Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
What does everyone think? Personally I think it is bad when you call somewhere and you have to press a number for english. I have nothing against those who speak other languages but if they are coming to this country then I think the least they could do is learn the language.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Why have an official language? Do you really want government officials interfering in how a business, an individual, or a family chooses to communicate their ideas?

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't want an official gub'ment mandated language, but I do agree that people immigrating here should learn to communicate effectively in English since that's what the majority speak.

dogs4thewin

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Why have an official language? Do you really want government officials interfering in how a business, an individual, or a family chooses to communicate their ideas?
What you do with your family and friends at your own house is your business, but if you are going to live here you need to know how to communiate with others in a business setting using the common language in THAT country.

Last edited:

dogs4thewin

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
What does everyone think? Personally I think it is bad when you call somewhere and you have to press a number for english. I have nothing against those who speak other languages but if they are coming to this country then I think the least they could do is learn the language.
I agree with that 1000%.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
If I ever moved to another country to live, I know I'd have to learn their language. So, why do people refuse to learn English?

I would love an official language so I voted yes.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
If I ever moved to another country to live, I know I'd have to learn their language. So, why do people refuse to learn English?

I would love an official language so I voted yes.

I do not think that England has English as their official language, I know that Australia does not. English is just the language that we speak. People who come here to live learn it if they want to and most do want to.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
We dont have it either but any more you hear spanish and quite a few other things as well. Even the schools have had to have spanish, at least some of them, more and more this is happening and I think you learn english in an english speaking country.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

Australia doesn't have an official language
Wikipedia said:
Australia has no official language, but is largely monolingual with English being the de facto national language. Australian English has a distinctive accent and vocabulary. According to the 2011 census, 76.8% of people spoke only English at home. Other languages spoken at home included Mandarin 1.6%, Italian 1.4%, Arabic 1.3%, Cantonese 1.2% and Greek 1.2%.[1]

A considerable proportion of first- and second-generation migrants are bilingual. It is believed that there were almost 400 Australian Aboriginal languages at the time of first European contact. Only about 70 of these languages have survived and all but 30 of these are now endangered. An indigenous language remains the main language for about 50,000 (0.25%) people. Australia has a sign language known as Auslan, which is the main language of about 6,500 deaf people.
-- from this source

dogs4thewin

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
We dont have it either but any more you hear spanish and quite a few other things as well. Even the schools have had to have spanish, at least some of them, more and more this is happening and I think you learn english in an english speaking country.
I mean what you speak at home or out with your family and friends is your business, but if you are going to come here learn to speak English when talking to others in business.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I mean what you speak at home or out with your family and friends is your business, but if you are going to come here learn to speak English when talking to others in business.

I don't think anyone is demanding that people eliminate their mother tongue. Communication is key in doing business, having relationships, etc...if people refuse to communicate with others by not learning how to speak to them, then they are the ones failing.

Top Bottom