Books: What 'Christian Classics' have you read?

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
So, has anyone read any of what they consider to be Christian classics? I've read many C.S. Lewis books - I was hooked on the Narnia stories when I was a kid, but maybe didn't fully understand the theological points behind them. When I revisited them as an adult it shed a whole new night on the stories. There are a few other Lewis books I've read (Screwtape Letters and another I don't recall). Mere Christianity is one I haven't picked up yet.

Another that I found interesting and still need to finish is John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress. Quite a deep story. Mostly allegory, told from the perspective of the main character being in a dream state and it follows what he sees in his dream.

So, what has anyone else read? What would you recommend?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I Googled Christian Classic Books and I realized I only recognized a couple. I have read the Narnia books but that was so long ago I don't remember much about them and the movies seemed hardly familiar.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
So, has anyone read any of what they consider to be Christian classics? I've read many C.S. Lewis books - I was hooked on the Narnia stories when I was a kid, but maybe didn't fully understand the theological points behind them. When I revisited them as an adult it shed a whole new night on the stories. There are a few other Lewis books I've read (Screwtape Letters and another I don't recall). Mere Christianity is one I haven't picked up yet.

Another that I found interesting and still need to finish is John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress. Quite a deep story. Mostly allegory, told from the perspective of the main character being in a dream state and it follows what he sees in his dream.

So, what has anyone else read? What would you recommend?

Yes, I recently took up a Catholic classic of the Protestant revolt and Catholic reformation period. It is a set of letters or tracts used in France to re-evangelise the people of a region that had become predominantly Calvinist in sentiment. Interesting in content and surprising in result, the whole region reconverted to the true faith having learned the errors of the new - and erroneous - religion of Calvin.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I read the whole chronicles of narnia series as a kid.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Yes, I recently took up a Catholic classic of the Protestant revolt and Catholic reformation period. It is a set of letters or tracts used in France to re-evangelise the people of a region that had become predominantly Calvinist in sentiment. Interesting in content and surprising in result, the whole region reconverted to the true faith having learned the errors of the new - and erroneous - religion of Calvin.

Which book? I'm not biased either way in what i tend to read

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
I Googled Christian Classic Books and I realized I only recognized a couple. I have read the Narnia books but that was so long ago I don't remember much about them and the movies seemed hardly familiar.

I did the same search and have heard of a good number of them. They've probably gone through my mind as "I should really read that one" (especially 'The Imitation of Christ' and 'The Cost of Discipleship'), but never bothered to pick them up. My preference is for print books and there's a decent bookstore that carries a number of these for relatively cheap

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I did the same search and have heard of a good number of them. They've probably gone through my mind as "I should really read that one" (especially 'The Imitation of Christ' and 'The Cost of Discipleship'), but never bothered to pick them up. My preference is for print books and there's a decent bookstore that carries a number of these for relatively cheap

Church rummage sales usually have cheap books :)

Top Bottom