WAS PETER ACCURSED ?

Doug

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Galatians 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

1:9 As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

Paul was cursing anyone who perverted the gospel of Christ that he was preaching.

Paul went up to Jerusalem.

2:2 And I went up by revelation, and communicated unto them that gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, but privately to them which were of reputation, lest by any means I should run, or had run, in vain.

2:3 But neither Titus, who was with me, being a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised:

2:4 And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage:

2:5 To whom we gave place by subjection, no, not for an hour; that the truth of the gospel might continue with you.

The false brethren above were perverting the gospel of Christ, that Paul was preaching, by adding works of the law, saying circumcision was necessary.

2:7 But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;

2:9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.

When those of reputation, which included James, Cephas, and John acknowledged that Peter was preaching his gospel to the Jews and Paul was preaching his to the gentiles. James, Cephas, and John gave Paul their approval.

There was no antagonism between Peter and Paul over their preaching different gospels. There was however, by each, a recognition of the necessity of seperation of the gospels being preached. Paul did not curse Peter for preaching another gospel. Peter's gospel was not conflicting with Paul's gospel, nor perverting it.

Acts 15:1 And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved.

15:2 When therefore Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and disputation with them, they determined that Paul and Barnabas, and certain other of them, should go up to Jerusalem unto the apostles and elders about this question.

The verse above may be the same time period as the account in Galatians.

15:3 And being brought on their way by the church, they passed through Phenice and Samaria, declaring the conversion of the Gentiles: and they caused great joy unto all the brethren.

15:4 And when they were come to Jerusalem, they were received of the church, and of the apostles and elders, and they declared all things that God had done with them.

15:5 But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.

15:6 And the apostles and elders came together for to consider of this matter.

Peter was in attendance at this council, and as can be seen below, spoke against requiring that the Gentiles be circumcised. Peter was not adding the works of the law to salvation unto eternal life. Peter preached works that accompanied salvation; baptism for the remission of sins and to receive the Holy Ghost to be prepared to enter the Kingdom on earth.

15:10 Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?

15:11 But we believe that through the grace of the LORD Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.
After the council Paul went to Antioch.

15:35 Paul also and Barnabas continued in Antioch, teaching and preaching the word of the Lord, with many others also.

The account below may be the same time frame as Acts 15:35 above.

Galatians 2:11 But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.

2:12 For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.

Paul blamed Peter for allowing the believing Jews, who were also zealous for the law, to deter Peter from holding to the truth, and the position he held on this matter. Peter feared being chastised by these Jews. Paul did not curse Peter, he rebuked him.

Acts 24:14 But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets:

Paul taught from the law and the prophets; he upheld and believed all that are written.

From the law and the prophets, Paul would have recognized that God promised a prophetic Kingdom on earth, wherein, Israel would be kings and priests, be a light to the Gentiles, and rule and reign with Christ.

Exodus 19:6 And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

Isaiah 42:6 I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;

Deuteronomy 30:4 If any of thine be driven out unto the outmost parts of heaven, from thence will the LORD thy God gather thee, and from thence will he fetch thee:

30:5 And the LORD thy God will bring thee into the land which thy fathers possessed, and thou shalt possess it; and he will do thee good, and multiply thee above thy fathers.

Jeremiah 23:5 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth.

Peter was preaching the gospel of the circumcision; he was preaching that Jesus was Lord and Christ; he was preaching that Jesus was crucified and rose again; he was preaching that Christ's resurrection assured the fulfilling of His return to establish His Kingdom on earth to believing Israel.

Below, Peter was preaching.

Acts 2:30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;

2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

Paul, knowing that Peter was an Apostle in whom God was working, and knowing the law and prophets, would have been in complete accord with Peter's gospel and God's prophetic program for Israel.
Peter was not accursed.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
The short answer is "no"

That's also the long answer.

Cassia

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Peter was a very successful disciple I would think.
Something like a successful hippy that made there way back to the garden
I think he managed to walk with Jesus within his legacy as a disciple.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
They were not teaching different gospels.
They were speaking to different people groups. Peter focused on the Jews and Paul on the Gentiles.
Same gospel

Top Bottom