Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
There is talk that the US might be returning to the moon. Do you think this will benefit us or is it just a waste of money?

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think it would be a waste of money. We are already trillions of dollars in debt with no end in sight

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'd like to be clear on the WHY of returning to the moon... but I'm not opposed to such per se.

I AM opposed to placing humans on Mars and returning them to earth... indeed, bringing anything from Mars to Earth. We can explore our neighbor by instruments and robots and we can evaluate things there rather than bringing them back. There is no reason to spend MUCH, MUCH more money on FAR, FAR less exploration by involving humans (no reason other than pure ego) - endangering both planets in the process. But we know the Moon has no life.... it's close enough to visit with very brief human visits and we know it is lifeless.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
An HD moon landing would be worth it, revisiting the flag (sun bleached by now) and foot prints from the old landing site would be neat too. It could put the flat earthers and moon landing hoax conspiracy to rest but I doubt it. I just wonder if whatever they saw on the darkside of the moon last time (that said shouldn't be there) is addressed to the public [emoji50]
As for money, most likely a waste but NASA also invents some amazing things in the process that could benefit mankind.

hotrhymez

Rhymeslayer
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Lol what's the point? What are we gonna get..more rocks..oh boy whoopee..

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Not sure what another visit to the moon is supposed to accomplish. If there's a specific reason for it then maybe, if it's a vanity project then we'd be better off putting the money towards something more useful. I'm sure there's a tinpot banana regime somewhere in the world that could be bombed, or something.

The people that believe NASA will believe regardless, the people who don't believe won't believe regardless. Pictures and even video are so easily faked these days, especially if you've got the kind of budget that a national-scale organisation has, it's hard to see how anyone is expected to be convinced of something by a video.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
One it is a precursor to a mission to Mars and 2 the space race produced all sorts of beneficial things for us that are still in use today. It is not wasted money ever to explore andlearn new things

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
One it is a precursor to a mission to Mars and 2 the space race produced all sorts of beneficial things for us that are still in use today. It is not wasted money ever to explore andlearn new things

Hence the question, what specifically are we hoping to achieve?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I believe the ultimate goal is a colony on Mars and to develop space for minerals and whatever else is out there to be mined, used

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I believe the ultimate goal is a colony on Mars and to develop space for minerals and whatever else is out there to be mined, used

Which, as I noted, would be my reason to oppose a return to the Moon.

But so far, the WHY seems pretty vague, individual and subjective. So far, it seems mostly egotistical, "It is man's DESTINY ...." Really? Maybe we should focus on doing a MUCH, MUCH better job of caring for this planet and being good residents HERE?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
There is talk that the US might be returning to the moon. Do you think this will benefit us or is it just a waste of money?

China, India, Japan, and possibly Russia plan to go to the moon so would the USA not go?

If the cost of rocketry drops enough Australia might also send somebody to the moon, though at current costs it is not very likely.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Which, as I noted, would be my reason to oppose a return to the Moon.

But so far, the WHY seems pretty vague, individual and subjective. So far, it seems mostly egotistical, "It is man's DESTINY ...." Really? Maybe we should focus on doing a MUCH, MUCH better job of caring for this planet and being good residents HERE?
Preach it brother, I think Trump and China need to hear that message since they are ones allowing so much pollution. China and the US are the two biggest contributors of greenhouse gas

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Preach it brother, I think Trump and China need to hear that message since they are ones allowing so much pollution. China and the US are the two biggest contributors of greenhouse gas

Maybe we can build a pipeline to dump it all on Mars. Apparently the Martian polar ice caps started to melt as well. Maybe we'll find little green men driving around in Hummers or something.

JRT

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
No
The space program has been of immense benefit to mankind in a great many completely unexpected ways. I say "Go for it" but as an international effort like the ISS. Sooner or later mankind will have to leave the womb.

Top Bottom