Doug

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
GALATIANS 2
2:1 Then fourteen years after I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, and took Titus with me also.

2:2 And I went up by revelation, and communicated unto them that gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, but privately to them which were of reputation, lest by any means I should run, or had run, in vain.

Paul communicated his gospel. If there is only one gospel, and they were all preaching it, why would Paul have to communicate to them what they were already preaching?

2:6 But of these who seemed to be somewhat, (whatsoever they were, it maketh no matter to me: God accepteth no man's person:) for they who seemed to be somewhat in conference added nothing to me:

Paul was not taught the gospel he preached by men, but rather, by revelations from Jesus Christ.

2:7 But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;

Peter is preaching the gospel of the Circumcision.

He is preaching repentance to Israel for crucifying Jesus. He is preaching faith in Jesus; faith in his name. Peter preached Jesus as Christ, the Son of God, and his resurrection. The resurrection of Jesus Christ would establish the future promise of His Kingdom on earth. This promised Kingdom would put him on the throne of David; enable Israel to reign and rule with him over the nations; and be a light of salvation to the Gentiles, thru the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

The gospel of the Circumcision that Peter is preaching is the fulfillment of the covenant God made with Israel.

Paul was preaching the gospel of the uncircumcision. He was sent to the Jew first, then the Gentiles. He is the Apostle to the Gentiles in the dispensation of Grace.

Paul received his ministry from revelations from Jesus Christ.Paul preached salvation in Christ as a gift given freely to all that believe.
Paul preached faith in Christ alone, and the complete salvation provided in His death on the cross and resurrection. Paul preached faith in Christ alone, faith in what Christ did on the cross in dying for our sins, as our substitute; faith in his blood and resurrection for our complete forgiveness.

In the Dispensation of Grace, which was not revealed til Paul, we will find no difference between Jew and Gentile, but rather, justification to eternal life to all who believe, Jew or Gentile, and the unity of being in one body.

Paul preached a gospel of Grace apart from Israel. A gospel that did not require the law or works.

Paul preached that the wall of seperation between Jew and Gentile was abolished by the cross.

2:8 (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:)

2:9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.

Just as an aside, the Twelve were told by Jesus to preach unto the world, but here, they are deferring to Paul.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
GALATIANS 2
2:1 Then fourteen years after I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, and took Titus with me also.

2:2 And I went up by revelation, and communicated unto them that gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, but privately to them which were of reputation, lest by any means I should run, or had run, in vain.

Paul communicated his gospel. If there is only one gospel, and they were all preaching it, why would Paul have to communicate to them what they were already preaching?

2:6 But of these who seemed to be somewhat, (whatsoever they were, it maketh no matter to me: God accepteth no man's person:) for they who seemed to be somewhat in conference added nothing to me:

Paul was not taught the gospel he preached by men, but rather, by revelations from Jesus Christ.

2:7 But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;

Peter is preaching the gospel of the Circumcision.

He is preaching repentance to Israel for crucifying Jesus. He is preaching faith in Jesus; faith in his name. Peter preached Jesus as Christ, the Son of God, and his resurrection. The resurrection of Jesus Christ would establish the future promise of His Kingdom on earth. This promised Kingdom would put him on the throne of David; enable Israel to reign and rule with him over the nations; and be a light of salvation to the Gentiles, thru the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

The gospel of the Circumcision that Peter is preaching is the fulfillment of the covenant God made with Israel.

Paul was preaching the gospel of the uncircumcision. He was sent to the Jew first, then the Gentiles. He is the Apostle to the Gentiles in the dispensation of Grace.

Paul received his ministry from revelations from Jesus Christ.Paul preached salvation in Christ as a gift given freely to all that believe.
Paul preached faith in Christ alone, and the complete salvation provided in His death on the cross and resurrection. Paul preached faith in Christ alone, faith in what Christ did on the cross in dying for our sins, as our substitute; faith in his blood and resurrection for our complete forgiveness.

In the Dispensation of Grace, which was not revealed til Paul, we will find no difference between Jew and Gentile, but rather, justification to eternal life to all who believe, Jew or Gentile, and the unity of being in one body.

Paul preached a gospel of Grace apart from Israel. A gospel that did not require the law or works.

Paul preached that the wall of seperation between Jew and Gentile was abolished by the cross.

2:8 (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:)

2:9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.

Just as an aside, the Twelve were told by Jesus to preach unto the world, but here, they are deferring to Paul.

Peter also went to the Gentiles. He does so in Acts 10 when he goes to Cornelius' house. God clearly shows Peter that the gospel is open to the Gentiles through that experience. Then they come together as you talked about in your post in Acts 15 and Paul shares his experience. But, at that point it is not new news since Peter experienced the same thing.
Though Peter's ministry mainly seems to be among the Jews and Paul's among the Gentiles. They preached the same gospel.

Top Bottom