Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
They did not cause it nor did they claim it and say they would be proud to do it. Trump is like a child who didnt get his way and the schoolyard bully.

But they could have ended it.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The Democrats INSIST they will support NOTHING that grants even one cent to the wall. Anything with anything for the wall is "dead on arrival."

This undeniably proves which "side" is responsible for the shut down. Which side has officially declared NO COMPROMISE WHATSOEVER, no matter what.

See see the Republicans today offering two compromises.... but they are "dead" because the Dems will not compromise.... at all... not one cent.... no matter what.

Will the press note this? Of course not.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The Democrats INSIST they will support NOTHING that grants even one cent to the wall. Anything with anything for the wall is "dead on arrival."

This undeniably proves which "side" is responsible for the shut down. Which side has officially declared NO COMPROMISE WHATSOEVER, no matter what.

See see the Republicans today offering two compromises.... but they are "dead" because the Dems will not compromise.... at all... not one cent.... no matter what.

Will the press note this? Of course not.

I believe they realize that the longer this goes on the worse it makes Trump look. And more important than the wall is getting rid of Trump, so they won't allow him to fulfill a campaign promise. That would be wildly popular with his base and possible lead to four more years of him.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It is hard to say if it will make Trump look better or worse if this lingers on. Which way that goes depends mainly on how it is sold to the public.

But I agree with you that the Democrats are unwilling to give the president even a small victory--regardless of what he gives them in compromise--by allowing parts of the wall to he built. They may, however, think of a way to get what he offers them in a compromise, such as something with DACA, while still blocking the construction of the wall even after the funds are appropriated .

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Personally I think the wall is a stupid idea. That said, if it was a campaign promise and the voters opted for that package there's a stronger case to be made for funding it than there is for digging in heels and refusing to fund it.

Whether I or the Democrats or anyone else think it's a stupid idea, the money involved is sufficiently trivial given the total government budget that causing a shutdown over it does seem absurd. And as Josiah said, if one side is looking to come to an agreement and the other is simply refusing to budge at all, it's rather curious that the first side is the one likened to a petulant child.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
But they could have ended it.
So the answer is to appease the bully rather than make him retract it? I believe that he should be brought up on charges and I think as this goes on that will become a much more popular idea

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
And as Josiah said, if one side is looking to come to an agreement and the other is simply refusing to budge at all, it's rather curious that the first side is the one likened to a petulant child.

... the libs have the press, and they will spin this any way the libs want.

Will the Americans see through this? Will they "hear" Nancy Polosi insist that there will be NO COMPROMISE NO MATTER WHAT and realize that means she won't compromise? Or will the press convince most that this means it's all the Republican's stubborn fault?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
So the answer is to appease the bully rather than make him retract it? I believe that he should be brought up on charges and I think as this goes on that will become a much more popular idea

Charges of what? That he wanted a wall and the other side was adamant about doing anything the President wanted...even if they wanted a wall when Obama was in office? It doesn't make sense.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
... the libs have the press, and they will spin this any way the libs want.

Will the Americans see through this? Will they "hear" Nancy Polosi insist that there will be NO COMPROMISE NO MATTER WHAT and realize that means she won't compromise? Or will the press convince most that this means it's all the Republican's stubborn fault?

The "libs have the press" hu? So, Fox News is now liberal? That must have happened overnight because it wasn't the last time I looked

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The "libs have the press" hu? So, Fox News is now liberal? That must have happened overnight because it wasn't the last time I looked

Fox is nice..... and there is some balance on talk radio.... but most get their news from TV or for older folks, newspapers. I don't think Fox news or Rush Limbaugh are major factors.

Only 7% of professional journalists are Republicans, and that includes Fox News, talk show hosts, etc. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ade-ago/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.055f890199fd

The Center for Public Integrity (a non-partisan organization) identified 430 individuals working in journalism who contributed to either candidate between January 2015 and August 2016. Of the $396,000 they contributed, 96 percent ($382,000) went to Clinton, and 4 percent (about $14,000) went to Trump.

Yeah.. Fox and some "talk radio" may keep journalists from being 100% liberal.... but it seems, not by much.

- Josiah

Last edited:

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Charges of what? That he wanted a wall and the other side was adamant about doing anything the President wanted...even if they wanted a wall when Obama was in office? It doesn't make sense.
By keeping the govt shut down rather than opening it and then negotiating he is causing damage to the safety and security of the USA

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
By keeping the govt shut down rather than opening it and then negotiating he is causing damage to the safety and security of the USA

There is supposed to be a Senate vote today...if they don't agree and don't end the shut down should charges be brought up against all of them as well?

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
There is supposed to be a Senate vote today...if they don't agree and don't end the shut down should charges be brought up against all of them as well?

Everything changes if there is a terrorist attack and it could have been prevented if the shutdown hadn't happened. It would take things to a whole different level

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Everything changes if there is a terrorist attack and it could have been prevented if the shutdown hadn't happened. It would take things to a whole different level

Don't let the media lead you to you think that we're a helpless country during the shutdown!

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Don't let the media lead you to you think that we're a helpless country during the shutdown!

When four former homeland security chiefs are calling for an end to the shutdown due to how it is affecting national security? I would think they would know

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
When four former homeland security chiefs are calling for an end to the shutdown due to how it is affecting national security? I would think they would know

Is the current Homeland Security Chief calling for an end without a wall?--the one who would know best?

My recollection is, no.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Is the current Homeland Security Chief calling for an end without a wall?--the one who would know best?

My recollection is, no.
Again with the wall? Even though it has been shown that there are more effective ways to stop illegal immigration. Guess what, his support is eroding and many are seeing him for exactly what he is and its not smart nor a patriot

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Lets talk about non starters, you say it is reasonable for Trump to demand his wall, is it not just as reasonable to look at what those who should know are saying when they say we dont need it? A leader is supposed to lead not behave like a bully

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

In an article I read, they weren't afraid of terrorists but financial security harming the national security of the nation.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Lets talk about non starters, you say it is reasonable for Trump to demand his wall, is it not just as reasonable to look at what those who should know are saying when they say we dont need it? A leader is supposed to lead not behave like a bully

Past Democrats were all for the wall under past Presidents. Now they say we don't need it now that Trump wants it?It wasnt the Dems making it up, it is based on studies one of which was done by INS

Top Bottom