Power/Might of Satan

Wilhemena

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Satan has the power to tempt us into sin and that is apparent in the story of Adam and Eve where they were tempted into sinning and since then we all face that power at some point in our lives. The line of the song has two different lyrics with one saying To save us all from Satan's power and the other of To save our souls from Satan's power when we had gone astray and there is the part about temptation into sin when we had gone astray. Satan has a goal of leading us all astray so that we do not follow God into salvation but instead align with him so that he mocks the Father even more with our rebellion.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
*Bump. Hoping this gets traction :)

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Satan's power over us only comes through our consent to sin...
And the more we consent, the more power he has over us...
If one repents from consenting to sin, the power of Satan ebbs...
But the more you continue in a sin, the more Satan has power over you...

When a repeated sin becomes a passion, we become very powerless over that sin...
Indeed, we can end up controlled by its demon...
Hence the value of exorcism for those demonically possessed...
The power to remove a demon is not commonly given to very many...

Arsenios

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
When you look at how the devil tempted Jesus you see that he tries to appeal to pride and our flesh. He doesn't want you thinking about others than yourself.
Jesus referred to him as a murderer and a liar and Paul refers to him as a roaring lion.
His power shouldn't be under estimated. We need to remember to put on the full armor of the Lord and not to be naive

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
The devil is the source of all and any negative thinking imo especially when struggling through depression and worries. The Lord says do not want, and do not worry about what tomorrow brings, and "forgiveness" always sweeps away my negative thoughts of doubt.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The devil is the source of all and any negative thinking imo especially when struggling through depression and worries. The Lord says do not want, and do not worry about what tomorrow brings, and "forgiveness" always sweeps away my negative thoughts of doubt.

I actually don't believe the devil can put a thought into our heads. Of course, he can arrange some circumstances, but I don't think he can make me think anything nor read my thoughts.

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
I actually don't believe the devil can put a thought into our heads.
Of course, he can arrange some circumstances, but
I don't think he can make me think anything nor read my thoughts.

He doesn't need to read your thoughts - He can hear your words when you speak, or when we type or write... But especially spoken words...

And he can for sure see your response to events...

And he doesn't eat, drink or sleep...

And he has been doing this for some 5-6000 years or more...

Taking human beings to their destruction...

I think you are mostly right - He can incite you to action - He can hit you with an image and a thought and a passion...

And he can get others to provoke you in society...

And alone in the desert, he has to either come himself...

Or...

Come through your own imaginations...

Your primary war, as a Christian, is with him and his... Within yourself...

Arsenios

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
He doesn't need to read your thoughts - He can hear your words when you speak, or when we type or write... But especially spoken words...

And he can for sure see your response to events...

And he doesn't eat, drink or sleep...

And he has been doing this for some 5-6000 years or more...

Taking human beings to their destruction...

I think you are mostly right - He can incite you to action - He can hit you with an image and a thought and a passion...

And he can get others to provoke you in society...

And alone in the desert, he has to either come himself...

Or...

Come through your own imaginations...

Your primary war, as a Christian, is with him and his... Within yourself...

Arsenios

Would you say, then, that as Paul speaks of the "works of the flesh" he may have had in mind sin (committed or omitted) that have their root in Satan's influence? Or something else...?

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Would you say, then, that as Paul speaks of the "works of the flesh" he may have had in mind sin (committed or omitted) that have their root in Satan's influence? Or something else...?
Like the mind is poisoned? Because indeed sin does corrupt mans mentality.
I believe every negative thought is an influence from the evil one.

FredVB

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
People realized there was power of evil when there was world war and when planes were driven into the twin towers and other places to kill many people in 2001. There is the ongoing mind that continues to bring evil to this creation from God with us in it.

Satan was not spoken of by Jesus as much as hell was. The real threat to humanity is not coming to God as made possible through Christ and his work and atonement for us and going to hell then. Satan is working to keep people from coming to God in that way and have them perish. He is the god of this world, as he is called, and is as powerful as gods that people believe in are, but not at all so powerful to be competition to God the Almighty who has no limit, but Satan does not appear to people in direct visibility and won't until the world is ready for it, which it is being brought to very soon as God is dismissed by people generally. Until then it works better for Satan's efforts if he is dismissed as well. He is the accuser of people in this world, he is also the deceiver and the tempter, to have people led to sin, wickedness, and destructiveness effectively. Just through Christ to come to God is there escape from this. When we are in Christ with the relationship and love in how we live, we won't be subject to Satan's work in our lives, so we should continue that in Christ.

There is real evil, with sin, wickedness, and destructiveness from this real influence that is on far greater scale than almost any recognize, but can be seen with a real look at powerful players, large businesses and state governments in this world, from this real influence that could be recognized.

Last edited:
Top Bottom