Toblerone chocolate is Halal. Folks are mad. Next...

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
The link didn't work for me...so here is the one on CNN https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/19/europe/toblerone-halal-boycott-scli-intl/index.html

CNN really seems to be pushing the fact that there are some people getting offended over things. Whether that is 2 or 3 people we don't know. But they're making it into a huge deal like with the Christmas song that "some" people are offended by but I have yet to come across one of those such people.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Three cheers for Toblerone!

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The link didn't work for me...so here is the one on CNN https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/19/europe/toblerone-halal-boycott-scli-intl/index.html

CNN really seems to be pushing the fact that there are some people getting offended over things. Whether that is 2 or 3 people we don't know. But they're making it into a huge deal like with the Christmas song that "some" people are offended by but I have yet to come across one of those such people.

I'm not particularly offended by this decision on the part of Toblerone, but because the story comes to us from CNN, there's reason for caution. It is worth noting, however, that the article concerns unnamed and unnumbered comments posted on social media. Any implication that the "far Right" (whatever that should be taken to mean) or the AfD political party have taken some stand is unwarranted.

Last edited:

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Actually, I prefer Halal meat (and chocolate?). I once ordered a leg of lamb from a Halal market and it came in a few days later. Sooooo good. I'd never had one so tender and flavorful. But it was absolutely fresh. I tried not to dwell on how fresh

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

It seems more and more people are looking for a reason to be offended.

A few years back when I went to visit a Jewish friend for a barbecue he commented on the controversy about foods being halal and just confirmed I knew that his barbecue would be kosher. I figured that much, having eaten out with him previously.

I guess one version of it is that if one side of the political spectrum gets to have things banned by claiming to be offended they kinda lose the right when the other side does the same.

JRT

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
No
Kosher and Halal are so similar that Muslims and Jews will use the other if theirs is not available. For purely business reasons (a bigger market) it is worthwhile to Toblerone to get the certification.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Kosher and Halal are so similar that Muslims and Jews will use the other if theirs is not available. For purely business reasons (a bigger market) it is worthwhile to Toblerone to get the certification.

I think you're right. There are over a billion Muslims in the world. That's a significant market.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
It reminds me of when I lived in Michigan there was a significant Orthodox Jewish community in one area. The 7-11 in town changed their 'Slurpee' mix to make it Kosher. Incredible business move

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Not really.... I used to think that until I asked a Jewish friend about it and their response made it very clear there was more to it than that.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm not particularly offended by this decision on the part of Toblerone, but because the story comes to us from CNN, there's reason for caution. It is worth noting, however, that the article concerns unnamed and unnumbered comments posted on social media. Any implication that the "far Right" (whatever that should be taken to mean) or the AfD political party have taken some stand is unwarranted.

That's a good point, in the eyes of some anyone who is less than 100% accepting of every single aspect of the latest darling of the left must therefore be some kind of far-right nutjob.

Top Bottom