Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
The United States has really changed from being a Christian nation to one that is straying. What do predict will happen in the next decade concerning Christianity in the United States? Will it continue to go down the wrong path or will Christianity prevail?

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think the USA is following in the footsteps of Europe, a few decades behind. And that doesn't bode well.

BUT I think the diversity of churches here and the historic LACK of state involvement could help here. We're not dealing with a political issue of a state church and church taxes; we don't have the equalization of Christianity with the state denomination of that country. This has always been a country of enormous diversity and choices.

I suspect we'll see a LOT more house churches and a lot fewer traditonal building-on-the-corner churches. Big mega churches will continue but I think the great majority of Christians will be in small fellowships, most not meeting in distinctive buildings at all.

I suspect we'll find far fewer who are active members of some church (even a house church) but the ones who are are more dedicated, more active (I think we're already seeing that rather powerfully). The Voice of the Church may be no less than now, just with fewer and more faithful people.

I think "Lite Christianity" (so popular today) will die. It will be replaced by fellowships that believe something and that belief is what ties them. That and their LOVE for each other.

I think the internet is going to play an increasing role. Denominations may be more about their internet ministry than history. LOTS of Christians will "connect" with a denomiantion via the 'net. For some time, the LCMS was known as "the Church of the Lutheran Hour" because far more Americans knew Lutheranism from that once HUGELY popular radio show than from its congregations; I think something similar is just ahead.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The United States has really changed from being a Christian nation to one that is straying. What do predict will happen in the next decade concerning Christianity in the United States? Will it continue to go down the wrong path or will Christianity prevail?

I hate to say it, but I think it will basically cease to be noticed in everyday life. There will of course still be churches, but overt, open, references to Christian belief, holidays, and so on will be as much out of the line of vision of the average person as Judaism is now. Oh yes, it will be known to have followers, and everybody will be acquainted with some of them, but that's about it. However, a decade is a short period of time, so this might take a little longer.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
The last time the US had a majority Christian society was actually before it became a nation. The time period was between 1730 and 1740. By the time we got to the Revolution, we were already slipping. By the early 1800s many intra-biblical cults were starting via preachers like Charles Finney. These preachers rejected the Sovereignty of God and placed emphasis upon human will as the means of attaining salvation. Cults like the Mormons emerged. Wickedness at federal levels down to local townships prevailed while people who were Christian in name only used moralism to gain socio/economic political power. This method of power mongering has spread and the guise of Christianity has been removed.
Why are Christians so shocked? Did they fail to see the corruption in their midst?

JRT

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
No
The last time the US had a majority Christian society was actually before it became a nation. The time period was between 1730 and 1740. By the time we got to the Revolution, we were already slipping.

At the time of the Revolution historians and demographers indicate that the settlers/colonists were nominally Christian in the sense that most derived from Europe. However only about 10% were actually "churched" in the sense of being members of a congregation. Many of the elite were deists rather than theists.

In modern times we have witnessed a large block of Christians throw their support to a political leader who is a reprehensible human being in order to gain some political traction. On Christian sites I regularly see Christians treating fellow citizens like trash. I agree that Christianity in the USA might very well be in its death throes. I see us as becoming increasingly marginalized and as so often happens with marginalized groups we will become insular and hostile of everyone on the outside and suspicious of those within. I see hope in some Christian voices but I am not optimistic.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
There are LOTS of doomsday Christians around...

And looking at the present Europe and probably near future USA, I can see why.

But maybe being in a post-Christian world just means we're a lot like the pre-Christian world. You know, when Christians were known for their love... when Christians converted millions to the faith... when Christians were proud to die for their faith.... Hum.... MAYBE the issue isn't how much secular power Christians have or how many behinds are in the seats.... or how much the secular government plays to us.... maybe what matters is.... something else?

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
At the time of the Revolution historians and demographers indicate that the settlers/colonists were nominally Christian in the sense that most derived from Europe. However only about 10% were actually "churched" in the sense of being members of a congregation. Many of the elite were deists rather than theists.
This is true, although the low population density in many parts of the colonies accounts for some of it.

In modern times we have witnessed a large block of Christians throw their support to a political leader who is a reprehensible human being in order to gain some political traction.
Now we need a poll to see which leader the forum thinks that might be. There are so many possibles!

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married

In modern times we have witnessed a large block of Christians throw their support to a political leader who is a reprehensible human being in order to gain some political traction. On Christian sites I regularly see Christians treating fellow citizens like trash. I agree that Christianity in the USA might very well be in its death throes. I see us as becoming increasingly marginalized and as so often happens with marginalized groups we will become insular and hostile of everyone on the outside and suspicious of those within. I see hope in some Christian voices but I am not optimistic.
I welcome the revelation of the tares. Elect Christians may be persecuted very soon in the US. In our weakness Christ becomes strong. There is no allegiance by the elect to any other Kingdom except the Kingdom of God.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
God always keeps a remnant of his people for himself and the church will always prevail. Perhaps not a denomination, but the true church prevails

Top Bottom