Lutheran Only Why should I join the Lutheran Church?

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I have read in the Word that Jesus Christ died for my sins, not just of past sin but also of future sin.
It seems that no matter which domination I come across there is always a catch that although Christ died for my sins I must justify myself before him by becoming completely perfect and holy without blemish regardless of my 'working forth in Christ' attitude (grace).
I honestly notice my sinful nature but also throughout time I have noticed a slow and steady correction of self ever since my acceptance of HIM and likewise his ultimate acceptance of ME.
I fall short like many do throughout the Old and New Testament.
I struggle with doubt 24/7 and at the same time meditate on God 24/7.
When I was a teen I participated in a bible burning (as an atheist and before I was learned in scripture) and later on developed a sense of the unforgiven sin which had lead me to believe that Christ can not save me.
I don't feel the same way today, I feel that Christ did truly pay the ultimate sacrifice of my sins past, present and future but it's difficult to accept that since all the churches I have come across tell me "it's not finished, you must earn your salvation through good works"...
I see that no matter what I do I still constantly feel defeated by my sin...
There are atheist that I feel are better people people than I, there are murderers that I feel have found God and are excused, but as for me, I feel that no matter how how hard I steer and how much I should 'know better', I still find myself on a tight rope over the pit of hell in grave sin.
Please inform me what to expect if I were to show up at a Lutheran sermon.
Online videos tell me that it's likened unto the 'Catholic' church traditional concept -albeit in it's 'original' concept - the term 'catholic' meaning the 'universalism of the global Christian community' (in general).
I have seriously been considering Lutheranism as an ideal church because the ideas are well grounded in scripture, I felt afraid before because I thought it would make me lazy and abusive to Gods grace... but how can one possibly taste the fruit of salvation and return to a life of ignorance towards the cross? (Crucifying the Son of Man afresh?)
I have been praying for an answer lately and I will consider your advice with an open heart... I thank you and God bless!

Last edited:

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
I have read in the Word that Jesus Christ died for my sins, not just of past sin but also of future sin.
It seems that no matter which domination I come across there is always a catch that although Christ died for my sins I must justify myself before him by becoming completely perfect and holy without blemish regardless of my 'working forth in Christ' attitude (grace).
I honestly notice my sinful nature but also throughout time I have noticed a slow and steady correction of self ever since my acceptance of HIM and likewise his ultimate acceptance of ME.
When I was a teen I participated in a bible burning (as an atheist and before I was learned in scripture) and later on developed a sense of the unforgiven sin which had lead me to believe that Christ can not save me.
I don't feel the same way today, I feel that Christ did truly pay the ultimate sacrifice of my sins past, present and future but it's difficult to accept that since all the churches I have come across tell me "it's not finished, you must earn your salvation through good works"...
There are atheist that I feel are better people people than me, there are murderers that I feel have found God and are excused, but as for me, I feel that no matter how how hard I steer and how much I should 'know better', I still find myself on a tight rope over the pit of hell in grave sin.
Online videos tell me that it's likened unto the 'Catholic' church traditional concept -albeit in it's 'original' concept - the term 'catholic' meaning the 'universalism of the global Christian community' (in general).
I have seriously been considering Lutheranism as an ideal church possibly because the ideas are well grounded in scripture, I felt afraid before because I thought it would make me lazy and abusive to Gods grace... but how can one possibly taste the fruit of salvation and return to a life of ignorance towards the cross? (Crucifying the Son of Man afresh?)
I have been praying for an answer lately and I will consider your advice with an open heart... I thank you and God bless!
Those who are MSLC can speak. I would not recommend any other denomination beside Missouri Synod based upon the liberalism I observe in the ELCA.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Those who are MSLC can speak. I would not recommend any other denomination beside Missouri Synod based upon the liberalism I observe in the ELCA.
What does the Missouri Synod believe and what is the ELCA?
Please edify because I have no clue what you are talking about.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
What does the Missouri Synod believe and what is the ELCA?
Please edify because I have no clue what you are talking about.
ELCA is the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America. They are a liberal denomination. Many of their theologians, graduating from Luther Seminary in St Paul, MN deny the deity of Christ. They also deny the inspiration of scripture, seeing it as a flawed human source of literature that is helpful in guiding regarding moral actions, but not the very words of God. They have adopted the social gospel of loving all, inclusively, with no judgment regarding personal choices. They often have rainbow signs outside the churches to express their all inclusivity here in the Twin Cities. I do think the rural churches would likely be less liberal, but overall those churches either try to live under the radar or they have left the denomination.
There are MSLC members here at CH, they can better explain their denomination and the differences they have with the ELCA.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Lutherans are joined together by Synods (it means walking together) and these synods have different levels of liberal and conservative beliefs. As Menno explained, the ELCA is the most liberal of the Lutheran synods here in the US. They have strayed from what the Lutheran Confessions declare as being biblically true.

I attend a church that is LCMS (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod) and it is conservative. Have you looked at their web page yet? I haven't looked in a while but they used to have an okay FAQ page of questions and answers. I think the WELS used to have a better one though. That's another Synod and is more conservative.

Now onto the juicy part about forgiveness of sins you asked about in the OP! Yes, your sins were forgiven at the cross. Every single one of them. Jesus isn't going to go back to the cross to die for your next sin, is He? No. It was finished at the cross. That's a big difference between the Lutherans and other denominations. Lutherans aren't afraid to talk about forgiveness. Look around on other Christian websites where there are denominational forums and you'll find that rarely forgiveness is mentioned. I was kicked out of an evangelical board similar to MySpace because I told the members that Jesus forgave their sins at the cross. They said I couldn't say that! :scared: They insisted my sins couldn't be forgiven until ____ fill in the blank___. They totally left out Jesus and the cross! To me that is horrifying.

Now repentance is the bridge to coming to terms with what we've done wrong and turning to God in trust that He forgives us. Repentance isn't what we do all on our own to earn forgiveness and you'll see people trying to imply that's the way it happens. It's actually God working within us. When we sin, God wants us to know we did wrong. He doesn't want to leave us in despair though so He lets us know that He loves us and we're forgiven. But this forgiveness isn't something new out of the blue. It goes back to the cross. That's where the atonement was made.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

... then you've not been to a Lutheran church, lol.....

Yes, the adopted children of God ARE to become more Christ-like (in a process called "Sanctification - narrow" or discipleship) but this is the RESPONSE to justification/salvation, not the cause of it. Lutherans are bold and crystal clear that Jesus is the Savior... it's Jesus that does the Saving... God is the Lord and GIVER of life.

Which is why Lutherans begin every worship service with confession/repentance....

And agree with St. Paul that we are the chief of sinners...

We are always BOTH sinners (because we fall short of the mark) AND saints (because in Christ, we are forgiven).

The devil is not creative.... His "MO" is to
1. Focus everything on self, to make self as big and important as possible and Christ as small and unimportant as possible.
2. To harass us with our sins and doubts - as if SELF is the cause of salvation, as if SELF is why God loves and blesses.

When the devil plays his game, tell him where to go. Then do the sign of the Cross, recall your baptism, and repeat out loud John 3:16.

Run! Don't walk but run!

God's Word... the Law to crush and guide, the Gospel to enliven, comfort and motivate.

I have seriously been considering Lutheranism as an ideal church because the ideas are well grounded in scripture, I felt afraid before because I thought it would make me lazy and abusive to Gods grace... but how can one possibly taste the fruit of salvation and return to a life of ignorance towards the cross? (Crucifying the Son of Man afresh?)

The devil tells us that what God wants from His children is FEAR. He's wrong. What God desires is love for Him and others.... love that is active, serving, giving.... love that response because of love. Ulitmately, we do good to our spouse and kids because we love them... not because we fear the government will arrest us and punish us if we don't. When you child gives you a gift because they love you and want to bless you, that means much more than they giving a gift because they feel they got to and you might stop giving them gifts if they don't.

What's the difference between the ELCA and LCMS??

https://www.lcms.org/about/beliefs/faqs/denominations#elca-differences

But it's important to remember that there is a wide range of beliefs and practices in the ELCA. SOME are virtually identical to the LCMS, in spite of the denomination's position. Some parishes have left ELCA but most are "trapped" by the finances and polices of the ELCA and so just hold to conservative beliefs while technically belonging to ELCA.

I'll post more later.... including why I finally became Lutheran.

Thank you! Blessings!!

- Josiah

Last edited:

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
There are atheist that I feel are better people people than I, there are murderers that I feel have found God and are excused, but as for me, I feel that no matter how how hard I steer and how much I should 'know better', I still find myself on a tight rope over the pit of hell in grave sin.

Only a quick comment here, but a conservative Lutheran church like the LCMS or the WELS would be -- out of all the Christian denominations that exist-- very close to the BEST choices, given what you have outlined in your original post. (Probably the WELS, if you had a choice between the two.)

RichWh1

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
DHoffman said:
all the churches I have come across tell me "it's not finished, you must earn your salvation through good works"...

Ephesians 2:8-10 says we are saved to do good works we are not saved by doing good works.
That is the difference between salvation by grace through faith and salvation by works

Jesus said " it is finished" meaning He finished the work of salvation.

Sent from my Z557BL using Tapatalk

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
It's like music to my ears, every comment here, I really appreciate the sincere advise and honest answers.. also I didn't realise how many Lutherans we have here, some were obvious but I try not to judge or guess any ones denomination instead I focus on their personal and honest representation of scripture.
I woke up this morning and went to work feeling a little bummed as usual, (I'm a cranky morning person and tend to relate that with some form of spiritual trouble) but when I read all the responses I felt much better.
I want to respond to each post personally but it's tricky using quotations with Tapatalk and also I am a little beat today so for now I'm just going to thank you each quickly...
Josiah I have been running lol seems like I'm out of breathe and am thirsty for a church that can accept me... the Pentecostal church was uplifting but I became thirsty quick, I felt like if I saw a member of the church somewhere at a store that they would judge me by what's in my cart (is buying a red bull or a beard grooming kit the devil? better put that back just in case)..
Lamm I never thought about it that way, you see the last church had a bible study leader that taught me that with every sin I make I am crucifying Jesus again (from Hebrews) :/ but yes exactly your point, if I happen to slip up and curse out loud over spilt beans is Jesus going to climb back on the cross??
Albion and Menno, thanks for the information, I wouldn't know where to start because the local towns newspaper has a variety of sub denominations so I appreciate the insight very much.
Rich amen! It IS finished! and another great verse I love is.. "And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption." -Ephesians 4:30

Last edited:

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
... then you've not been to a Lutheran church, lol.....

Yes, the adopted children of God ARE to become more Christ-like (in a process called "Sanctification - narrow" or discipleship) but this is the RESPONSE to justification/salvation, not the cause of it. Lutherans are bold and crystal clear that Jesus is the Savior... it's Jesus that does the Saving... God is the Lord and GIVER of life.

Which is why Lutherans begin every worship service with confession/repentance....

And agree with St. Paul that we are the chief of sinners...

We are always BOTH sinners (because we fall short of the mark) AND saints (because in Christ, we are forgiven).

The devil is not creative.... His "MO" is to
1. Focus everything on self, to make self as big and important as possible and Christ as small and unimportant as possible.
2. To harass us with our sins and doubts - as if SELF is the cause of salvation, as if SELF is why God loves and blesses.

When the devil plays his game, tell him where to go. Then do the sign of the Cross, recall your baptism, and repeat out loud John 3:16.

Run! Don't walk but run!

God's Word... the Law to crush and guide, the Gospel to enliven, comfort and motivate.

The devil tells us that what God wants from His children is FEAR. He's wrong. What God desires is love for Him and others.... love that is active, serving, giving.... love that response because of love. Ulitmately, we do good to our spouse and kids because we love them... not because we fear the government will arrest us and punish us if we don't. When you child gives you a gift because they love you and want to bless you, that means much more than they giving a gift because they feel they got to and you might stop giving them gifts if they don't.

https://www.lcms.org/about/beliefs/faqs/denominations#elca-differences

But it's important to remember that there is a wide range of beliefs and practices in the ELCA. SOME are virtually identical to the LCMS, in spite of the denomination's position. Some parishes have left ELCA but most are "trapped" by the finances and polices of the ELCA and so just hold to conservative beliefs while technically belonging to ELCA.

Thank you! Blessings!!

- Josiah

Great link thanks for sharing, it's an interesting read and well put together

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Hoping you’d be willing to answer this.

For ‘me’ Christianity is my world view but not necessarily through the lens of a fundamentalist perspective. It must satisfy my understanding of authentic truth while supporting my emotional well being and Lutheranism does both for me.

On one hand it throughly and harmoniously supports a biblical exegegetical interpretation while embracing the historic Christian practices and flavor. While on the other hand it soothes my conscience through law and Gosple, absolution and an accurate articulation of monergism. I’ve found that a synergistic approach to life ends up stealing my peace invoking a hamster wheel effect by constantly trying to earn God’s favor rather than being motivated by gratitude and relationship for God’s grace freely given.

TurtleHare

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Andrew have you been to a Lutheran church to visit yet and if you haven't would you consider attending and seeing what it's like and I'm not talking some whacky contemporary happy clappy water down jesus message type of service. Go for a liturgical church if you can find one close and if you can't then go out a bit farther and tackle it and listen to that law and gospel and and you'll find that it's a service that is Jesus focused and it will soothe your soul.

Top Bottom