Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Matthew 7:13-14 NIV says this

3 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."

I was thinking about this as I was waiting for church to start Sunday morning. At the church I attend there is about 500 or so people in the third service. It makes me wonder how many people are truly saved and I wonder how many people who actually go to church and attend regularly are really believers. I can't tell a difference between people who come to church and claim to be saved and the general population who don't claim to follow him

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

3 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."

I was thinking about this as I was waiting for church to start Sunday morning. At the church I attend there is about 500 or so people in the third service. It makes me wonder how many people are truly saved and I wonder how many people who actually go to church and attend regularly are really believers. I can't tell a difference between people who come to church and claim to be saved and the general population who don't claim to follow him

I would like to literalize those vss a little:

3 “Enter through the narrow gate.
For wide is the gate and broad open is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.

14 But small is narrow the gate and narrow afflicted the road that leads to life, and only a few there be who find it."

Arsenios

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I would like to literalize those vss a little:

3 “Enter through the narrow gate.
For wide is the gate and broad open is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.

14 But small is narrow the gate and narrow afflicted the road that leads to life, and only a few there be who find it."

Arsenios

what do you interpret "afflicted" to mean?

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

John 16:33
These things I have spoken unto you,
that in me ye might have peace.
In the world ye shall have tribulation:
but be of good cheer;
I have overcome the world.

In the world you will have tribulation...

Afflicted means in tribulations...

Rom 5:3 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

Eph 3:13 Wherefore I desire that ye faint not at my tribulations for you, which is your glory.

2Th 1:4 So that we ourselves glory in you in the churches of God for your patience and faith in all your persecutions and tribulations that ye endure:

"Blessed are ye when men shall persecute you and say all manner of things against you falsely for My sake..."

It is the Way of the Cross...

And few indeed are they who manage to find it...

In the west, we think it was Christ's labors on the Cross that does it for us...

Few of us take it to mean personal suffering in afflictions willingly embraced...

Arsenios

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married

Then there is a problem with their salvqation. You cant tell the difference that means they are still in this world and not walking in the spirit. The narrow way with few finding it says it all. There are going to be only a few of each generation that are truly saved. I dont know know if that means a few hundred or a few thousand or whatever but I am sure it will be small compared to those who profess to be saved. You cannot serve two masters and if you are servving the world then you cant be serving the spirit

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

During the rite of communion as I am watching the faithful (and some perhaps not entirely faithful) receive the body and blood of the Lord I pray for them. I hear each say "amen" when the host of given with the words "The Body of Christ" and say "amen" again when they stand before the chalice and hear "The Blood of Christ" as they receive the precious blood of the Lord. They bow before receiving the host and the precious blood. To me it is a lesson in humility to see so many who confess Jesus as their Lord and Saviour.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

I agree as to the facts of the matter. What I am not sure about is why it should cause you any distress. We all know that there are people who are the sheep and then there are the goats. We know that there are people who think that going through the motions is what God demands. Most of my Catholic friends are that way.

Perhaps it would be better to think that them being there at all provides a better chance for some of these folks to someday have it dawn on them what is missing in their spiritual lives. If they were somewhere else, that would be less likely.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I doubt non believers go to church for their health.
The broad highway leads to destruction, I imagine this is speaking to religious folk with a corrupt gospel like Mormonism, JW, Islam or prosperity preaching Mega Churches, many will be led to slaughter by sheep in wolves clothing, the blind leading the blind.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I agree as to the facts of the matter. What I am not sure about is why it should cause you any distress. We all know that there are people who are the sheep and then there are the goats. We know that there are people who think that going through the motions is what God demands. Most of my Catholic friends are that way.

Perhaps it would be better to think that them being there at all provides a better chance for some of these folks to someday have it dawn on them what is missing in their spiritual lives. If they were somewhere else, that would be less likely.

I didn't say that it was causing me distress. I said I couldn't tell the difference. Maybe a lot more people including whole churches aren't truly saved.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I didn't say that it was causing me distress. I said I couldn't tell the difference. Maybe a lot more people including whole churches aren't truly saved.

It's not up to you to always tell the difference...that's God's job :) Only HE knows who has faith and who doesn't and that's okay. We are to try to determine who is a wolf in preaching to us because we don't want to be misled, but as for our neighbors, we won't truly know until our death or Jesus returns on Judgment Day.

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Matthew 3:14
“Enter in through the narrow gate.
For wide the gate
and broad the road
that leads to destruction,
and many enter therein.

But narrow the gate
and afflicted the road
that leads to Life,
and few there be
who find it."

You are right to see the mega-churches as broad gates, where one cannot tell much difference between those therein and those thereout...

In the time of Noah people were marrying and being given in marriage...

And nobody had so much as even a clue, all agreeing...

We should be as those appointed to death...

A spectacle to men and to angels...

Afflicted and scorned and cold...

Blessing in persecutions...

Take your time...

Narrow the Gate...

Afflicted the Way...

Take up your cross in Joy and Love...

And follow Him...

Arsenios

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I didn't say that it was causing me distress.
I know. I was trying to find a word that indicated some concern or questioning but not that it is a big time worry for you. Probably distress wasn't the best choice.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
2Co 11:24
Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one.

Arsenios

So, you are equated the narrow gate with persecution and hardship. Which makes it sound more works based theology to me. Like I need to suffer some in order to please God

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

1Co 4:11
Even unto this present hour
we both hunger, and thirst,
and are naked,
and are buffeted,
and have no certain dwellingplace;

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The Bible teaches (and our own observations confirm) that most don't believe in Christ as the Savior... and thus aren't saved.

WHY ultimately that is true is mystery...

BUT rather than getting lost in a bunch of unanswerable questions and vain philosophy, we should focus on what WE are to DO.... GO! Baptize! Teach! Love!

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
So, you are equated the narrow gate with persecution and hardship. Which makes it sound more works based theology to me. Like I need to suffer some in order to please God

Let's ask Paul, because my opinion and $5 will get you no change back at Starbucks:

and are naked,
and are buffeted,
and have no certain dwelling place...

Wherefore I beseech you,
Be ye followers of me.

The narrow way is askesis...
Denial of self...
Prayer
Fasting
Vigils in the night
Almsgiving
Labors
Suffering all...
Enduring all...
Glorifying God in all things...
Loving God and neighbor...

It is a kind of terminal condition of soul, I should think - Don't you?

Arsenios

Last edited:

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
So, you are equated the narrow gate with persecution and hardship.

That is how the world is overcome...

Christ: "For I have overcome the world..."

As followers of Christ, we too are to overcome the world...

Which makes it sound more works based theology to me.

Don't believe everything those sissies prattle on about! :)

Arsenios

Last edited:

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
The Bible teaches (and our own observations confirm) that most don't believe in Christ as the Savior... and thus aren't saved.

WHY ultimately that is true is mystery...

BUT rather than getting lost in a bunch of unanswerable questions and vain philosophy, we should focus on what WE are to DO.... GO! Baptize! Teach! Love!

and are naked,
and are buffeted,
and have no certain dwelling place...

Wherefore I beseech you,
Be ye followers of me.

He is beseeching them to enter the narrow Gate and the afflicted Way of Christ...
That Entry and that Way is up to each person's decisions...
Christ died for us all...

Top Bottom