsibility on the part of the Congress here.... but is there ALSO irresponsibility on the part of employees? Is ALL the "blame" for some employees having some temporary economic hardships right now fall exclusively on the employer? NONE on the employee?

For some years, our congregation rented a building to a pre-school for low income families, 100% funded by the State of California. EVERY YEAR there would be some funding issue and there would be a month or two or three where they could not pay their rent, they always caught up (because the funding always came for the entire year, thus retroactively) but the church was delayed in getting the rent. What did we do? We put 4 months worth of rent in researve that we would use during those times. This was before my time here, but I'm sure it took a bit of time to build up that reserve but the church did. Hey, it's not rocket science. The government gets into these budget things.... stuff happens.... prepare as best as we can.

Again, I'm LOT letting the Congress of the hook here, they bear responsibility for why some families are struggling with the DELAYED pay... but the employees bear some responsibility, too.

Last edited:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Josiah brings up a great point that these people still HAVE jobs. If they worked in the private sector and found out one day that they were no longer needed at their position they would still have to find a way to feed and care for their families. That's their responsibility to be prepared. I know it's hard when you're first starting out and not making much. Most of us have been there. But when you see people with the latest iPhones you have to wonder why their priorities are messed up.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Thus we seehow the Republican plan of help works. These people are not at fault in any way and as far as savings go 95 per cent of Americans dont have any. Some because they do waste money but some because they dont have that much to begin with. When I do the Bountiful Blessings program I do not ask if they are at fault for their situation, I just help and many are grateful for that help. God help us all if that is to be the new criteria for helping people

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The ‘most’ vital element to boarder security is the boarder patrol personnel, which by the way has a high turnover rate, so Mr negotiator embarks on a plan that involves them not getting paid? Not smart. This is about ego (his self interest) rather than boarder security (the nation’s best interest).

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Thus we seehow the Republican plan of help works. These people are not at fault in any way and as far as savings go 95 per cent of Americans dont have any. Some because they do waste money but some because they dont have that much to begin with. When I do the Bountiful Blessings program I do not ask if they are at fault for their situation, I just help and many are grateful for that help. God help us all if that is to be the new criteria for helping people

If you move to a house next to a river and are told that the river has the potential to flood each year, you have the responsibility to do either one of two things...1: prepare for the flood or 2: move to an area that doesn't flood. It isn't your fault that the river floods but knowing that there is the potential for flooding every year brings about a personal responsibility.

For the people who work for the government...there is the potential for a government shutdown every year. If they don't want to prepare for the shutdown, like preparing for a potential flood, then they move which means go to the private sector for employment.

Top Bottom