What do you appreciate about other denominational beliefs/churches?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
We've seen enough bashing of what others believe so this will be a refreshing change.

Is there something about a certain denomination that you appreciate or admire? Maybe their reverence toward God? Maybe open communion? What things do you like? No dislikes here are necessary.

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm kind of a hybrid between Eastern Orthodoxy and Lutheranism. I'm a very high church Lutheran appreciating all of the smells and bells. I would also prefer a historic episcopacy polity.

Something like the Ukrainian Lutheran Church would be awesome! Ukrainian Lutheran Church - Wikipedia

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
A former neighbor of mine was EO and stood for 3 hours for their Easter service. Although I can't stand for 3 hours like that and be alert, I do appreciate that someone has so much love and reverence for God to be able to do that :)

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
ROMAN CATHOLIC -

I like the liturgical/sacramental aspect
I like that this denomination generally has done an EXCELLENT job at protecting and promoting orthodox Christianity (at nearly all points)
I like the strong pro-family, pro-life morality and for having the GUTS to stand up for biblical morality, regardless
I like the outstanding system of parish lower education (colleges, not so much)
I like the social activism (everyone talks the talk, the RCC tends to walk the walk)
I like how Catholicism at least attempts to be a "whole life" thing, and not just a Sunday hour thing (Having been to historic Catholic countries, you sense the Catholicism everywhere, always).
I like the "international" flair that exists here; it is part of something VERY diverse and international.

BAPTIST - Hard to generalize since there are a zillion forms of this faith tradition, but generally

I like their evangelism zeal; every denomination talks about this, Baptists tend to actually DO it.
I like their emphasis on Christian education, Bible Study, Sunday School.... these folks study God's Word.
I like that while they are NOT minimalists, they do tend to stay focused on what matters above all: Jesus
I like that Baptists folks pray... even the laity.... and with faith.

ANGLICAN - I'm thinking of conservative, traditional, 39 Articles Anglicanism

Probably no denomination does worship better...
I like that they have a keen sense of Tradition and tradition and "see" beyond self - without such trumping sound, biblical theology
I like the attempt (anyway) to notice the good in various faith communities
I like the "first wave" Protestant history here

REFORMED -

I like the strong, passionate monergism
I like that these are theology folks (a characteristic they share with Lutherans); theology matters
I like that Calvin (like Luther) was a reformer, not a revolutionary. He had no desire to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I'll expand later, as time permits....

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
A former neighbor of mine was EO and stood for 3 hours for their Easter service. Although I can't stand for 3 hours like that and be alert, I do appreciate that someone has so much love and reverence for God to be able to do that :)

Oh I understand completely. I have plantar fasciitis and pews are a must. I talked to the Orthodox priest about this and he gave me his blessing to seat when I needed but they only have benches running along the outer wall and get taken up very quickly.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I grew up in the Methodist church. The emphasis on discipleship and service is admireable.

Oh, I've heard that Lutherans can be nice. :=D:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I like the denoms that have open communion, I also like those that ast as we expect Christians to act and they are in every denom, there are many things to be admred depending on the denom. Some have strong family values, some preach the cross non stop. some have tradition and beauty in their service

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Our Episcopal Cathedral has the best liturgy.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
ROMAN CATHOLIC -

I like that this denomination generally has done an EXCELLENT job at protecting and promoting orthodox Christianity (at nearly all points)
I like the strong pro-family, pro-life morality and for having the GUTS to stand up for biblical morality, regardless
I like the outstanding system of parish lower education (colleges, not so much)
I like the social activism (everyone talks the talk, the RCC tends to walk the walk)
I like how Catholicism at least attempts to be a "whole life" thing, and not just a Sunday hour thing (Having been to historic Catholic countries, you sense the Catholicism everywhere, always).
I like the "international" flair that exists here; it is part of something VERY diverse and international.

BAPTIST - Hard to generalize since there are a zillion forms of this faith tradition, but generally

I like their evangelism zeal; every denomination talks about this, Baptists tend to actually DO it.
I like their emphasis on Christian education, Bible Study, Sunday School.... these folks study God's Word.
I like that while they are NOT minimalists, they do tend to stay focused on what matters above all: Jesus
I like that Baptists folks pray... even the laity.... and with faith.

ANGLICAN - I'm thinking of conservative, traditional, 39 Articles Anglicanism

Probably no denomination does worship better...
I like that they have a keen sense of Tradition and tradition and "see" beyond self - without such trumping sound, biblical theology
I like the attempt (anyway) to notice the good in various faith communities
I like the "first wave" Protestant history here

REFORMED -

I like the strong, passionate monergism
I like that these are theology folks (a characteristic they share with Lutherans); theology matters
I like that Calvin (like Luther) was a reformer, not a revolutionary. He had no desire to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I'll expand later, as time permits....

METHODIST -
I'm not so familiar here but my impression....

I admire that these are folks who DO. Christianity seems defined not so much by what we think or say but what we DO. Good point...
These are very embracing folks, making it easy for seekers to enter...

More coming...

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

At 75, I am sitting more, but still doing 3 hours every Sunday 9-12...

Much more for the Service of Pascha (called Easter for you estrogen lovers!:))

I love the 5 Pointers for the fierceness of their faith...

The Lutherans for their quality of being salt of the earth in such a down-home manner...

The Roman Catholics for their steadfastness even in their errors...

Arsenios

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
One very mentionable fact that should not be passed by is
the presence of God's Grace in ALL who call upon Him,
in whatever manner they call on Him...
God is not stingy with His Grace...

And even small doses of this Grace...
Can keep a person turned toward God...
Maybe even especially the small doses...

Arsenios

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Catholicism imo takes praying very seriously more than any other church that I know of, I respect the order and traditional settings and I have never encountered a problem with the Church I grew up at and went to as a kid. The sermons are really good and the people are friendly and when I pray with everyone at the same time I get an overwhelming sense of comfort and Gods presence. I admit that the Catholic church always has a certain "home" feeling to me, it's very formal and and decent. Everything spoken is well said and calm, unlike other churches where they have to scream and yell and blow the speakers out.
I have very fond memories growing up in the church. It is a church that I know I will attend again and I look forward to it despite my venturing out and curiosity for other churches, i usually attend at least 3 or 4 times out of the year. Much respect for their concern for praying for the world! I am right them with them on that, this world needs prayer!
"For the sake of his sorrowful passion have mercy on us and on the whole world" always my favorite hymn, such a powerful sentence.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I hope no one will take exception to this.

I have worked with several people who are Jehovah's witnesses. One was my superior for a while and another was my subordinate for a while.

They both impressed me greatly with their honesty and hardworking approach to their employment but what is more.

They both were never smutty, never gossips, never cruel to those working under them, never difficult and insubordinate to those supervising them.

They were excellent examples of what a Christian ought to be as employees.

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I hope no one will take exception to this.

I have worked with several people who are Jehovah's witnesses. One was my superior for a while and another was my subordinate for a while.

They both impressed me greatly with their honesty and hardworking approach to their employment but what is more.

They both were never smutty, never gossips, never cruel to those working under them, never difficult and insubordinate to those supervising them.

They were excellent examples of what a Christian ought to be as employees.

I live in the Mecca of Mormonism and typically they are the same way.

Top Bottom