At what point were churches able to select their own pastors?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
In churches such as RC and EO (and more), their priests are sent to pastor churches without the congregations input. Am I correct in stating that first off?

My question for the thread concerns WHEN did it happen that congregations began to select their own pastors? Was it during Luther's time or did it began in churches before that?

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
In the Epistles we see elders chosen from within the church. No outside decisions from a denomination.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
In churches such as RC and EO (and more), their priests are sent to pastor churches without the congregations input. Am I correct in stating that first off?
I believe that's correct in the case of the RC (and some Protestant churches), but I don't know if it is true among EOs.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
In the Epistles we see elders chosen from within the church. No outside decisions from a denomination.

Is that in Titus or Timothy?

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Is that in Titus or Timothy?
Both. Paul gives instructions for choosing elders.
The Brethren churches (Mennonite Brethren in my case) all choose teaching elders as well as other elders with various gifts. This group acts as the shepherds of the congregation.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The Brethren churches (Mennonite Brethren in my case) all choose teaching elders as well as other elders with various gifts. This group acts as the shepherds of the congregation.

Are you equating "elders" to be the same role as "pastors" then? Just clarifying here.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

My question for the thread concerns WHEN did it happen that congregations began to select their own pastors? Was it during Luther's time or did it began in churches before that?

[MENTION=11]Lämmchen[/MENTION]

I strongly suspect this was the norm for the vast majority of churches for at least the first 3 or 4 centuries of Chrsitianity. In fact, in my Doctrine class, the teacher even mentioned that for many centuries, there were no seminaries and really no appointments; pastors rose up within the congregation they served. Some young man was noted as having the gifts and heart for this and would be mentored by the current pastor and slowly phased into service, at some point being ordained; most pastors serving in the congregation they were borned into and served only there until their death. There were bishops of course (and even in the 4th Century, supervised pastors and congregations) but they typically played little role in who became pastor where.

In EUROPE, it is still the norm for pastors to be placed by the denomination (albeit certainly with the congregation taking a role). Catholic, Lutheran and Anglican churches in Europe are all episcopal in government, and many are still State Churches, literally a agency of the government, pastors often civil servants. A century or so ago, this was true of all European nations but some (such as Sweden) "spun off" the church. So it was not JUST the bishop who placed pastors, but the secular government often had a role, too. Exception would be Scotland, Holland, some parts of Swizerland where Reformed churches once were common, they aren't episcopal.

Luther accepted episcopal governance in the church, and while IMO it violates his "two kingdoms" theology, he accepted secular government's role. He talks about the local prince at least having a veto over pastoral appointments. And in the Reformation, he often appealed to princes.

Lamm, the very congregational (and rather democratic) concept that WE have is very American. The Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod was born out of a rejection of the secular states' intervention in the church, it forcing certain theologies to be taught, mandating what Confirmation materials, etc., could be used and at times firing Confessional pastors. In the 1830's, the USA was known internationally as a nation of freedom of religion and separation of church and state, and that's why those pastors and laity LEFT Germany and homesteaded together in Perry County, MO. The whole thing was to evade government. And, especially here in the USA, these Lutherans became GREAT admirers of democracy. Walther himself spoke glowingly of the New England Town Meeting. By the time the LCMS is officially founded, the goverance is very UNEuropean and very American. The LCMS is built from the bottom - up, a lot of autonomy given to the local parish. Pastors were seen a bit like a mayor in that the PEOPLE choose their own. Walther even took this so far as to say that the PEOPLE of the church could dismiss their pastor, even against the advise of the denomination. The LCMS understood the authority to be with the LAITY and they, freely, gave the public exercise of such to THEIR called pastor. So, in the LCMS, it's the congregation that CALLS the pastor, the denomination doesn't place them.

This is called CONGREGATIONAL government. And it was perfected in America largely by former Reformed churches. This began in earnest in New England USA. Each congregation was autonomous and self-governing, choosing their own pastor and supervising him directly. Denominations were simply agencies to aid in mutual way, for example to do mission work or support colleges but not to "rule" over the member congregations. The United Church of Christ traces it's history to this very AMERICAN movement and is a prime example of this type of governance. While the LCMS is not extreme here, we are definately congregational in government. And this is soley because of the founders being HUGE admirers of American democracy and passionate about separation of church and state.

BTW, I can't speak for the EOC, but in Catholicism, I don't think it's common for the Bishop to place someone "without congregational input." There wasn't a vacancy in my Catholic parish during my time there, but as I understand it, Bishops go to some lengths to know the needs and desires of a parish.... it would be foolish to place a man not welcomed into a parish. The ELCA has a somewhat episcopal government but there too, the Bishop would never just send someone to a congregation.... the congregation is involved.

Blessings on your Epiphany celebration...

- Josiah

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
In EUROPE, it is still the norm for pastors to be placed by the denomination (albeit certainly with the congregation taking a role). Catholic, Lutheran and Anglican churches in Europe are all episcopal in government, and many are still State Churches, literally a agency of the government, pastors often civil servants. A century or so ago, this was true of all European nations but some (such as Sweden) "spun off" the church. So it was not JUST the bishop who placed pastors, but the secular government often had a role, too. Exception would be Scotland, Holland, some parts of Swizerland where Reformed churches once were common, they aren't episcopal.
It should be noted that having an episcopal polity does not necessarily mean that the congregation has no part in the selection process. In the Episcopal Church USA and the Continuing Anglican churches, there are the same search committees, interviews, parish votes, and so on that are typical of the non-liturgical, non-episcopal denominations. This led to one crusty bishop, I recall, who groused that his church is--in reality--too "democratic."

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It should be noted that having an episcopal polity does not necessarily mean that the congregation has no part in the selection process. In the Episcopal Church USA and the Continuing Anglican churches, there are the same search committees, interviews, parish votes, and so on that are typical of the non-liturgical, non-episcopal denominations. This led to one crusty bishop, I recall, who groused that his church is--in reality--too "democratic."

Exactly.

MY understanding even in very episcopal goverment denominations (like the RCC, Episcopal/Anglican, ELCA, etc), the new pastor isn't just plunked down in the church. The Bishop would be setting himself up for a LOT of problems (and probably hate mail) if he did that! No one wants a "bad fit" between pastor and people. Now... there is a difference in degree between say the UCC and RCC but never is the Bishop simply moving clergy around willy-nilly.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
and yet that is what happens in the Methodist denominations! :cry:

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
and yet that is what happens in the Methodist denominations! :cry:

... then MY take would be they have some.... well..... inept bishops. Just not wise.

Now.... I think there IS a problem in denominations with bad pastors. It is HOPED these are filtered out before they get ordained... folks who just lack the heart, gifts, skills, faith to be a pastor (or are just plain lazy). I think ALL denominations have some of these "problems." In the episcopal government, there WOULD be a temptation to move them around and spread the pain among congregations. In MY denomination, a really bad case CAN have their certification removed but in reality, the "bar" to do that is so high that it rarely happens. What DOES happen, I'm told, is that bad pastors get black listed. When a congregation needs a pastor, the bishop sends them a list of potential men (and they just never include the "bad" guys).... and if the congregation nominates a man (and they can) the bishop can (and if necessary will) give his evaluation of that pastor and as I understand it, they can be frank. So, we have a number of pastors who are officially certified but aren't serving in a church and likely never will. But if a congregation has one of these.... well.... there's not a lot that can be done about it in our congregational form of government, the situaion has to be really extreme.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Are you Methopdist? If not you are off base and if you are you should know better. There is a staff pastor parish committee which gives input on their current pastor and the traits they would like to see in a new one. True they are appointed but not without input and once there they are reviewed twice a year by the committee.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Are you equating "elders" to be the same role as "pastors" then? Just clarifying here.
Yes. The elders are the shepherds of the flock. They are ordained by God to care for His sheep.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

Saint Paul gave saint Timothy instructions for saint Timothy to choose elders. There's no mentions of votes, voters, or the congregation choosing anybody.

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
In the EOC, Bishops still tonsure Readers, Ordain Deacons and Presbyters, and conjointly elevate to the Episcopacy those qualified...

In many settings, those elevated are "home grown", and often can and do abide in their home settings...

Others, especially in our mobile society, move about and serve at the wish of the hierarchs, the Bishops, the Metropolitans, and Patriarchs...

But the important thing that the EOC keeps in mind is that the Church HAS organizations within it, by which it functions as the Body of Christ...

And it IS NOT the organization is possesses...

We are an organic ecclesial Body...

We are NOT an organizational structure...

Arsenios

Top Bottom