Should I say something about the bus stop?

Inkachu

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
So we just found out where our son's bus stop is going to be for his first year of high school, and I'm none too pleased. It's a good 10-15 minute walk from our house, and his bus comes at 6:23am, which means all winter he'll be walking in complete darkness across town. What if it's raining/snowing? And then, the stop is supposedly going to be at the intersection of a very busy 4 lane highway and a side street, where there's not even a sidewalk to stand on, it's just a vacant lot on one side, and a parking lot on the other. Where are the kids supposed to stand?? Where's the bus going to pull over? I can't help wondering if the school (which is in another town) just pulled up a Google map of our town and randomly picked an intersection that looked convenient for the bus route. Should I contact the school and ask them if they're aware of how inappropriate this spot is for kids to be standing around? I also can't help feeling really uncomfortable at the idea of my kid walking through town at 6:00am in the dark...

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
So we just found out where our son's bus stop is going to be for his first year of high school, and I'm none too pleased. It's a good 10-15 minute walk from our house, and his bus comes at 6:23am, which means all winter he'll be walking in complete darkness across town. What if it's raining/snowing? And then, the stop is supposedly going to be at the intersection of a very busy 4 lane highway and a side street, where there's not even a sidewalk to stand on, it's just a vacant lot on one side, and a parking lot on the other. Where are the kids supposed to stand?? Where's the bus going to pull over? I can't help wondering if the school (which is in another town) just pulled up a Google map of our town and randomly picked an intersection that looked convenient for the bus route. Should I contact the school and ask them if they're aware of how inappropriate this spot is for kids to be standing around? I also can't help feeling really uncomfortable at the idea of my kid walking through town at 6:00am in the dark...
I would but dont expect them to change it.

Hammster

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

I lived a mile from my high school. If you lived within two miles, you walked. And it was a two lane, winding road.

That was over 30 years ago. I'm not saying don't complain. Just adding perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using my right thumb.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes

The school most likely did not choose the route, but the administration did (we had a separate building/phone number for that). I would call the administrative office and request that more bus stops be added, letting them know which would be the most convenient for your child. It's possible they will add your suggested stop to the route and if you know of other kids nearby, have their parents call to request as well.

Hebrews 11

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hate to say this but you may need to take him to the bus stop at least in the morning.

At one point we moved and I commuted my son to his old school every morning ,they gave us permission to do so since it was his last year there.

After enrolling my kids in Christian school I was the morning bus driver for many years because I had one in high school and one in 6th grade.
I enjoyed it and was glad I had time to be able to do it,it was our routine,looking back a long time ago I would turn back the clock and do it again.

Inkachu

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the responses, everyone. I did decide to email the school, so we'll see what happens. I did suggest that the bus make a very minor route change that wouldn't add any time to the commute, and would take care of all my concerns. I'm not asking for them to create an entirely new route, just have the bus come a few blocks closer to our house.

Hammster, I understand, I walked home from school or rode my bike to school many times as a kid. It's a different world now, though, we've got a huge drug/crime issue in our little town that has been completely out of control in the past few years. And a kid with a backpack that probably contains a cell phone or tablet, walking alone in the dark, with no adults around is just too much of a target; that's one of my big concerns. And we're not talking about neighborhood "rascals" here, we're talking about drug dealers with guns. We've had to install security lights and cameras around our house because we've been robbed three times in as many years. Honestly, I'd rather my son walk down a "winding two lane road" in the country than through these drug-infested areas of our town.

Hammster

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Why do you think a bus stop closer to home would protect your child?

Inkachu

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Hammster, because he wouldn't have to walk past some of the rougher areas of town. We live right off the town's main street, where there will be traffic and people, even at 6am, so I'd much rather he wait there for his bus. To get to the highway, he'd have to go through the areas of town that are nothing but ghetto shacks and drug dealers.

Thankfully, the school just called and said they had moved the bus stop!! I am so relieved :)

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Hammster, because he wouldn't have to walk past some of the rougher areas of town. We live right off the town's main street, where there will be traffic and people, even at 6am, so I'd much rather he wait there for his bus. To get to the highway, he'd have to go through the areas of town that are nothing but ghetto shacks and drug dealers.

Thankfully, the school just called and said they had moved the bus stop!! I am so relieved :)

Wow that is great news!

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I wouldn't call them. I would go up to the school in person and complain. It's harder for them to ignore you in person.

Hammster

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Awesome.

Inkachu

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I wouldn't call them. I would go up to the school in person and complain. It's harder for them to ignore you in person.

Thanks, but we live in another town (one reason for the loooong bus ride) so I can't just pop over to the school any old time. Anyway, the issue has been resolved!

Top Bottom