THE RIGHT HANDS OF FELLOWSHIP

Doug

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Galatians 2:7 But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;

2:8 (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:)

At first, Peter, as well as Jesus, preached the gospel of the Kingdom. Israel was to repent and believe on the name of Jesus as their Messiah, that He is the Son of God; confess and be baptized. Jesus promised that he would then bring down the Kingdom of Heaven to earth, wherein, believing Israel and the twelve Apostles would rule with Christ.

The gospel of the circumcision preached that the promise of the gospel of the Kingdom was assured by the resurrection of Christ. The Kingdom of Heaven is the earthly reign of Jesus as King; the twelve Apostles will rule with Christ; Israel will be a light of salvation to the Gentiles. Believing Israel would be a nation of kings and priests unto God. This gospel also preached the receiving of the Holy Ghost.

The gospel of the uncircumcision preached that the cross, the death of Christ, the blood of Christ, provided forgiveness of sin; the resurrection of Christ provided justification unto eternal life. Paul preached that the Gentiles are fellow heirs. Paul taught that the wall of seperation between Jew and Gentile was abolished; that there was one body, the Body of Christ.

2:9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.

Paul did not refute Peter's, or any of the others, apostleship. There was no accusation from Paul that Peter's gospel was heresy, that Peter was wrong, that he was preaching a false gospel.

James, Cephas and John were in one accord, along with Paul, that Paul and Peter should continue their distinctive ministries.There was no animosity between Paul and Peter. It was recognized that Paul received a ministry from the Lord Jesus
By the gospels of Peter and Paul, God was reconciling heaven and earth to Himself. Peter's gospel was valid for Israel until their fall. God would resume His dealings with Israel and the gospel of the Kingdom would be preached once again in the last days, in the tribulation.

Paul desired unity between the gospel of the Kingdom, and gospel of the uncircumcision saints and the Body of Christ saints.

Top Bottom