Does Christianity cause the most conflict of all religions?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Does Christianity cause the most conflict of all religions? I mean, we have a lot of denominations that argue. Do other religions have so much strife within?

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Does Christianity cause the most conflict of all religions? I mean, we have a lot of denominations that argue. Do other religions have so much strife within?

No.

The only religion that clearly has making war a part of their corpus of beliefs is Islam. Other religions may tolerate wars under very limited conditions, but all other religions are essentially pacifistic.

What we have in all religions is POLITICIANS, leaders in secular government, who are smart. Who realize that faith can be a very powerful force in the lives of believers. And politics is the art of power. Throughout history and in virtually every secular nation, the government has abused religion and faith for its own purposes.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
That's certainly true, but if the OP was referring only to bickering within religions, it still isn't clear that Christianity would take the prize. Every other one of the worlds great religions has the equivalent of denominations (although most Christians seldom notice that fact) and some of these are truly violent towards the other ones. Once again, Islam comes immediately to mind.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
That's certainly true, but if the OP was referring only to bickering within religions, it still isn't clear that Christianity would take the prize. Every other one of the worlds great religions has the equivalent of denominations (although most Christians seldom notice that fact) and some of these are truly violent towards the other ones. Once again, Islam comes immediately to mind.

Ah, yes, if the OP is speaking of disagreements WITHIN the religion.....

When I took World Religions in college (a secular university), the prof stated that of all the major religions of the world, Christianity is the most united. But nope, it is NOT true (and has NEVER been true) that ALL Christians are in TOTAL agreement on ALL matters of faith and practice. A lot of it but not all of it. In MY own humble, fallible and fairly worthless opinion, SOME of that disagreement doesn't matter much.... some of it does.

And I think ATTITUDE has a lot to do with it. I may disagree with my Catholic friends on a tiny number of things (I probably accept all but a dozen or so of the 2,865 points in its current Catechism)... BUT I accept Catholics as my FULL, EQUAL in very sense, brothers and sisters in Christ with whom I'll be spending eternity in heaven by the grace and mercy of Christ.... I accept their denomination as fully valid (indeed, I hold it in much esteem), I consider their clergy and sacraments as fully valid. It's not mutual, of course, but that's okay. My discussions are about those FEW things that our faith communities disagree upon .... but it's a discussion between brothers, not enemies.... mutual because we both agree that truth matters and that agreement on ALL matters of dogma is a worthy goal.

- Josiah

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Jesus said in John 3:19 it is because the world loves the darkness rather than the light. That is why the world and its religions hate Jesus

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Have you ever looked at Islam? It is rife with killing those who disagree with their way just within the spectrum of its belief system.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm sorry. I did intend for this topic to say "internal conflicts".

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I find internal conflicts a good thing, creates great emphasis on something other congregations may never pay attention to, I mean the Bible is pretty lengthy, the Jews only have half, Islam has none but hold to the Quran, we Christians have much reading to do... more than any religion, so we all have our parts in the body.
Now as for the question, no, any believer knows well that those who live by the sword die by the sword.
We had a difficult past of burning each other as heretics, which is very awful, and others who fought in the name of Christianity but these days we have all calmed down.
Islam is and always had been the culprit of warfare, their evil literature declares it.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I find internal conflicts a good thing

I agree...

It tends to be how error is found ... and perhaps corrected. We are repeatedly told that false teachings and false teachers WILL arise.... we are repeatedly told to beware of such and of those "in sheep's clothing." We are ESPECIALLY warned of those who "deny the Christ" ie deny that Jesus is the Savior.

But I also think ATTITUDE has a lot to do with this. Correcting error is the same as correcting sin.... attitude is often the key.

On the other hand, I think we need to yield "slack" where we aren't talking about dogma and especially where we simply are talking about various customs and practices. I see denominations a bit like restaurants.... around here, there is a rich variety of cuisines - French, Mexican (several types of those), Chinese (several types of those), Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese, Filipino, Peruvian, Chilian, Argentinian, Cuban, Irish, German, Polish and more - and that's just within 5 miles or so of my home. Very different... all very good and often nutrious. All good. I may prefer some to others but I affirm all that are healthy (well, relatively so). I think one reason why Christianity is doing better in the USA than in Europe generally is we have this diversity that is often lacking in Europe where one denomination tends to dominate in a geographical area. Frankly, I think most denominations offer up some good stuff.... and I think most denominations can learn from others.

- Josiah

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
But is the "learning" between denominations necessarily "good"? Learning is not knowledge or affirmation of what is good. Perhaps there is something to be learned from the unity of European churches, even though we may not be in agreement with the dogma/doctrine of such.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
The internal conflicts in Islam are legendary and long lasting. For a thousand years the Sunni's and Shiite's have been killing each other because of differences in the Hadith (the way).

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
The internal conflicts in Islam are legendary and long lasting. For a thousand years the Sunni's and Shiite's have been killing each other because of differences in the Hadith (the way).
Very true!

Top Bottom