Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
No
While I agree with much of your post, I would say that the Bible is being renovated to accommodate some of ANOTHER culture's moral standards. However weakened the Christian component may be at present in our culture, that is what the atheist wants to expunge and replace with a foreign standard.

I would suggest that the Bible was itself largely written in conformity to the standards of a culture that no longer exists. I refer primarily to patriarchy which is arguably the most pernicious evil that humanity has ever inflicted on itself. Aside from the misogyny of patriarchy we also see xenophobia, homophobia and slavery. Cultural standards do change and in our case I find it to be mostly positive. The really sad thing is that it should be Christianity that should be driving cultural change but we have a long long history of actually resisting new understandings. Might I suggest that the Holy Spirit may have actually given up on some Christian denominations and is working in society at large instead.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I would suggest that the Bible was itself largely written in conformity to the standards of a culture that no longer exists. I refer primarily to patriarchy which is arguably the most pernicious evil that humanity has ever inflicted on itself. Aside from the misogyny of patriarchy we also see xenophobia, homophobia and slavery. Cultural standards do change and in our case I find it to be mostly positive. The really sad thing is that it should be Christianity that should be driving cultural change but we have a long long history of actually resisting new understandings. Might I suggest that the Holy Spirit may have actually given up on some Christian denominations and is working in society at large instead.
Culture changes, God doesnt. What is right is right and what is wrong is wrong as defined by the bible, not by society and the whims of the times we live in. No matter how much they try to change the Word, God will not and does not change nor will He lower His standards because it is inconvienient nor will He wink at sin because some no longer consider it to be so. Either you stand up and adhere to Gods standard or else God has a place for you and it isnt heaven

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I would suggest that the Bible was itself largely written in conformity to the standards of a culture that no longer exists.
Well, that is what the average atheist would contend (not that you are one yourself). The problem for Christians of any but the most liberal sort is that it conflicts with the idea that the Bible is divine revelation. Almost every denomination agrees that it is, regardless of the arguments over whether some of it might not be inspired, pros and cons concerning Sola Scriptura, the claim that parts of the Bible could be mistranslated, or etc. But if we simply stipulate that it is out of date and not authoritative for that reason, Christianity is largely dismantled.

Top Bottom